“Another Excellent Stay”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #53 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We spent 2 nights here recently on a Saturday & Sunday.
We were given a complimentary upgrade to the 6th floor where our room was very large and to a good standard with a lovely view across to Arthurs Seat.
We also had access to the 'library' which is for the exclusive use of guests on the 6th floor, which added to the 'special feel' of our stay.
The staff here are an absolute credit to the hotel and their attention to detail and outstanding manners and customer service are among the best I have ever enjoyed.
Breakfast is the usual buffet style, but the cooked items are freshly prepared and of a very high quality.
This hotel is a brisk 15 minute walk from Princess Street and about 20 minutes from the Castle.
I would whole heartedly recommend this hotel to everyone.
A special thank you to the superb staff and Management here.
Well done!!!!
Ian from Durham

Room Tip: 6th floor upgrades are worth asking for as a complimentary offer.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Ian,

Thank you for you glowing review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. I am delighted along with the team here that you had another enjoyable weekend with us and that they looked after you so well.

We appreciate the recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back!

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Holyrood Hotel

Reviewed June 23, 2013

As an 'Elite' member of their loyalty scheme I thought I would get well looked after.How wrong! Kept waiting until manager came down on arrival due to room shortages, air conditioning did not work on 6th floor etc etc.On checkout asked if all was OK,on answwering No there was not any interest in the reason for that reply.My impression is that they want large bookings on holidaymakers on coach tours that can be shipped in and out quickly - not personal customers

Dear Oakless,

Many thanks for reviewing your stay with us at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

Firstly I would like to thank you for your custom as a loyalty member across the Macdonald chain. I along with my Reception Manager with whom you spoke to profusely apologies for the misunderstanding upon arrival and again upon departure. I can assure you this is not indicative of our normally high standards of customer care and attention to detail here at the Holyrood.

I very much appreciate your feedback and do hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future and ensure your stay is a very memorable one for all the right reasons.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed here one night during a tour of Scotland. The hotel is fairly well located within easy walking distance of the city centre. However, on checking in we noticed that the in-house restaurant was called "Steak and Grille" and after a look at the menu decided that we would return here in the evening to eat. Needless to say, we passed many excellent dining places during our tour around Edinburgh so we were looking forward to a nice juicy steak on returning to the hotel that evening.

On arriving we were shown to our table and offered armchairs to sit in - which resulted in our chins being approximately 4" above the table top! We asked for another table, but the staff duly brought more acceptable dining chairs, although there certainly appeared to be a shortage of these in the dining room - everyone else seemed to be sitting with their chins barely above their plates. However, it got worse.

When we ordered the food we were informed that of the four steaks on the grille menu, NONE were available! The only beef available wasn't even on the menu - a rump steak. We both ordered this as our main course, but when it arrived it was clear why it wasn't on the menu - it looked and had the texture and tase of warm cardboard! The staff didn't seem to notice, or question, that most of the food remained uneaten - presumably to be served to the next dumb schmuck that ordered steak in their "Steak & Grille Restaurant". At least they replaced the bottle of wine which was still fermenting when openned.

Of course, by the time this had transpired it was too late to leave and go back to any of the other restaurants we had passed earlier whilst looking forward to dining here. The Macdonald Holyrood Hotel's Steakhouse without steak reminds me of the song about the pub with no beer - a thoroughly disappointing experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ken M

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review, I appreciate your feedback and we have actioned the issues you mentioned with our Head Chef and Restaurant Team to ensure this does not re occur. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the overall experience. We endeavour to deliver the finest food quality and produce across the group, however we failed on this occasion as we were unable to provide the items on the menu.

The Steak & Grill restaurant is soon to be fully refurbished in October along with our bar and lounge area giving it a very modern look and feel along with a rebrand. I do hope you will return to us and experience this, should you reconsider please feel free to contact myself directly and I will be happy to look after you.

Kind Regards

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a clean comfortable hotel near the quiet end of the High Street but within walking distance of the city centre. I must thank the head concierge and his night staff who arranged valet parking and assisted my departure at about 2 a.m. the following day. Good, old-fashioned service is this hotel's pride. I thoroughly recommend it.

Dear letheon,

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit and that you retuned to us after your stay last year. I was really pleased to learn that the team again looked after you and you enjoyed the location and valet service. We take great pride in meeting our guests expectations and delivering ‘good old fashioned service’.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Holyrood Hotel next year should you return to Edinburgh!

Kindest regards

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Me and my girlfirend booked this hotel for a couple days last week. We were impressed by the beautiful dacour and helpfulness of the staff. The staff were very helpful in getting us around and providing a great level of service.

I would strongly recomend using the hotels spa as it is well equipt and fully matained.

If i was to mark anything the hotel could of done better is in a few details about the room. Although the rooms are spacious, the room was bolling hot / air con was not very powerful and that the tv was always losing signal.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Freme_Bookings

Dear Rich_mayhew

Thank you for submitting your review of your experience following your stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay overall and appreciate the helpful details you provided.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We just returned from our honeymoon in which we stayed here for 3 of those nights. When we arrived, there was a line at the front desk but instead of waiting, we were greeted by Jacob from the concierge. He immediately grabbed our bags started introducing himself, and before we knew it it was our turn. I had a hard time finding a working ATM at the airport and was visibly freaking out (assuming my bank card was not working) And Jacob was doing anything he could to calm me down! He even let me use his phone at the desk to call my bank. Jacob helped direct us on tours and through the city too! He was a great asset to our trip. We enjoyed talking to him! We got to our room which was a great size and very clean. The bathroom was basically remodeled. We spent each night in the hotel bar with an amazing bartender. The food was great when we ate at the hotel, and breakfast was very filling! My only two complaints were the comfort of our bed, which was like sleeping on the floor, and the air conditioning. I understand they are not used to hot weather, but we were dying in there at night! They were nice enough to bring us up a fan, but we still needed air! Other than that it was a great hotel, a nice walk to and from the Royal Mile!

Dear Mmart87,

Thank you so much for your lovely review, we are delighted that you had such an enjoyable Honeymoon and were able to look after you. Jacob was especially pleased you mentioned him in person.

I am sorry that you found the room to be exceptionally warm, our air handling units are in working order however we do provide fans to all our rooms to assist with additional cooling. Our air conditioning system is currently under review as the hotel is about to undergo an extensive refurbishment which will involve upgrading our current system.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future or maybe in 2014 for your 1st anniversary! Thank you once again for your kind comments.

Kindest regards

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Traveling as a single in a CIE tour of 32, I enjoyed the large, comfortable room, with desk & extra seating (tho no view to speak of)..... unlike the small "maid's rooms" I was given at some hotels (tho I'd paid a lot for a supplement). Found the private library too late to enjoy it, but it would have made a lovely place to have breakfast or before dinner drink. Lovely, large bathroom with shower & tub.
Concierge & desk service very accommodating, especially Jacob. The restaurant was adequate, but the food mediocre for the price. Hard to get the room cool as bright sunshine had beaten into the room all afternoon - not a problem they're used to having!
Somewhat hard walk to Holyrood Palace, but very convenient to good sightseeing. Both nights there (Fri & Sat) they had prom parties but it didn't really inconvenience the guests, except for party sounds wafting through the windows late into the evening. The most jarring note was their habit of emptying huge amounts of glass bottles in the trash outside several times in the middle of the night.
The hotel was kind enough to supply "breakfast in a bag" & early coffee for our group before 6:45 a.m. airport pickups & really made a perfect place to end a full & exhausting week in Scotland.

Room Tip: if it's sunny, stay away from the West side in summer
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank j h
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear jh,

Many thanks for reviewing the Macdonald Holyrood hotel from your recent visit. It was lovely to hear that you enjoyed your room and location being centrally located at the bottom of the Royal Mile.

I have resolved the points raised with the team here to ensure they do not re occur.

Thank you of your feedback as it is vital for me to monitor the service and standards that we strive to deliver.

I do hope that I have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel on a future visit.

Best wishes