“Cross between a hostel and a care home”

The Old Waverley Hotel
Ranked #106 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Having booked this hotel last minute on late rooms I was feeling pretty pleased to get a £239 room for £129. That was until I arrived. If faced with paying the "standard" price I think I would have preferred to sleep at the train station. Dated, tatty and grubby with the most peculiar smell which I have only encoutered when visitng care homes. I was placed in room 407 and the only saving grace was the bathroom was clean.That said I've thrown beter tea towells away than the quality of the bath towells. Then there was the running water from the air con unit down the walls and then dripping onto the carpet. Hardly the best way to get a good nights sleep. Telephoned reception who expressed suprise and said that they have never heard of this before. Maybe they should pay more attention to the reviews on this site as I'm not the first person to highlight this issue in this room. I will never stay at this hotel again ad woud sooner compromise on location to experience a better standard. Horrible.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank urmolaw2016
Write a ReviewReviews (2,183)

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel has a prime location - everything is within walking distance - and the staff is always very welcoming and helpful.

Although the hotel could do with a little updating, it is still my number one choice for hotels while in Edinburgh. It is not super-modern, but that’s just cosy and gives the hotel a soul if you ask me. The rooms are good-sized and clean, and during both of my stays I have been so fortunate as to get rooms with a castle view. Magical!

I - as a returning customer - would gladly recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Another great review and many thanks for the overwhelmingly positive comments regards to our service overall. Princes Street view is indeed amazing and our location couldn’t be better.
We are very proud and extremely happy that you have enjoyed your stay and will recommend us to the others.
Once again , many thanks for your excellent review and looking forward to see you very soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel is in a great old building with a magnificent view of the Scott Memorial and the castle, a short two minute walk from the train station. The room had high, fancy Victorian-style ceilings, and tall windows with great draperies. The beds were good. The bathroom was nice too. It really was a great room. But . . . upon entrance from the street, instead of a welcome desk, we were faced with a long staircase. There was no elevator and no person in sight. We were traveling light, so the stairs were a surprise for us but not a problem. What really made me mad was when I asked for the WiFi password and they told me I'd have to pay for it. What kind of ghetto hotel doesn't even offer WiFi? This cheap nastiness was totally at odds with the otherwise elegant atmosphere of the place. I had prepaid the room through booking.com, and it was the most expensive hotel of the trip for us, and it was very annoying to find that the plan was to squeeze more money out of me after I'd already paid all I'd budgeted. This was also the only hotel of the trip to have no hair dryer in the room.

Room Tip: I don't know if all the rooms have a great view of the castle. I assume all the rooms are walk...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

We are grateful for this guest taking the time to share his experiences.. As one of Edinburgh’s oldest hotels we are unfortunately limited in further development of our entrance area, therefore making the flight of stairs to reception unavoidable. Do note that there is a bell at the entrance which will alert or porter who will be only too happy to come and get your luggage.
I am delighted to read that the guest in question found their room clean and comfortable and I should point out that each room is provided with the hair dryer placed in one of the drawers.
We do advertise that our Wi –Fi service is chargeable as many other hotels across UK.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Checked in September 16th....The staff was niceand took care of us. The hotel was old and the room was narrow with a too big bed. Towels for only one person...we where two. Had to remind them about that. So they where not prepared.Brakfast was Ok, but thats all. Price too high. Corridores very small and narrow, mant stairs to go . The lift was small and ...you know....This is NOTGG a three star Hotel. no...no..no ! The only advantage with the Hotel is the location...that is perfect. close as possible to everything...buses to airport and city tour buses. Very good.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed there with my husband for 4 nights,great location,everything is walking distance,well,depends where you want to go and how fit you are,lot of steep hills,Edinburgh castle is like 10 min stroll away. Staff is very polite(unlike other tourists that stayed here), hotel itself is pretty quiet, although my husband couldn't sleep after 6 o'clock in the morning due to buses,(but we live in sticks with no traffic,so wouldn't be used to traffic)i had no problems sleeping till as long as i wanted,apart from few times was woken up by very merry ppl ion street.Rooms are a bit dated, but has it's old time charm, very clean,have hair dryer, iron,kettle for your tea and coffee,flat screen tv,heated towel rack in bathroom.Basically have everything you need,view from room is fantastic.Would definitely go back.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Clean and comfortable stay at this hotel. Although wasn't to pleased that a member of staff did not make it clear enough that they was taking a deposit of £25 per night. I was told no money was to be taken whilst having a credit card swipe and to my discovery money was not available 5 days in my account which I had to find out from reviews on trip advisor where my money had gone! My boyfriend had a allergic reaction to their Washing powder used for the bed sheets. There was no window in our room, so couldn't even see what the weather was doing! The air con leaked which woke us up at night dripping! staff are fully aware of this but still put you in the room 407. Some members of staff we found very rude on reception. Other than that I had a great time in Edinburgh!

Room Tip: Avoid junior suites if you want a more deluxe stay although these rooms are quiet and comfortable
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Old Waverley staff were really polite and pleasant. We had fantastic views from the Princes Street facing room that we had - room 415 - although it was a little noisy when revellers from the local pubs etc. were making their way home at 3am in the morning singing football songs. Hotel is really close to all the shops, buses and trains. The bar drinks were a little expensive but the bar would stay open as long as was needed.
Breakfast was good, included cooked breakfast (although you had to order eggs separately), and cereals, yogurt and toast. We booked a Superbreak so our flight and hotel was included, but when I saw the room tariff on the wall in Reception I would never have paid the room charge that they have advertised. Decor is very dated, our room had a good bathroom, but didn't have a wardrobe as it just had a rail and around 8 hangers which gave us limited options for hanging our clothes. Edinburgh is a beautiful city and we will visit again, but we wouldn't stay at the Old Waverley again.

Room Tip: Rooms on Princes Street are noisy at night, but the rooms around the back look at pipes and walls an...