“Misses on so many points”

Ballantrae Albany Hotel
Ranked #127 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I booked this in a rush and didnt look at trip advisor first. When I did I phoned the hotel with my concerns and was told I would be given the best twin room. If we had the best I have no idea what the worst would be like .I was travelling with my daughter who is 23 on our annual Christmas weekend away.
I am not an overcritical reviewer and try to see ths good points so.
Good Points:fresh flowers on the hall stand the staff we dealt with on reception were very friendly and helpful.Bed linen clean and fresh.we had a room on the second floor at the front and the trafficedid not bother us. Our bathroom was clean. we got a space on the carpark for the weekend, only five spaces so this was luck really. Excellent places to walk out to from the hotel for all meals including breakfast. Just turn right out of the door , a few paces and you are there.
Bad Points: No attention to detail at all. Our bedroom carpet was dirty but this could have been forgiven if the bedroom was clean. The bedside table was very dusty. the skirtings were dusty. There was a double valance on one of the single beds and no valance on the other. A big tear in the wallpaper. Just a bit more care and attention and it could have been so much better.
This is a 4* but it is an average 3* at best.
We did not have any breakfast or meal in the hotel so cannot say what that was like. decided considering everything that we did not want to eat there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of days at the end of October. Double executive room was lovely, spacious and immaculately clean.
The staff were very helpful and breakfast was very well served and very nice. We did have a room on the ground floor on the front street and the noise from traffic was a bit disturbing. Would stay again but would request a room to the rear of the property.

Room Tip: Executive room was very spacious and bathroom was lovely.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Where to start... noise, dirt, price, poor service.... it's hard to imagine how Visit Scotland tourism can give this place a 4 Star rating. It suggests to me that the Scottish rating system is complete nonsense.
There is no parking for guests, there was no one to help us with getting our luggage from the double parked car into the hotel. The 'welcome' was little more than a grunt from a bored receptionist. The suite we had booked wasn't a suite it was a room , and not a very nice one at that. The decor in the public areas was dirty and worn out. There were stains on the bedding, the bathroom wasn't clean and the noise from the traffic passing by outside made it impossible to sleep. I could carry on listing more and more detail but I'd sooner try and forget about ever having stayed in this hotel.
To add insult to injury when we got home we found the hotel had charged our credit card for extra nights accommodation which we were not there for!. We complained to them about this and were repeatedly fobbed off so ended up having to chase down the credit card company who refunded us the unauthorized amount.
If there was a way to warn any unsuspecting victims more directly than is written in this review I would try but sadly there will be other victims that will undoubtedly suffer the misleading website the hotel has and the misleading rating system granted to this establishment by the Scottish tourist office.
My advice - read the detailed reviews here on Tripadvisor and weigh up just how many 'poor' and 'terrible' reviews there are for this place and them save yourself the anguish of risking it. Book somewhere else! I wish we had paid more attention to the warnings but we never imagined just how bad it could be.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I wanted to like this hotel as some of the staff were very friendly and tried very hard to be helpful but it was a really bad stay. No shower for 3 days as the hot water system was set to scalding and could not be adjusted downwards. The hotel's handyman had looked at it and said that he didn't know what scalding meant and it was fine. It was not - another day, more complaints and it was fixed. In the pouring rain of Scotland I needed a hot shower but not one that would result in 3rd degree burns. I got sick of having to complain again and again to staff as it isn't something I normally do and I'm not comfortable with.

The television would not turn off - you turned it off and it came back on which meant leaving it on or climbing on the desk to reach the power switch awkwardly located in a tangle of cables. That wasn't fixed for my 6 night stay. Reception said that I could get someone do this for me everytime but that really wasn't a satisfactory solution. The free wifi didn't work anywhere else but in reception and occassionally in one of the corridors, never in the room which was a second floor room. The standard of cleaning wasn't good with dirt, crumbs and dust underneath and around the bed which I discovered because the bed kept moving every time I moved.

The public areas were tired with stained carpet which is not a big deal for me but indicates that it is being neglected. The breakfast was variable - depending if you got someone who actually asked what you wanted, or just assumed and delivered you wholegrain toast. This hotel really suffers from a lack of consistency in staffing and facilities. If I'd had a room where things worked properly I would have been a happy little bunny, as it was I hated spending time in the room and couldn't wait to leave Edinburgh. All in all a great shame.

I won't be returning - I'd recommend the location and some of the staff but only if you feel like gambling on a good room and getting the nice staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Reading through these reviews tonight i wish we had searched trip advisor before our stay. We were a party of 15 staying two nights. Those with rooms at the front of the hotel hardly slept a wink due to the traffic noise outside. The rooms were dusty & dirty. Two of the rooms had patches to the ceilings due to water ingress which had been repaired but not redecorated. The bathrooms were mouldy and needed a good scrub. Our evening meal on the second night was dire . Meal took over 3 hours in total due to repeated unsuccessful attempts at getting hot, edible food. There is no duty manager within the hotel for complaints so we had to wait till the following morning. Our complaints then were met with rudeness and bad language. Great location, lovely staff on site, dreadful food & dirty rooms. We won`t be back.

Room Tip: If you must stay here ask for a room at the back & DONT book your evening meal here. Plenty of r...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here for a conference in October 2012 and I liked the historical-modern-cozy ambience the most.

The young personnel was always very kind and helpful.
The room was neat - right beneath the roof, got cleaned every day,
bed was quite comfy. Also liked the bathroom - must have gotten renovated
not long ago, water pressure in the shower was a little low and the TV-set was quite small, but I didn't care at all, but for those amongst you who might...

Breakfast was excellent: continental with pies and little cakes,
cornflakes and fruits - and full scottish breakfast as well with,
bacon, sausages, eggs, toast and black pudding...

Yes, if you are a purity fanatic you will find glitches here and there, but
for the normal traveler it's a good choice I guess.

Would like to come back.

Room Tip: Room 403, very small but nice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I quite enjoyed my stay in the executive double room but it was dampened by a few snags. The room was clean and spacious upon arrival and was swelteringly hot, but was easy to fix with an open window and turning down radiators. Although the heated towel rack was a nice touch, there should be a warning as it is so close to the shower as my partner burnt himself stepping out of the shower, or perhaps not put it on such a high heat. I also found that there was a lack of temperature control of the shower water which was scalding.

As we were having a romantic night out, my partner wanted to iron his shirt for the evening only to find the iron did not work with the ironing board almost falling out each time the cupboard was opened.

Other than that, the bed was very comfortable and had a good nights sleep followed by a lovely breakfast. The location is very good as it is so close to the station. The staff were friendly and very efficient. The hangers and storage space provided was very good. All in all a good night.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple