“On Princes Street!!”

Ranked #104 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Greenock, United Kingdom
“On Princes Street!!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Booked on day we went and delighted with situation. However we had an internal room with a false window and no views. I would suggest checking to make sure this was not the case when booking. However the room was fine and the bathroom beautiful. Cannot comment on breakfast as it was a room only deal and breakfast was £11.95 each. BHS stores and Wetherspoons nearby give better value. Staff friendly and helpful and no problem leaving bags for collection later. Very convenient for buses and trains and touristy things!

Room Tip: Ask where room looks onto.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
A short but sweet review and my thanks to this guest for taking time to record their positive experiences at the Old Waverley.
Leon Kiteley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel has a great placement of Prince's street, so you get all the ease of being central, but none of the noise of a boisterous nightlife. Stayed here and got a 'junior double room'. We found our room spacious enough as we were only looking for a base, and our view wasn't bad either. What I liked about this hotel gave a private feel and I thought it good value.

Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in a double room, we were attending a funeral as well as seeing some of the sights of Edinburgh as my parther had not been before. The room was smaller than expected due to seeing photos on hotel website but nevertheless adequate and comfortable and clean, we did pay extra for the view overlooking Princess Street. The only problem I had in the room was the bed as 2 single beds were pushed together and there seemed to be a dip in the bed which was uncomfortable but I didn't mention this to hotel staff and sure this could be easily rectified. There was plenty of hot water in the bathroom and had the best bath ever for a long time, a lovely deep bath. I wasn't keen on breakfast the first day although my partner enjoyed his. I am not keen on buffet breakfasts I did try a sausage which I thought was of poor quality as also the bread for the toast which you had to make yourself and for £11.95 each for breakfast it seemed a bit steep. The tea for one was served in a very small teapot and even with one teabag in was very strong a separate pot of boiling water was needed. On the second morning I had breakfast in my room as only had a croissant and toast and my partner went down for the buffet breakfast unfortunately no cup and saucer arrived for my tea and milk was served in a teapot. My partner enjoyed his breakfast again but he did say no milk came with his coffee. I will say that the buffet breakfast was replenished frequently from observation. We had lunch at the hotel on the second day as we were attending a funeral and booked a taxi via the hotel no problem. The lunch was reasonably priced at £6.95 although I did not find the food enjoyable, I would definately stay at the hotel again but would find other eating arrangements. The staff were friendly and helpful even when very busy and with some new staff. The location is excellent for the train station, Shops and exploring the centre of Edinburgh.

1 Thank Amanda J
Antrim, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here in a triple room for one night b&b when going to see dirty dancing in the playhouse. The room was small but it had all you needed. Three proper single beds a bonus - no sofa bed. Our view wasn't bad either. We could look out on to princes street and even see the castle. Breakfast was all you needed although I did find some out of date yogurts at the bottom of the bowl. Staff really friendly and helpful. You had no problem leaving your bags before and after checking in and out. Perfect location. Just across the road from Waverley station. Would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Florence, Italy
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We spent few days in there. Cozy, warm and clean room with a wonderful view toward the castle (reccommended). In a minute you are in the main street of the city and very close to the bus station for the shuttle service to the airport. The breakfast was very complete and full of fresh food and really well cooked. Right price, I'llbe there again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Old Waverley hotel is our favorite hotel! This was our third stay in the hotel. We have stayed in many hotels all over the world, and this is were we get most value for money. It is in the middle of high street, quiet, nice and clean rooms, welcoming staff and we will stay there again. We wouldn't concider staying anywere else next time we go to Edinburgh!

• Stayed January 2013
Newmarket
Reviewed January 16, 2013

good location on princess street across from railway station. on a rugby week end recently.lobby and reception area small .staff were friendly and checked us in early.room was good with a nice view.10 min walk to old town. hotel located on main shopping street.overall a good hotel well located

Room Tip: ask for room with a view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank denisNewmarket
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
A lovely few words on the Old Waverley and we are all extremely grateful for the sentiment. Our location IS superb, no arguments there, but, much as this guest has intimated, I think one of our biggest selling points is the friendliness of our staff.
Leon Kiteley