“tacky bar”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #46 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed March 23, 2009

We did not actually stay in the hotel. My daugher and I called in for a drink about 5 pm on a Saturday. We noticed an univiting bar on our left in the basement as we approached the front door of the hotel, but assumed a drink could be ordered upstairs in their very comfortable looking lounge. Instead we were directed back to the basement. We passed the open doors of storage rooms and then what must be the restaurant, whose tables were completely bare. There was a rugby match on a plasma screen in the bar, and two men sitting at the bar drinking. We were completely ignored by the staff and left after 10 minutes It's a pity the care obviously taken upstairs is not followed through in the bar.

• Stayed: March 2009
Write a ReviewReviews (1,331)

Reviewed March 16, 2009

we have stayed here several times and it is our favourite in edinburgh. the hotel is small friendly and has a great location. the rooms are luxuriously decorated, all with a different theme. good supply of toiletries, bathrobes, flat screen tv, internet access etc. the breakfast is excellent with choice of full cooked or salmon, kippers or what ever takes you fancy. we have stayed in their sister hotels, the edinburgh residence ( a nightmare) and in the bonham (nice but comtempory)the channings is definately the best. the staff couldnt do enough for you and incredibly it has been the same staff each time we have been, the manager tells us that staff like it and stay on!!!1

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank nelly1367
Reviewed March 8, 2009

Stayed here for a weekend with my wife and my mother and father in another room. On arrival we were checked in swiftly and shown to our rooms. My parents room had obvioulsy been renovated but ours certainly wasnt. I asked to change rooms and was shown another room which I must admit was better but not by much. Breakfast in the mornings was probably the worst part of our stay. On Saturday morning my father asked for full scottish breakfast. The eggs that arrived on his plate could only be described as very over fried, hard yolks etc. I asked for poached eggs and sausage and what arrived on a huge plate was 1 poached and and one sausage. It looked lost on the plate. I asked the waitress for more sausages and she returned with another two one being burnt black. The service in general at breakfast was poor, never being offered refils of coffee and just a lack of observation and friendliness by the staff. The staff in other parts of the hotel were slightly more friendly but not outstanding. We checked out the review on trip advisor which swayed us into staying there. Maybe they just had an off weekend but I dont think at the prices we paid we will be going back to find out.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank stuart1895
Reviewed March 4, 2009

We booked the special Sunday night dinner, bed and breakfast deal for 2 for £99 through the hotel website. This included standard double, three course dinner and full breakfast. It was a bargain for what we got.

Firstly the room was great. We previously stayed here in 2006 and booked an upgraded room. The only difference was that the upgraded room had a roll top bath and separate shower, while the standard had a normal bath with over bath shower. The room itself was just as nice. So for the difference in cost I would say its not worth the extra.

Location. As said in the other reviews it is a 15 minute walk up to Princess street. The hotel is situated on a lovely quiet residencial street with great views if you get a room looking the right way. We felt the walk into the centre was quite picturesque and just right if you want to be slightly away from the hustle and bustle.

The food was also good. We really enjoyed the dinner, although the menu had a limited selection due to the deal, with a choice of 3 starters, mains and sweets. The cost for just visiting the hotel and having the 3 course set menu was £25 a head, which we though was quite pricey as there are a lot of places in Edinburgh, with better food and better ambience for the money, by the time you add in your wine. Breakfast was pretty average.

The staff at the hotel seemed very nice and helpful, especially the concerirge at check-in. The only little niggle we had was when we went down to the bar at 11.30. Granted it was a sunday night and the staff wanted to get home, but we were on holiday. When I asked for a certain cocktail I had 2 years ago I got a blunt 'we dont do that' - no offer of any alternative. We then sat in silence in the empty bar drinking our £4.50 G&T's and when we got up to leave, nice lounge music was turned on!

Overall though this deal/hotel represents great value for money in pricy edinburgh.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rurphy
Reviewed February 19, 2009

The Welcome -
Simply wonderful and very personal. The staff are a credit to this hotel and really make the stay. They are all extremely happy to help and indeed, go out of their way to do so.

The Room -
I had a petit double which in fact was larger than I expected. It was lavishly decorated with regal blackout curtains and a very comfortable bed. I had a great night's sleep. While the bathroom was nice, my only gripe would be that there was no cream/body lotion which is unusual for a hotel of this standard. The water pressure was also rather low.

Room Service -
Fabulous. Very quick, beautifully presented and the best baked potato and wine I have ever had! I never thought a baked potato could be so luxurious!

Breakfast -
A nice spread but very disappointed that you have to pay extra (!) for hot chocolate!!! When I heard this, I chose not to order it but when the manager heard that I do not drink tea or coffee, she very kindly gave me a sumptuous cup of hot chocolate on the house. While very grateful for this, I do not think it is fair to charge extra for this generally.

Location -
This was perfect for my business trip but I did not evaluate this as a tourist. The staff are extremely helpful in directing or recommending trips. It is perhaps a little far out for town.

Overall -
A really very enjoyable and impressive stay - I will definitely stay again. Check out the hotel website's own internet offers - very reasonable.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank MissFussyUk
Reviewed February 12, 2009

Stayed here with my partner between Christmas and New Year. We like hotels which have traditional features, not the usual hotels with cheap, modern furniture.
Had a brilliant stay, gorgeous room with lovely view of the city. Large, comfortable bed and lovely, warm room! Lovely furniture and nice big wardrobe. Bathroom was slightly small but clean and adequate to our needs.

Staff were very friendly and able to offer advice on places to eat etc.
Cosy lounges have fires which add to the ambience of this traditional hotel.
Delicious breakfasts-everything you could ask for. Would definately stay here again.
Channings is situated on a quiet street, only a short walk from the nearest bus stop. Lovely surroundings and an excellent hotel to retire to at the end of a busy day in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lc1208
Reviewed November 30, 2008

Our booking was a last minute whim, in order to visit two of our sons in Edinburgh; as most of the reasonably priced hotels were booked we thought we would treat ourselves to some luxury.
The hotel is luxurious, but we both felt more could have been done in little things to warrant the £185.00 we paid for one night.
We ate in the restaurant, knowing that we were paying high prices for what we imagined would be fine dining.
It was mediocre for the price,two of the party had rib-eye steak; which looked as if it would fared better in a sandwich.
Ran out of sausages and smoked salmon for breakfast.
expected guests to pay for water in bedroom.
I felt so sad that we had paid so much and received so little for price.
Only recommend to friends if they have money to burn.
Julie from Aberdeen

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank juspa