“Very comfortable hotel”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #52 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 30, 2012

The reception area is pleasant and I found the staff both on reception and throughout the hotel very friendly and helpful. The room was big and comfortable and the bathroom of a decent size. Breakfast good and certainly above the standard of the vast majority of hotels.

The conference facilities were very good with light airy rooms and well appointed, The one that we used had a balcony which was very welcome on a warm sunny day.

An all round enjotyable stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NB1957

Reviewed March 28, 2012

This was a 3day rail included "Superbreak" visit to Edinburgh and we opted for 1st class travel.I would recommend this for long train journeys.

This hotel was about 10mins walk from Waverley rail station with the aid of a map from their website.It lived up to its 4 star status with a pleasant welcome at reception at all times.They were also very helpful and knowledgable about local attractions.Maps of the City were freely given out by reception staff and plenty of advice was given.

We had dinner in the hotel on our first evening and had no regrets about that.We went of to bed quite satisfied.

Breakfast was also excellent.We opted for a full English or is it a full Scottish,anyway,a cooked breakfast.Only marred on the second morning by a lady who sat down in the breakfast room only to be talking far too loud into her mobile phone,[as too many people do these days] The staff were not comfortable when I said this was not acceptable.So I had to politely but firmly say to the lady we all wanted to have a quiet breakfast and it would be a good idea if she left the room to take calls.She was oblivious to other peoples comfort and unaware how loud and rude she was.Hotels please take note,hang a sign outside dining/breakfast rooms.....NO MOBILES

The Hotel was situated in good walking distance of most attractions and almost next door to the ghastly new Scottish Pariament building.Oh my goodness,this is typical of huge overspending of other peoples money.It is an aweful concrete and bamboo type poles over modern[ugly]place designed by a Spaniard,yes a Spaniard {why not a Scot ?] With our weather within 10 years it will probably need knocking down.

Anyway gripe over.Well done MacDonald Holyrood Hotel and your well trained staff we very much enjoyed our stay in Edinburgh.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

The staff, location and facilities at Macdonald Holyrood are all fantastic. We had a brilliant stay.

Our room was gorgeous - not sure if it was a standard room or a junior suite, but it was large and very comfortable. The bathroom was lovely, too.

The spa facilities were nice - fairly small, as you'd expect in a hotel. But nice and clean, with very helpful staff.

The bar was also lovely - despite the high prices (again, to be expected in a hotel), we had a last drink there each night before going to bed.

The staff in the hotel were fantastic. Really friendly, and so helpful.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay here again when we return to Edinburgh - which we definitely will, as it's a fantastic city.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

this place is fantastic it has a great location, spa was very good only thing missing was a jacuzzi, the rooms were nice and clean,the reception staff were very helpful and i just love edingburgh anyway so it was the full package.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emagre
Reviewed March 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for several days to explore Edinburgh prior to a two week tour of Scotland. This is a quality establishment with top notch staff and great food. It is a little expensive but for the location at the bottom of the Royal Mile it's perfect if you want to talk and see everything on the way to the castle. It is also within walking distance of the shopping district near the train terminal.

Room Tip: The best rooms are on the top floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Arriving at this hotel, two of the reception staff were busy chatting, and didn't see me for several minutes. I checked in, and asked where the parking was, and was told there was valet parking, at £20 per night. OK, a bit steep. I asked if there was wireless broadband, there was, an extra £10. I was then advised that there was no breakfast included in my room rate, and that would be an extra £20. The bill was mounting up. I had already driven 350 miles, so decided to eat in the restaurant within the hotel, to save wandering around looking for a restaurant. It took more than 5 minutes, with an empty restaurant for the Indian(?) waiter to notice me. He eventually sat me down at a table where I ordered my drink and perused the menu. Ten minutes later, I was ready to order, didn't yet have my drink, and there was no sign of any waiters. Same waiter eventually came to my table to ask if I was ready to order. (At this point, I was aware of the most appalling body odour from the waiter, as though he hadn't washed in a month). I said yes, but where was my drink. He duly apologised, and said he would bring it straight away. He took my order and disappeared. Bearing in mind there were only two other people in the restaurant (at 1 table), my meal arrived nearly 30 minutes later, and I still didn't have a drink. The food was brought to me by a particularly unkempt looking restaurant manager, who smelled like he smoked 100 cigarettes per day. I told him of the body odour issue, which he assured me he was aware of and was dealing with. I explained that 40 minutes on I still didn't have the drink I ordered, and it came within 5 minutes. The room was very ordinary, and staff grasp of English very poor. Coupled with poor service and hygiene I would not come here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank steve c
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Just returned from a fantastic stay at the Holyrood hotel, we booked 5 rooms and all were in lovely condition. The breakfast was very good, and the staff were all very helpful. I would not hesitate in recommending the hotel .