“Excellent hotel - lovel rooms and breakfast”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a romantic weekend there from 17 January 2013 to 20th January 2013. The room was excellent - not the standard boring hotel room. The breakfast was delicious and set us up for the day.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I highly recommend this charming hotel, which is located at about 10-15 minutes walking distance from the old town. The hotel is in a calm, more residential area and upon entering, makes you feel like you are staying at someone's townhouse and not a hotel. The staff is attentive and welcoming.

What makes this property special are the public areas: a cozy living room with a lit fireplace, and adjacent reading rooms. You can even book the library for a private dinner, or have dinner at the restaurant (a bit pricey). This is a place where you can relax and feel at home.

The room was nice and clean, as shown on the website. We were in the ground floor and found it to be a bit loud in the morning, as we could hear staff walking around getting things ready. I would definitely stay here again, but ask for a room in the upper floors.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Lovely room, huge (and very comfortable bed), big bathroom and really clean. Left one morning for breakfast and by the time we came back, the room was tidied and bed was made. Very close to everything and in a nice part of town. Lots of choice at breakfast and drinks wise at the bar.
Only two small things which would have made our stay perfect. One, being the shower in our room (48). This was a little slow to get going and not very powerful. A couple of times the water went cold but soon went hot again. The other thing was breakfast. Our first morning, this was faultless, with attentive staff and quick service. The Sunday morning however was quite slow and the hot breakfast not as well cooked. Appreciate it was very busy, but one of us had to send the eggs back for being very underdone. The tomatoes were also burnt and these were not re-cooked when the plate was taken away for the eggs to be cooked more. Staff had no problem dealing with this.
These were only two very small issues, and was only disappointed with breakfast on morning two because it was so perfect the morning before.
Neither of these would ever put us off staying here again. It really was a lovely hotel we would very much look forward to staying in and recommending to others in the future. Thank you for a lovely time and amazing nights' sleep!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jem0986
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I Stayed here with my girlfriend for Hogmany 2012. 15 mins walk to princess st. Nice and clean hotel. Really friendly staff who even whipped me up some stew when I staggered in at 2am after the new year hogmany. Good selection of whisky too. Highly recommended . There is also some free street parking about half a mile away down the road for those who are driving.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at Channings over Christmas. Our room was spacious and had a tremendous view over Learmonth Gardens, the north of the city and beyond. Breakfast was taken in the basement conservatory and consisted of a fine selection of hot and cold dishes. There were several communal areas to sit and relax and a open coal effect gas fire in the reception area made for a very welcoming atmosphere. We will stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Let me preface with this: I travel A LOT. Mostly for work, but some personal. I've stayed at many hotels around the world, of every caliber. I can say with 100% honesty that the my stay at Channings will be remembered forever.

Our trip was booked last minute, one month before departing to celebrate New Years in Edinburgh. We chose Channings based upon Trip Advisor reviews. The property looked quaint, the location quiet and lovely, and the reviews really sold us on our selection. All this being said, nothing could have prepared me for just how beautiful a stay it truly would be.

My confidence that we'd made the right choice in terms of accommodations was solidified weeks before our arrival. I had emailed our hotel to make sure the room had two beds (as I was rooming with a friend), within hours I had an email confirmation, followed by a phone call and offers to help us plan our trip. Our concierge, Scott, truly loves his city and poured that love and attention into helping us with our plans... or actually making our plans for us. Everything was turn-key and easy. He made sure to tell us the best places to stand to watch events like the Torchlight Procession and the Fireworks, the best places to shop, the best restaurants for any cuisine you can imagine, the must see attractions and tours, etc. so that we got the most out of our short, 5 day trip. He took the time to ask questions, get to know the types of things we'd be interested in doing and surprised us daily with additions to our itinerary which, all together, made this literally the trip of a lifetime.

Scott wasn't the only member of the staff who made our trip memorable, everyone at Channings was warm, welcoming and lovely. On our last night (NYE) we arrived back at Channings well after midnight, tired and hungry but still reeling from the excitement of the night. The kitchen was closed but Kevin, the night concierge, graciously appeared with a sandwich to tie us over til morning. The best part was... he cut off the crust. C'mon now! I LOVE THIS HOTEL and I will certainly return.

Thank you Channings! I hope you all know how special you are!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennie C
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The incomparable staff at Channings made my recent holiday in Edinburgh absolutely magical. Channings is located in a quiet, beautiful neighborhood with very easy access to all that Edinburgh has to offer- shopping, sights, pubs and fun. Situated on a gorgeous street in a lovely set of townhouses, Channings is incredibly charming and its employees felt like old friends. Willing to go the extra mile for us, they made sure we had bookings in the best restaurants and tickets for the best events. A clean, comfortable setting, Channings really made our stay perfect. I'd give anything to be sitting in front of the fire at Channings enjoying a glass of prosecco right now!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back have a lovely garden view. I asked for a room facing the street and was not d...