“Excellent.”

The Royal Scots Club
Ranked #16 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I have read other reviews on the hotel and genuinely can't believe they mean the same place. I can honestly say I have no complaints whatsoever. I thought the room was very nice, the hotel was quirky and interesting to wander around and most of all, and probably the biggest positive I can say are that the staff are amazing and lovely people. Me and my Dad were greeted by two of the funniest, nicest members of reception staff who we actually rather enjoyed talking to and joking with over going to our room and settling in. They offered us upgrades without us even asking and were a pleasure to talk to!

I have seen complaints about the basement rooms and there being multiple doors etc. There are doors leading to doors leading to rooms etc but I didn't see this as a negative at all, I found it rather interesting and quirky, as aforementioned. I like something a bit different and interesting and this hotel definitely provided that! There are signs that make it navigable, so you're not aimlessly running through doors like it may seem from other reviews.

No complaints, a brilliant hotel in my books. I'd certainly recommend. Five stars!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 24, 2012

We just returned from a stay at The Royal Scots Club and could not have been more pleased with our decision. This was the third hotel of our trip and it surpassed the larger hotel chains by far! We did get a room in the basement, and contrary to other reviewers found it to be private and comfortable. The staff were great - pleasant and friendly and full of helpful suggestions. It is just the right distance from the Royal Mile - within walking distance or purchase an all day pass. Down the street a bit is an incredible coffee roaster with the best coffee which I highly recommend. It is a classy establishment with nice amenities (ie: in room tea or coffee, small refrigerator, and hot breakfast). Would I recommend this - 1000 times Yes!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KarenI158
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We stayed for a short break in April and will definitely stay here again the next time we visit Edinburgh. The staff were really friendly and helpful, the room clean and comfortable and the traditional club atmophere was one of genteel quality and relaxation.It is within easy walking distance of Edinburgh's many attractions yet lets you believe you are getting away from it all.
Refurbishment was just starting when we were there so hopefully it will receive some TLC and remain in character. There was a well stocked tea tray and a lovely corner bath both much appreciated after a day's walking around the sites! The only problem I did have was getting my bearings with the two staircases - but that's just me I think!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This Club is certainly an interesting place that upholds some traditions like a dress code for dinners and porridge and a cooked breakfast in the morning. It is well located and is not far from Princes Street in the "new" town - i.e. Georgian lower part of Edinburgh -. Everything is within walking distance, if you like to walk.
However the basement room - n ° 25 you reach after countless doors in a warren of corridors -, the only available room left when I booked won't do if you are claustrophobic, especially as, strangely enough, the fitted carpet is black....The shower room is new and nice. The room is clean, basic, even if you can make tea, coffee or chocolate and there are Scottish biscuits. No fridge, though. As for Wi-Fi, forget it. The signal you get, when you get is is extremely weak and surfing in Internet is an ordeal as it is so slow. When it does not cut off entirely.
A matter I broached with the staff at the reception desk. Rather in vain. Moreover I was answered in a very curt way, rude even, by a surly person, the head girl, it seems, who seems to think being abrupt means you are being efficient. Rudeness not being part of tradition, especially in a place that boasts it is traditional, I do not think she should be in touch with the public. I mentioned it to the manager on my last day. He said he was sorry but I do not feel it did make up for it entirely.
In contrast, the staff in the dining-room was most helpful and pleasant.
Also, when you are offered a newspaper in the morning, just know it is NOT complementary as you could expect as no one will tell you.
As I did not want to spend time in my room all in all the unpleasantness did not manage to spoil my stay. Yet, I do not think I would like to renew the experience.

Room Tip: Do NOT take a basement room. To reach room 25 you have to open a door labelled "toilet", e...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank HKLParis
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Looking at some of the reviews here, I wonder if those people were staying at the same hotel...?!
I thought it was fantastic. Really good value, the breakfast was outstanding, loads of choice. Teh only criticism is that we would have liked to choose where we sat & not be told we had to sit in the middle of the room - but again, this was a minor irritant.
The room was lovely, comfortable bed, daily stocked tea, coffee, hot choc, shortbread & water.
A short walk from the main City Centre streets & loads of good restaurants in Hanover St.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2012

This was my second visit (April 2012), my first being in 2005. The staff was very nice but I thought they were "understaffed'. I had to wait to have drinks several times both in the afternoon and after dinner.
Rooms were very clean but had some differed maintenence. In general, the Hotel could use some capital improvements.
Central location and a a great value. I would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: The "Four"Posterbed rooms are great
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We spent our easter weekend at this wonderful place and I can only recommend it..
Fantastic lounge and library. Perfect to relax with a book and a drink. Very friendly staff. Located in a quiet but still central part of Edinburgh with some really nice restaurants just in walking distance. When planning another visit to Edinburgh we will definitely try to book again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple