“found room unacceptable”

The Royal Scots Club
Ranked #18 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Group of 7 couples stayed at the Royal Scots in June of 2012. Some of our group got very nice accommodations, but a few us had rooms in the basement. Our room was a long narrow room, with a bathroom that was so small you could barely shut the door if you were in it. It had one window looking out at a below ground dirty area. The couple beside us said their windows were near garbage cans, very noisy when they were trying to sleep. The gal at the front desk was unfriendly and didn't care if we were unhappy with our room. I would rate the hotel as unfriendly. It definitely put a damper on my trip to Scotland.

Room Tip: Ask lots of questions about your room.
Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelorfromCB
There are newer reviews for The Royal Scots Club

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Great location for getting around Edinburgh as everything in walking distance. Value for money.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2012

The club lists itself as a luxury hotel but they are far from it. The hotel itself is very dated. Any request was complied with very quickly with the exception of the mould on the bathroom ceiling. It was still there 2 days after telling them. They had ordered a taxi for our early morning departure which never showed and they could not find who they booked with and ordered another cab. Jackets are required in the dining room for lunch or diinner. No jeans at all in the restaurant even for breakfast. Breakfast was nice but after a couple of days it became boring. Great location on the edge of the new town approaching the old town. We had room 1 which was two twin beds pushed together and you could not lie in the middle as it was very hard and uncomfortable.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lambmelamed
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed here for three nights and loved it. We were traveling with another couple and we got the two rooms in the basement which we really liked. It was quiet and very comfortable. The rooms were spacious and clean. The breakfast was wonderful with a high quality selection and very nice service. The walk from the club to Princess Street is not long but it does include a section with a good incline but if you are walking in Edinburgh you just expect that. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful to us. They even helped us find out information regarding the store hours for a specialty shop we were looking for.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I have read other reviews on the hotel and genuinely can't believe they mean the same place. I can honestly say I have no complaints whatsoever. I thought the room was very nice, the hotel was quirky and interesting to wander around and most of all, and probably the biggest positive I can say are that the staff are amazing and lovely people. Me and my Dad were greeted by two of the funniest, nicest members of reception staff who we actually rather enjoyed talking to and joking with over going to our room and settling in. They offered us upgrades without us even asking and were a pleasure to talk to!

I have seen complaints about the basement rooms and there being multiple doors etc. There are doors leading to doors leading to rooms etc but I didn't see this as a negative at all, I found it rather interesting and quirky, as aforementioned. I like something a bit different and interesting and this hotel definitely provided that! There are signs that make it navigable, so you're not aimlessly running through doors like it may seem from other reviews.

No complaints, a brilliant hotel in my books. I'd certainly recommend. Five stars!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We just returned from a stay at The Royal Scots Club and could not have been more pleased with our decision. This was the third hotel of our trip and it surpassed the larger hotel chains by far! We did get a room in the basement, and contrary to other reviewers found it to be private and comfortable. The staff were great - pleasant and friendly and full of helpful suggestions. It is just the right distance from the Royal Mile - within walking distance or purchase an all day pass. Down the street a bit is an incredible coffee roaster with the best coffee which I highly recommend. It is a classy establishment with nice amenities (ie: in room tea or coffee, small refrigerator, and hot breakfast). Would I recommend this - 1000 times Yes!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KarenI158
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We stayed for a short break in April and will definitely stay here again the next time we visit Edinburgh. The staff were really friendly and helpful, the room clean and comfortable and the traditional club atmophere was one of genteel quality and relaxation.It is within easy walking distance of Edinburgh's many attractions yet lets you believe you are getting away from it all.
Refurbishment was just starting when we were there so hopefully it will receive some TLC and remain in character. There was a well stocked tea tray and a lovely corner bath both much appreciated after a day's walking around the sites! The only problem I did have was getting my bearings with the two staircases - but that's just me I think!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family