“I loved my stay here”
Review of Channings Hotel

Channings Hotel
Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I spent three nights at Channings Hotel at the beginning of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August. The hotel was in a nice Georgian block of houses, and was an easy 15 minute walk to the city centre. My room was cosy with classy and comfortable furniture and a spotless new bathroom. Breakfast was included in the rate - buffet for cereals, fruit, bread etc. and a freshly cooked hot breakfast - none of your lukewarm bacon in a bainmarie. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,328)

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed at the Channings for three nights. The hotel has a lot of character and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was pretty good. We walked to Princes Street and theRoyal Mile. I would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We had Nimrod, one of the junior suites. It was lovely, magnificent bathroom, sumptuous furnishings the bed was one of the comfiest I have slept in. Very quiet, pretty area, and a lovely walk in to town, Princes Street about 15 mins away, including going over a magnificent bridge over a river. I do love bridges. Staff were very helpful and polite. One even appear to carry our groaning tray of breakfast up several floors. She forgot our toasts, but I fogave her based purely on her effort.
My only criticisms are slight. Junior suite is a stupid destinction for a room, when checking in we were bombarded with questions, and there was no complimentary chocolate. Ignore these petty things.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were in room 52. Channings is beautifully decorated. You can see from the photo our view facing front. Our room had a king sized bed. Very comfortable. The bed linens were high count cotton. They gave us one down and one foam pillow. It was quiet. No street noise. There's a back garden/ deck/ patio that's good for an afternoon tea or cocktail or reading in the sun etc.. It's really lovely. The staff are super nice. The Stockbridge area is 5 minutes. This is sort of like the Greenwich Village. There are a lot of "charity" shops. Which are always fun. I got a merino sweater for 12 pounds!
The walk to town the other direction is around 10 minutes or you can take the 41 bus. So you have 3 different approaches. Oh and the bus is a couple of block away and cost 1 pound 40 (exact change). The breakfast at Channings was great. The tub/shower had hot water when I wanted it. We were there at the end of August. It was a bit chilly outside but the heating was good, and subtle.
Why don't I give a perfect score? Well, the dinner food was unremarkable but I think that's a condition of UK food and there was some problems with flushing the toilet. Sometimes it took a while for the cistern to fill with water as if we were sharing a tank with next door.
All in all a positive experience. We liked the fact that we could walk into the town center across a stone bridge through a beautiful high end georgian townhouse neighborhood.

Room Tip: Front rooms have beautiful view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel is beautifully decorated and the staff are polite and helpful. If I'd had a different room I am sure my rating would be higher, so this review shouldn't dissuade you from staying. I had a petite double, which was indeed petite but nicely furnished. Unfortunately it was on a stairway with no noise protection from the front door and from the hotel reception and was exceptionally noisy- guests ring a bell to enter at night and the lobby hoovering commenced before 7am. It's not a good base for inner city activity, a taxi to the train stations costs between 8-10 GBP.

Room Tip: Avoid room 22!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank kmm2203
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Channings for 5 nights the beginning of August, 2012. I highly recommend this proterty. It is a 10 min walk or short bus ride to the center of the city. The neighborhood of Channings is a quiet residentianl area. Our room and bath were lovely: large windows and spacious bathroom, comfy bed and chairs. The two living rooms on the main floor are so inviting that we relaxed there several times. The staff could not have been more helpful or friendly. They seemed to have an answer for every question. The restaurants and bar were also excellent. The cheerful breakfast room encouraged a great start to every day. The breakfasts were the best we enjoyed during our 3 week stay in Scotland. We often had small meals and snacks in the bar when we returned to Channings after a day of touring since there are no other restaurants in the immediate neighborhood. The food was always very good and the varied menu did not get "old" over the 5 day stay. Niamh, our frequent waitress, was always a pleasure to encounter. And, the front desk attendee was always pleasant and helpful. It was a pleasure to stay in a hotel where all the staff seemed to truly enjoy their jobs.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Luxurious suite, very helpful staff, altogether delightful stay. The breakfasts were copious and delicious. Creaky floorboards on 3rd floor mean that you might be disturbed, and the wifi signal is woefully inadequate, so it makes working difficult. I don't know if that was a temporary glitch, but worth bearing in mind if you need to go online a lot.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business