This is the second time we have stayed at the Knights Residence. Last time was approx. 7 years ago and it is very pleasing to see that the standard of service and apartments is still high.
The kitchen is stocked with cereals, milk, bread, juice etc and the staff are friendly and very helpful. They have a good range of DVDs that you can rent for as little as £2.00.
Knight's residence is well situated for the Grassmarket and other parts of Edinburgh, pubs, cafes etc, well within walking distance . There is also a small Sainsbury's around the corner as well. Just after Sainsbury's there is a right hand turn into a road where there is a small Turkish café called "Truva" which does an excellent full cooked breakfast and free wifi. Friendly as well.
Yes there are a couple of Strip Joints nearby, but that was not an issue and we felt very safe. So don't let that put you off.
One criticism is the licensing laws. Edinburgh is not child friendly. If you are under 18 you can only go in a pub with adults (obviously) but you have to have a meal. Most pubs have a separate room for this which we appreciate as not everyone wants kids running around, but you cannot just go in for a drink you have to buy a meal if you have kids. Then after 20.00 hrs no children are allowed anywhere at all.
Our son is 13 yrs of age and has travelled from the age of 1 all around the world with us. France/ Spain to name a few have a great family life when going to bars etc. We have never experienced being made so unwelcome in bars or restaurants. But in Edinburgh we did. We went for an evening meal in a restaurant with our son, the bill was around £90.00 and when we asked for another coffee and drink at the end of the meal, were told we had to leave because it was after 8.00 and our son could not stay. The restaurant is called Monboddo, Point Hotel. Although after some argument they gave us a discount (because they should have told us of the policy), we felt the night was ruined and embarrassing.
Edinburgh is clearly adults only!!!! Kids stay out of sight and mind.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning one, two and three bedroom serviced apartments with private parking in the centre of Edinburgh. Established in the 1960's, Mansley were pioneers of the serviced apartment concept and The Knight Residence has been providing the best of Scottish hospitality to visitors from all over the globe since 1999. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Knight Residence by Mansley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Knight Residence Hotel Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Knight Residence
- Knight Residence
- The Knight Residence By Mansley Edinburgh, Scotland