“The Old Waverley Hotel”

Ranked #103 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Leeds
“The Old Waverley Hotel”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

A characterful older type hotel on Princes Street in the heart of Edinburgh The hotel is located opposite the Scot Memorial with views over Waverley Gardens and of course Edinburgh Castle.
The hotel itself is pleasant and the rooms first class.
I stayed there for two nights and found it very pleasant. The staff are pleasant and helpful and the location cant be bettered. Anyone travelling by train the railway station is a five minute leisurely walk away. By car and there are excellent short and long stay car parks within a ten minute walking distance.
My room was very pleasant and tasteful and overlooked the Scot Memorial, see pictures below
Overall excellent, good value for money and a thoroughly pleasant stay. The game pie from room service at £4 is highly recommended. Breakfasts are ok but a bit expensive at 11.50 a throw, I went around the corner and had a equally pleasant breakfast at £5. However if its raining or unpleasant weather eat in the hotel. Summer time eat anywhere you want. Keyhloes steak house on Rutland Street about fifteen minute walk away is brilliant
Edinburgh castle looks very nice at night illuminated
I hope to see Edinburgh again in the summer and it is highly likely I will stay at The Old Waverley
Right criticisms which are minor, yes the doors are a little heavy in the entrance and the lift is the smallest I have ever been in but overall these do not detract from the appeal of this hotel and as for the people who cant carry their luggage up the stairs due to idleness there is a bell use it !!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on Princes Street side for the view. They do charge extra however I booked three...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
An excellent review and very well said! I particualrly appreciate this guest's forthright approach to our entrance which echoes my sentiments of recent reviews, although in a much more matter of fact manner. Much appreciated.
Leon Kiteley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel was ideally situated near the train station and was very close to both old and new parts of the city. Old fashioned decor, but old fashioned customer service too, which was friendly and helpful. Nice breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Gainsborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Old Waverley Hotel. We booked one of their deals which gave us breakfast, 3 course evening meal and a room for £82 per night for 2 people. The location was excellent, just across the road from the station and in the main Princes Street area. Although our room only had a frosted glass window, at the back of the hotel we did not find it a problem. The room was very clean and comfortable with an absolutely huge bed. The bathroom had a bath with a shower over and again this was very clean. Infact the cleaning staff were really good and the girls always had a friendly hello in the morning. All of the hotel staff were friendly and helpful and all spoke really good English. The food was good and there was always plenty at breakfast. The food was hot and the kitchen just kept it on coming! We were very surprised that not more people had taken up the internet offer as it represented really good value for money and thats all we could have asked for.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
My thanks to this guest for a detailed and hugely positive review of the Old Waverley, and I am especially gratified to read the hotel described as "really good value for money". Hope to welcome these travelers again soon.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Good pricing, nice rooms with very comfy beds. I found the staff very helpful when I wanted to buy paracetamol at 11:00pm! By far the best bit is the location. It is possible to see the entrance to Edinburgh Waverly and the tourist info office from the entrance to the hotel and the number of buses available outside your door makes it easy to get anywhere. Despite all the buses, my room was completely quiet (though I didn't have a Princes Street view).

Oh the down side, it's a bit weird having to go up a set of stairs before getting to the lobby and then to get to the other floors the one lift is infuriatingly slow. Also, some of the carpets and mats could do with changing, thought the ones in the rooms are fine.

• Stayed February 2013
A great review overall and I was sorry to read that there were any negatives, although I am pleased to hear that they are well overshadowed by all the positive aspects of the Old Waverley. There is little we can do about our entrance, unfortunately, restricted as we are by our architecture,however I am pleased to announce we are currently in the process of deciding on an alternative to our current older floor coverings and expect work to begin soon.
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I just returned from a three night stay at the Old Waverley. The location was perfect for me as I was in town mostly to see the sights and attend an event. The lobby is up a flight of stairs but I knew that before I booked and there is a discreet button that one can push and someone will come help with luggage. I had breakfast one morning which was fine - not great but not bad. The other mornings I went to the Sainsbury's a half block away and brought something back to the room. The staff was gracious and helpful. Although I was traveling alone, I booked a double room with a view of Princes Street. It was worth every penny - the view was terrific - the room was comfortable and the bath was just fine with a lovely strong shower. I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with a view - it costs extra but is worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.
There is no getting away from the fact that the Old Waverley is the best situated hotel in Edinburgh, but I am glad to read that this guest has taken the time to list many of our other virtues - many thanks!
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Old Waverley Hotel. Excellent location on Princes Street, a couple of minutes walk from the train station. Booked a room at the back of the hotel, which was fine, we don't go to a hotel to sit looking out of the window, like to be out and about. Was only slightly more expensive than Premier Inn/Travelodge, well worth the extra money. Hotel is full of character, warm and cosy. Room was only small but had everything you could possibly need. Bathroom well stocked, shower really powerful. Breakfast lovely, plenty of choice, great views from window of castle and Princes Street. No complaints, will definitely return to this hotel when next in Edinburgh, would recommend highly.

1 Thank Partygirl99
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We had a lovely 2 night stay at the Old Waverley in gorgeous Edinburgh. A perfect location.Even though the hotel was a little shabby in places we enjoyed our stay immensely. Our room, overlooking Princes Street, was warm and cosy and very comfortable with lots of charm. Well worth the extra charge to see the wonderful old buildings and monuments over Princes Street from our room. The food in Cranstons restaurant was very good. We enjoyed our stay very much and hope to be back again when we get the chance.