“Excellent Hospitality”

Ranked #44 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hospitality”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed for a few nights in the master bedroom overlooking Gilmore Place in Feb 2013.
We were greeted by Janet who looks after the retreat most of the time. Always smiling and hospitable in terms of conversation and providing us with anything we needed if necessary.

We are Muslim, but this was never a problem, we had breakfast together with other residents in the hotel and shared our experiences openly. The team were always smiling and we got to know the staff like a family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ijfarook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I came to stay at Emmaus House for 2 weeks on my arrival in Edinburgh to live. Being apart from my family, I really appreciated the communal dining experience, both at breakfast and dinner, which was always a relaxed affair with great home cooked food. Janet and Andrew made me feel more than welcome from the outset, and really are nice hosts. My room was clean, warm, quiet and very comfortable. I'd stay again without hesitation, and have already recommended it to family and friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bath
Reviewed January 22, 2013

As one of the non-religious majority, I had some reservations about making a booking here, but eventually managed to talk myself into it because the combination of location and price is hard to beat. I didn't feel I could comfortably include myself in the evening meal sessions, however, so I didn't. The room I had was comfortable, and the house as a whole was a very pleasant place to stay. Janet and Andrew are good hosts, allowing guests access to the dining kitchen to make cups of tea and coffee when desired. Free wi-fi internet access is a big plus too. Would happily stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Steve M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Emmaus House is a place to return to time and again. Janet and Andrew are hosts for whom nothing is too much trouble. Their warmth and sensitivity, coupled with good food shared with guests from all over the world in welcoming and comfortable surroundings draws us back to Edinburgh even when we have no reason to be there! Our recent stay over New Year was perfect for enjoying the pleasures of Hogmanay in the city with the ready-made community staying with Andrew and Janet. Emmaus House provides a strong sense of community which guests can plug into, or not, as they choose. I enjoyed a deep sense of tranquility each morning before breakfast walking the labyrinth in the garden with a mug of steaming tea in my hands. In the midst of my busy working life the thought of a return to Emmaus House within a few months is enough to lift my spirits and keep a smile on my face.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Southport, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed in Emmaus House for three nights and I would be pleasure to come back one day. I arrived late at night and actually just wanted to go to bed, but Janet made such an effort to welcome me, that we ended up with a cup of tea in the kitchen. Of course it's not home, but it's like staying with friends for a while. I really don't wanted to leave!
I stayed in Room Nr. 5, which is a good sized and cosy ensuite-room to the back. It was not only clean, but also had a good internet accesss.
Thee provided breakfast is huge and mainly sweet and I would recommend the dinner, which is delicious too.
Maybe I should mention it: I'm non-religious which wasn't a problem at all. I felt uncomfortable at no time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SarahWanda
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here for 9 days and it was a wonderful experience. People from different community and religion share their thoughts around the dining table. Janet and Andrew are very helpful hosts. A home away from home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The best part of this B&B is the service. They are completly focused in make you feel like in your own home. We stayed at this B&B in Christmas and we feel very comfortable. The common areas are very comfortable and they are really open to let you using them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple