“fantastic experience”

Ranked #26 of 417 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Enter one of Scotland's most curious heritage sites. An archeological mystery that has baffled investigators for over 300 years. Gilmerton Cove is a series of chambers and passageways lying hidden beneath the streets on the South side of Edinburgh. Join us on a guided tour and help us unravel the mysteries of this strange mysterious labyrinth. Please note this attraction is by appointment only, please call to book a slot.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Came across the Gilmerton Cove's whilst searching trip advisor for "things to do in Edinburgh" and what a find. Gilmerton Cove is a series of chambers carved into the sandstone rock. It is a very intriguing place as it is not known what the cove was really used for. Its around a 30 minute bus ride from the city centre (bus nr 3 or 29) but this is one experience which is worth the time and a must do if in Edinburgh. The tour lasts around 45 minutes and you will need to book in advance.

3  Thank Susan47Anglesey

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I used to live in Gilmerton and never knew this place was there, always thought it was a closed pub! I only discovered it thanks to Tripadvisor and visited the Cove with my husband today.

While we were waiting for the tour to start, a local man actually walked in saying that in 10 years he had lived there he had never seen that door open - this is how well disguised this place is. Our guide told us lated that because it is a listed buiding, there isn't much they can do with the outside signage.

The tour was absolutely amazing. I loved the mistery surrounding the history of this place. When was it made? Who made it and most importantly - why? Our guide (Katie) was great, very knowledgeable and happy to answer any questions. We were in a tiny group (4 people including us) and it was perfect, as the cove is quite tight. At the end of the tour we were left for a few minutes to explore on our own and take as many pictures as we liked.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip, worth every penny. 100% recommended!

Do make sure you book in advance though, The fee is 7.50 per adult, and they accept credit cards. Be prepared to walk down steep stairs and wear a hard hat.

3  Thank FieldPoppy
Reviewed August 21, 2013

What a bizarre thing to find under the streets of an Edinburgh suburb! Looking for something new in the area, as regular visitors, this caught my eye and I'm very glad it did, simply as it is so very different from many other things you can do! My husband is from the area but none of his family had heard of it... be careful when arriving as it is not signposted at all and there is just a (closed) door with a small sign next to it, you might miss it!
The Cove is a series of human made caves, which Rebecca our guide took us round and shared many stories and theories about. She was very knowledgeable and great to listen to! The whole experience takes about an hour but you are not rushed and have plenty of time for photos and thorough exploration of each part. Well recommended as it is so fascinating and leads you wondering what the truth behind it all is...

3  Thank Merrowmum
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We visited this place a few years back in 2011 when the taxi driver said "in the 30 years I've been driving I've never heard of this place". I think we were one of the first visitors. It's steeped in history and the tales are so interesting. Well worth a visit.

3  Thank KorenOC
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I saw this many years ago, I guess on History Channel back in Canada. My family lives in Edinburgh, Dalkeith, and surrounding area and not a single one of them had a clue this existed. This year I saw it on the bus ride while visiting family, and made a stop in. Didn't regret it one bit, and can't wait until enough funds are raised to carry on the excavations and exploration in there. This is a site that will only get better with the more people that go, the more donations, etc. My compliments to Edinburgh and the guides/curators.

For accessibility purposes, note that the site does require stairs (though not many). And the organizers do need to be more attentive to email since that's often a primary mode of non-UK citizens for communicating (using our cell phones to call and book appointments can be very expensive).

3  Thank adtrace