“Cosy hotel with an excellent location!”

The Old Waverley Hotel
Ranked #104 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Skudeneshavn, Norway
“Cosy hotel with an excellent location!”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel has a prime location - everything is within walking distance - and the staff is always very welcoming and helpful.

Although the hotel could do with a little updating, it is still my number one choice for hotels while in Edinburgh. It is not super-modern, but that’s just cosy and gives the hotel a soul if you ask me. The rooms are good-sized and clean, and during both of my stays I have been so fortunate as to get rooms with a castle view. Magical!

I - as a returning customer - would gladly recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Another great review and many thanks for the overwhelmingly positive comments regards to our service overall. Princes Street view is indeed amazing and our location couldn’t be better.
We are very proud and extremely happy that you have enjoyed your stay and will recommend us to the others.
Once again , many thanks for your excellent review and looking forward to see you very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Selden, New York
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel is in a great old building with a magnificent view of the Scott Memorial and the castle, a short two minute walk from the train station. The room had high, fancy Victorian-style ceilings, and tall windows with great draperies. The beds were good. The bathroom was nice too. It really was a great room. But . . . upon entrance from the street, instead of a welcome desk, we were faced with a long staircase. There was no elevator and no person in sight. We were traveling light, so the stairs were a surprise for us but not a problem. What really made me mad was when I asked for the WiFi password and they told me I'd have to pay for it. What kind of ghetto hotel doesn't even offer WiFi? This cheap nastiness was totally at odds with the otherwise elegant atmosphere of the place. I had prepaid the room through booking.com, and it was the most expensive hotel of the trip for us, and it was very annoying to find that the plan was to squeeze more money out of me after I'd already paid all I'd budgeted. This was also the only hotel of the trip to have no hair dryer in the room.

Room Tip: I don't know if all the rooms have a great view of the castle. I assume all the rooms are walk...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
We are grateful for this guest taking the time to share his experiences.. As one of Edinburgh’s oldest hotels we are unfortunately limited in further development of our entrance area, therefore making the flight of stairs to reception unavoidable. Do note that there is a bell at the entrance which will alert or porter who will be only too happy to come and get your luggage.
I am delighted to read that the guest in question found their room clean and comfortable and I should point out that each room is provided with the hair dryer placed in one of the drawers.
We do advertise that our Wi –Fi service is chargeable as many other hotels across UK.
Harstad, Norway
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Checked in September 16th....The staff was niceand took care of us. The hotel was old and the room was narrow with a too big bed. Towels for only one person...we where two. Had to remind them about that. So they where not prepared.Brakfast was Ok, but thats all. Price too high. Corridores very small and narrow, mant stairs to go . The lift was small and ...you know....This is NOTGG a three star Hotel. no...no..no ! The only advantage with the Hotel is the location...that is perfect. close as possible to everything...buses to airport and city tour buses. Very good.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Tullamore, Ireland
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed there with my husband for 4 nights,great location,everything is walking distance,well,depends where you want to go and how fit you are,lot of steep hills,Edinburgh castle is like 10 min stroll away. Staff is very polite(unlike other tourists that stayed here), hotel itself is pretty quiet, although my husband couldn't sleep after 6 o'clock in the morning due to buses,(but we live in sticks with no traffic,so wouldn't be used to traffic)i had no problems sleeping till as long as i wanted,apart from few times was woken up by very merry ppl ion street.Rooms are a bit dated, but has it's old time charm, very clean,have hair dryer, iron,kettle for your tea and coffee,flat screen tv,heated towel rack in bathroom.Basically have everything you need,view from room is fantastic.Would definitely go back.

Sandiacre, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Clean and comfortable stay at this hotel. Although wasn't to pleased that a member of staff did not make it clear enough that they was taking a deposit of £25 per night. I was told no money was to be taken whilst having a credit card swipe and to my discovery money was not available 5 days in my account which I had to find out from reviews on trip advisor where my money had gone! My boyfriend had a allergic reaction to their Washing powder used for the bed sheets. There was no window in our room, so couldn't even see what the weather was doing! The air con leaked which woke us up at night dripping! staff are fully aware of this but still put you in the room 407. Some members of staff we found very rude on reception. Other than that I had a great time in Edinburgh!

Room Tip: Avoid junior suites if you want a more deluxe stay although these rooms are quiet and comfortable
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Old Waverley staff were really polite and pleasant. We had fantastic views from the Princes Street facing room that we had - room 415 - although it was a little noisy when revellers from the local pubs etc. were making their way home at 3am in the morning singing football songs. Hotel is really close to all the shops, buses and trains. The bar drinks were a little expensive but the bar would stay open as long as was needed.
Breakfast was good, included cooked breakfast (although you had to order eggs separately), and cereals, yogurt and toast. We booked a Superbreak so our flight and hotel was included, but when I saw the room tariff on the wall in Reception I would never have paid the room charge that they have advertised. Decor is very dated, our room had a good bathroom, but didn't have a wardrobe as it just had a rail and around 8 hangers which gave us limited options for hanging our clothes. Edinburgh is a beautiful city and we will visit again, but we wouldn't stay at the Old Waverley again.

Room Tip: Rooms on Princes Street are noisy at night, but the rooms around the back look at pipes and walls an...
Southwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

my wife and myself both in our 60s stayed here fri,sat,sun 13th,14th,15th sept i took my wife to edinburgh zoo she wanted to see the giant pandas i did it as a birthday present for her,i wanted a central location in the middle of edinburgh so we could walk around the attractions and shops, this hotel appeared to fit the bill.On walking upto the entrance of the hotel which has a small front squeezed between a row of shops right opposite the walter scott monument did notice only one flag flying outside there should be two, there is a 21 step climb upto the reception no lift and no help lugging cases, the reception staff were friendly and helpful, our room was 507 which is an internal room which has a window in the room opening onto a shaft full of drainpipes and it was dark,we was only there for 2 nights so it was ok but what was not ok was the price it is about a £90 a night not £140 room bear in mind we are well travelled and we do compare, the room itself was small but to be fair well fitted to a good standard what is missing is no shaving mirror, no bog brush,the bed was very comfortable, the telly had freeveiw with 70 odd channels,the room remote for the heating worked very well, there are slow closers on the doors which is great preventing doors slaming in the early hours, the breakfast should have been a buffet which it advertisers eggs fried yet both mornings there was no eggs had to ask for them didn't see boiled eggs either, having said that the buffet was comprehensive and very good,overall the place especially the corridors on floor 5 could do with lick of paint same for the main staircase,also the dining area felt hollow it has a wood floor which is noisey just didn't feel homely, the staff in the dining area were very good we eat there friday night and 2 mornings and they was very attentative and couldn't do enough when asked well done there, the overall opinion is that if the hotel does not get money spent onit, it will just about remain a 3 star hotel but because of its fantastic location could easily become a 4 star hotel would we go back umm not those rooms at that price sorry