“good location and hotel”

Ballantrae Albany Hotel
Ranked #123 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed May 21, 2013

decent spot for short stay, rooms not bad but have a lot more potential if decorated better. at the price its good and well located for Edinburgh with Princes street, the castle and shops etc just a short walk away. parking at the rear, found location of our room a bit noisey with corridor traffic but would stay there again

There are newer reviews for Ballantrae Albany Hotel

Reviewed April 25, 2013

6 ladies booked in late Friday, surprised that we got rooms with doublebeds as we had reserved two beds. The hotel did its best and we got two blankets for every room insted of one, and we were satisfied. Not quite clean, somewhat dusty all over, and the shower was not functioning very well. The rooms needed new carpets....., but all through it was acceptable. The breakfast was excellent and the staff were lovely and serviceminded.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here for one night over the busy Easter period. The location of the hotel is great as its located centrally and we found free parking right outside the hotel after 6.30 sat and all day Sunday (charges apply weekdays)

As we entered the hotel it there was a slight ashy, smoky, fishy damp smell. The reception was dark and unwelcoming however staff were lovely.

We were dealt with quickly and went to our room to find the route to the room again rather dark and spooky, the room decor was nice-ish but the chairs in the room looked dirty, the paint job was awful.

The linens were clean and we had total control over the heating in the room which was Greg. I loved the huge Georgian windows and the spacious bathroom was clean and adequately equipped.

Breakfast was fine, typical of what you would get in a very standard British hotel.

For the price this hotel was ok, I probably wouldn't book it again ESP if I was going alone as it was spooky. I also think it needs redecorating and brightening up to make it more welcoming.

For the cost of a central hotel th

1  Thank fefe15
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed here for two nights over the bank holiday in April, when we checked in just after 2pm our room was not ready (apparently fully booked the night before) so they moved us to a different room, the bathroom was so tiny you could hardly move in it with only a shower and no bath. Our room was without an iron or ironin board so i asked the gentleman at reception which he replied with 'well do u need it?' and said i was to ring reception when it was needed. Breakfast was awful, very little choice so after the first morning we didnt bother going again! The pictures online are very misleading and it is definitely not what we expected, and definitely not a 4 star hotel! We will most definitely stay somewhere else next time!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Looking back over the reviews, I don't remember why I choose this hotel. The room and bath were large and clean, but new carpets and better linens are sorely needed. The only friendly and helpful staff were the breakfast crew - very efficient and nice. That's about all I can say that is favorable. The weather was freezing outside and none of the three radiators in my room worked. Luckily I am fairly warm natured, but was surprised when the front desk staff didn't offer immediate assistance to change rooms, bring a blanket, or additional heaters. They merely said "they'd notify maintenance". I had one day to sleep in (on a Friday) and the cleaning crew plugged in the vacuum right outside my door and proceeded to attack the baseboards and creaky floors way too early in the morning, making a huge racket. I am convinced they saw all the "do no disturb" signs on the doors in the hallway and thought "well to heck with that". Instead of sleeping through breakfast, I got up and went to breakfast at 8:30, taking down the DnD sign. However, my room was never cleaned that day. Again, the front desk staff didn't seem to care, they merely asked if I had a DnD sign on my door. Well, yes until 8:30am, but that certainly shouldn't have precluded cleaning for the entire day. Like the radiators, it wasn't fixed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel..the receptionist set the tone for my entire stay. She appeared a little annoyed by my arrival and used such a monotone reply for everything...not a great first impression.
I must stress, I had a single room which was ok, nothing more or less, but certainly not four stars..also lacking any type of literature about the hotel,their services and the local area (which would of been appreciated).also no hair dryer in the room..I can only describe the place as average and because of the lack of apparent customer service, I didn't use any of the services available. (You lost out on my money...) also thanks for the housekeeper just walking in on my second morning there, whilst I was in bed..haven't you heard of knocking??.
Definitely wont recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had one night in the single room recently and I was very disappointed. The service was nice but the room which I get was so noisy during a night from the outside traffic and I could not sleep. The shower glass wall in bathroom was unstable and opened widely so whole water was dropped on the floor during a shower also the small towel was poor condition. The parking space and entrance was very tiny and I think it would be impossible to accommodate 12 cars there.
In summary, it is good hotel in overall opinion but not good enough for 4 stars.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo