“Excellent stay.”

Ranked #35 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Somerset
“Excellent stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2006

Picked from this website we were very pleased with our choice.
from check-in to departute the staff vere extremely helpfull and polite. 15 mins from Princes Street The Channings is ideal for everything you want. Excellent choice at breakfast, clean spacious rooms. Free internet access was a bonus, a must in this day and age.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — You wont go far wrong here.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank patrobin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Western Ireland, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2006

Having read reviews of this hotel, and looked at their website, we booked a superior room, and looked forward to some of the luxury we had read about. Unfortunately our room was disappointingly ordinary, as was the bathroom. There may have been a good view if the tall trees opposite the hotel were cut down! There was only one small radiator but we couldn't get it to work, and no heating in the bathroom. The extractor in the bathroom didn't work either, so the mirror was constantly steamed up.

The food was good, but the restaurant almost empty and therefore lacking in atmosphere on a Friday night.

Channings was OK, but really nothing special, and if our room was superior, I dread to think what a standard room was like.

It was, however, in a great position, a nice quiet road only 10 minutes walk from the City Centre, and the staff were friendly, though not always terribly on the ball!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tandsd
Chevy Chase, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2006

I arrived at the Edinburg airport and took the express bus downtown. Little did I know that the bus passed a block away from Channings off Queensferry Road and paid the 10 pounds to taxi back to the hotel. At first glance the hotel looked a bit run down and small from the quiet street as I exited the cab. I even asked the cab driver if I was at the right place having had a different impression from the website photographs. My misgivings vanished upon my greeting from the young lady at the desk. The hotel lobby has the look of a living room, perhaps in need of some new carpet but attractive. A quick checkin had me shortly riding the tiny elevator to my second floor room. The hallways are narrow as Channings is three townhouses combined but I was amazed at the size of my room with a bay window framing Tony Blair's university in the distance. It was a great view. The bathroom was equally large, clean and modern and the bed was huge with a wonderful white duvet to dive into after a long days sightseeiing. Breakfast was included in my stay and was served downstairs in the modern light filled resturant. Late night drinks in the bar chatting with guests, mostly Americans, and locals stopping in for a sherry with their labs was relaxing and fun. The staff couldn't have been more attentive and the walk or easy bus, the 19 or 41 get you onto Prince Street in minutes. Finally the free internet access thru the TV in your room is a service that every hotel today should provide yet doesn't. As a world traveler I give Channings four out of five stars. Replace the carpet.

• Liked — Comfort, quiet, friendly staff
  • Disliked — the carpet
  • Tips/Secrets — buy the day pass on the bus
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank rjmurphyjr
Fort Wayne, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2006

I don't think that I could put in words how fabulous this place is! The front desk staff were extremely helpful and super nice! The room was huge and the view was great! This hotel is within walking distance of Princes Street and the castle, but far enough away to not have to deal w/street noise. The food in the restaurant was terrific!

2 Thank catlady6
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2006

The staff in Channings go out of their way to be helpful and friendly which creates a lovely, welcoming atmosphere about the hotel. The hotel is lovely as well, from the outside courtyard to cosy bar, I would definitely recommend staying here to anyone.

• Liked — staff
3 Thank Elli24
Heathfield, East Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2006

My husband and I stayed for a long weekend arriving on Friday 8th September. We stayed in room 12 with a jacuzzi bath!

From the minute we arrived until the time we left the staff could not have been more helpful but were never intrusive.

The building itself is beautiful but comfortable and in no way pretentious.

Our room was clean, nicely furnished with the aforementioned bathroom.

All in all we had a great time and would highly recommend this hotel

• Liked — Spacious, well furnished room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Bear in mind 10 - 15 min walk to City centre
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 2265tah
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2006

My husband and I spent a long weekend at Channings recently and had an absolutely fantastic time from the minute we entered the front door.

The reception team and porters are some of the friendliest and helpful people we have come across in hotels. Nothing was a problem and ladies some of guys are quite cute!!!!!

We were lucky enough to have booked one of their fantastic new Shackleton rooms on the top floor, like one of the last reviewers we too had the yellow room but we loved it! It has the biggest bathroom I have ever seen, underground heating, wet room shower and a huge bath what more do you want?! Yes the style is slightly different from the rest of the hotel but it is slightly more modern and looks great! Reading the other person's review made me laugh she/he obviously sees themselves as critic/author. We used the info book and found 2 fantastic restaurants, if you like Italian go to La Piazza!!!!

Breakfast portions are a bit on the small side but they have a decent size of buffet that suited me better as I prefer the healthier option in the mornings.

The only real bad thing about our stay was that we had to leave!!!

We will definitely be going back!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — distance from city centre
  • Tips/Secrets — booking the top florr rooms!
8 Thank TouringTim