Ballantrae Albany Hotel
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
All reviewshoneymoon suitecontinental breakfastquiet streethuge bathroomhigh ceilingsyork placestaff at receptionlovely hotelprinces streetdouble roomstayed for one nightbars and restaurantscity centreenjoyable staylovely roomwithin easy walking distancetea and coffee
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We stayed on the top floor even though we requested first floor rooms. There was no lift so we had to drag luggage up 4 stories and then up another story to the attic. It was ridiculous and there was no bellman either. Our room was small and hot at 80 degrees - even though it was in the 50's in Edinburgh at the time. Furthermore, the floors were so tilted that everything I set on my dresser slid right onto the floor. The location was ok and the breakfast was ok as well. Nothing to write home about...keep looking!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2008

Just a quick note to say this is a great hotel. Hired the basic room at £90 per night with continental breakfast included. Hotel itself is an old town house situated on a quiet residential street. Room was very clean, spacious and had a fantastic shower. I spotted a few people complaining about the poor breakfast, ignore them just remember its a continental breakfast if you don't know what that is google it first before complaining. Otherwise great location short walk onto princes street and the bars on and around George street. Never used public transport once when we arrived it was that well situated to all the main attractions. Plus don't forget to try a deep fried mars bar on the way back to the hotel after a few jars :) Parking wise forget it, get the train. You need a permit to park on the street outside the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Loved this hotel, so much better than the normal plastic cloned commercial places at a similar rate. Loads of atmosphere, I was there on my own but would love to return for romantic weekend with my husband sometime. Excellent position - so close to the centre of the city. Staff were very helpful. But most of all l really liked the the whole opulent feel of the place.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 22, 2008

I stayed 4 nights here, 2 in a single room, 2 in a double room the latter with my partner. We found the hotel very good, especially considering the reduced rate we paid. It was quite plush with an effort made to decorate it in an unusual way. I liked it a lot. The only thing is, in a single room, the black damask curtains, dark bedspread, one black wall and black wardrobe, although smart, made it a little creepy and macabre. The staff were v.v. friendly and helpful, the breakfast was an extensive continental breakfast, bathroom small but who cares?, it was clean, new-looking, massive dinner-plate shower head. Fridge/minibar would have been nice seeing it's a 4*. Lounge very pleasant. Excellent location, short walk from Princes Street.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2008

Me and my husband stayed at this hotels sister hotel and had a very bad experiance my wedding and engagement ring was stolen yes stolen out of the room by the maid!!! When the owner was rang he was not bothered what so ever. We have yet to hear from him being home 1 week. My rings were found and returned and the maid was sacked but no refund will be given even though his staff stole my rings and my weekend away as i have small children and this was the first weekend away me and my husband have had since getting married. Please be careful if you stop at any of the BALLANTRAE HOTELS!!!!!!

Stayed: April 2008