“nice stay, lovely rooms”

The Old Waverley Hotel
Ranked #104 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bolton, United Kingdom
“nice stay, lovely rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights mid week. We booked it because it was a good price and close to the station. The entrance consists of 2 sets of large heavy doors and can be a problem with suitcases. I witnessed several people struggling with them. Yes they do have character but maybe the hotel should consider replacing them with automatic ones. Reception staff were'nt the friendliest and there was a constant horrible sickly fragrance through the lobby and stairs. Our room was on the forth floor and away from the main road so although we did'nt get the view it suited us fine because we did'nt get all the noise from the street (road works for the tram lines). The room was'nt one of the largest but more than adequate. It had lovely large ceilings nice decor very clean and a very large comfy bed and pillows. Bathroom clean and a good shower. We had breakfast both mornings. The staff at breakfast were polite and helpful. The seating area was lovely with nice big windows and decor. The food is self serve, was hot with a good choice (even had haggis). Overall, a good hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Overall a most encouraging review and my thanks to this guest for their excellent feedback on our rooms, staff and breakfast. I am sorry that they were inconvenienced by our doors but we do not have the space available to install automatic doors as we have just the narrow entrance available. However, on a more positive note, I can confirm that the overpowering smell which appears every now and again in our public areas is from the Lush shop below which will be closing very shortly!
Leon Kiteley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

We Booked into this hotel on Tuesday night for three nights, and boy I wish we had not! We have stayed many times in Edinburgh and have always been happy with the hotels we have stayed in but our bubble has burst!!!! We booked a room with breakfast ,as a treat we decided to have break fast in our room big mistake it was stone cold. We complained about this at reception. We were also aware there where road works out side our room that bothered us a bit that night.
Wednesday night the road works got louder and went on until just after 12am and started again at 6am on top of this we had another cold breakfast delivered to our room. Once again I complained and was told that the road works were not in their control and they where told that the noise will stop at 12pm, also that they were sorry again about the breakfast. ON THURSDAY NIGHT THE ROAD WORKS WENT ON UNTIL 3.30AM STARTED AGAIN AT 6AM,I called reception at 1.30am and was told it was out of their control. I could go on but all I will say is that this hotel should not be letting out rooms, the idea is that you should have a good nights sleep at a hotel so my question is it this hotel fit for the purpose?

4 Thank Juls_9
An unfair and completely misleading review!
This guest is unhappy because of noise outside the hotel for which we were not informed and over which we had no control. Had we known, we would have infomred our guests and allowed them to make their own decisions as to whether to stay or not. It is ridiculous to aportion blame in our direction: had this guest been kept awake all night by a thunderstorm would they also question the hotel's "fitness for purpose".? On the second day I spoke with the site supervisor and was assured there would be no more disruption althought there was a short re-occurrence that night.
I can understand how frustrating noise can be but we are generally fairly quiet for a city centre hotel I can confirm that this was very much a one-off and there will be no roadworks in the immediate areas for hopefly some considerable time
Please note also that all room service breakfasts are served piping hot and dispatched from the kitchen immediately with no waiting time.

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just returned again from our 5th stay at this hotel with my two friends, We always book a triple room and as always get a room on the 6th floor with a view of Princess street and Edinburgh Castle. The rooms are very clean. Brilliant breakfast which they serve till 10am in the morning. Staff were helpful and not a problem when we asked for 3 wine glasses and ice bucket for our room as we had purchase our own bottle of wine. Hotel just a couple of minutes from the Train station, still plenty of roadworks going on ready for the trams not due to be finished till 2014. Good meal at the Saigon Chinese resturants round the corner form the hotel, also had a good meal at the Bella Italian resturants. Hotel is in a great position for everything.

Room Tip: We had a high flor with a brilliant view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Another great review for the Old Waverley and I was delighted to read this guest's lovely comments regarding breakfast at the hotel and how clean the rooms are. Kind words - much appreciated!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

We spent the weekend here In Edinburgh as a little city break away from Liverpool. We opted for the Old Waverley for its great price. We are a young couple aged early 20s and it suited us fine, the rooms are lovely and the queen bed is just so comfy I actually miss it! We had a stunning view on to princes street I think it was called. Old Waverley is great for the price but I don't think staff made too much of an effort with us with us being young but that didn't bother us we still had a lovely time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
A wonderful Old Waverley review and I am delighted to hear that our new beds are going down well - feedback so far has been excellent and this demonstrates the expenditure to have been well spent!
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Fantastic location and well decorated hotel. Handy for railway station,less convenient for arriving by car.
Breakfast was very good and made better by the restaurant decor and views.
Staff were professional, helpful and always had a smile.
Only downside was poor water pressure on top floor but bathroom was very clean and up to dare.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking Princes Street unless you want a quiet room at the back.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
A fanstastic review overall of the hotel and I cannot thank this guest enough for their kind words. I am particularly thrilled to read about our comfortable beds as we have just completed replacing them all and it is gratifying to learn that we have invested wisely.
Wuppertal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed in the hotel for three nights during the week to attend my graduation at university in October. I found a special deal online where we'd only pay 63 pounds for a twin bedroom for two people.
The room was on sixth floor but there is an elevator - no problem getting up there. If you're disabled, however, you'd have difficulties getting up to reception which is on first floor and there was no elevator in the entrance.
The room itself was in a clean and good condition with a nice and comfy design, a kettle with coffee, tea, milk, sugar and shortbread. Every guest had one big shower towel and one small towel (and I mean a decent shower towel that covers all essentials and not a tiny one that is just enough to wrap a toddler in). Room service comes daily and fills up what you've used of the coffee/tea/etc. You can get fresh towels if you want to (and you do get them without problems if you put your towels on the floor!).

A minus-point for us was the noise-level in the room. Facing half-way to Princes Street it was a bit noisy at night. We didn't remember that there are still tram-works going on and due to the single glazing of the windows we could hear quite a lot of it. Our room was also quite close to the elevator which meant we would hear people coming in, depending on their noise level.
Although I'm usually very sensitive to noise, I still got a good night's-sleep in our room as the beds were around the corner and not next to the door.

There is hot-water all the time but on 6th floor the water pressure is not ideal. You won't get a massaging shower up there but you'll still be able to get a decent shower. I managed to wash my (long) hair without difficulties and there was no moment without hot water although both of us showered.
The room itself and the bathroom are nicely warm and we didn't even have to use the electric radiator although it was less than 10°C outside and we both freeze very quickly.

The booking process was a bit confusing. The website didn't say anything of the hotel needing the first night's payment from your credit card 24 hours prior to arrival. I was only used to 10% which would be advised on the website and didn't have enough money on my credit card as I intended to pay cash. The hotel called me the night before our arrival but at 9pm there is nothing I can do about it as all banks are closed then. They told me my booking couldn't be secured in that case. When we arrived I room was still reserved for us but I had to pay for the whole stay plus a 75 pounds deposit as they couldn't get an authorization with my credit card for the whole stay (Same problem as the night before, due to travelling I didn't have time to go to the bank and pay in money.).
It took a bit of time to sort this out and the receptionist didn't get the problem first. I also had to quickly run to the next cash machine as I wasn't prepared to pay 75 quid deposit. But after that we didn't have any problems at all. I got a recipt for the deposit and got my deposit back at the end of the stay without difficulties. (The reception is also manned 24/7 so you can come and leave whenever you want to.) Check-out time is 11am which I think is very decent. You can leave your luggage in the luggage room if you're leaving town later. It's directly opposite the reception and locked.

If you want breakfast, you'd have to pay extra. But there are cafés not far and it's takes just about 10 minutes to walk to the royal mile or two minutes to Sainsbury's. We had our own breakfast in the room at the small coffee table.
Wifi is available, too, at a rate of, I think it was about two quid per day.

Overall, definitely a hotel I would stay again (and I'm quite picky when it comes to hotels and value for money). The staff is friendly if there isn't an endless queue waiting at reception, the rooms are nice, clean and tidy, it's a prime location and what do you want more?!

Room Tip: For us the cheap option was perfectly fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
A wonderful review for the Old Wavelrey and throughly comprehensive, so my thanks to this guest for taking so much time to inform the wider community about all the plus points to staying with us. Allow me to clarify the process for guaranteeing reservations, however, to avoid any confusion. We do not take payment 24 hrs in advance (unless you have booked via our Advanced Purchase Rate on our own website). We simply require a valid credit card that has the funds available for the first night's accommodation charge - this is checked by our bank and is called a "pre-auth". Funds are secured but no payment is taken until the transaction has been completed to our mutual satisfaction upon check-out. If the credit card used at the time of booking does not have suffcient funds available to cover the first night, then it cannot be used as a guarantee.
Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

The hotel was nice, clean and conveniently located. Our room overlooked Princes Street which was scenic but a little loud until around 10 PM each night. The biggest issue I had was that our tub drain which gurgled loudly as various times throughout the evening...

1 Thank David B
Overall a postive review but let me know which tub had a gurgling drain so that I can get it looked at!
Thanks