“A great place to stay in”
Review of Elas Guest House

Elas Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Elas Guest House
Ranked #326 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 5, 2013

A very comfortable B&B guest house to stay in Edinburgh, and the price is quite reasonable. It is situated not far from the centre of the city, but the street and the place itself are quite calm and peaceful. The house has a very cozy look to it, the stairs and the dining room are very beautiful. The room (twin) was a bit small but comfortable, towels, hot water, soap... Breakfast is absolutely marvellous, not only bacon and sausages, but some pies, eggs, wide variety of bakery, juice, tea, cofee, milk, etc. The host is very understanding and welcoming, she gave us some piece of advice concerning souvenirs and main attractions of the city. If I ever go to Edinburgh again, I will certainly choose Elas again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Maria_AnnaRus

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Can't believe the neg. comments. The guest house is old but charming. The dinning room was beautiful with period artwork to match. Our room was comfortable, ensuite was small but met our needs. Our big dog was welcome at no extra charge. The bespoken breakfast was wonderful and atmosphere pleasant. We found the owners very helpful and friendly. They have no parking but have an arrangement with another guest house close by to accommodate at no extra charge. The guest house is within walking distance to most of Edinburgh's main attractions. The Guest house is old and a bit tired; however it is good value, clean and charming. Only neg. is poor internet strength.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brent R
Reviewed January 4, 2013

What a absolutely fantastic place to stay! Like the gentleman below, I was slightly sceptical upon arrival due to the comments I had read below from the 2 american girls. Can I just say... they do not have a clue what they were talking about and give a completely wrong impression of both the B&B and the home-owner. When arriving the owner could not have been any nicer to us (group of guys visiting over new years) and understanding that we were there to party and have a good time.

The rooms were basic but at the same time really nice and the beds were very comfortable, so by the time we did get home from a night out we found no problems in sleeping. The only piece of criticism about the place was the shower, and the fact that the water did not come out at a very fast rate, but this is just me being picky.

The breakfast was very tasty and was the perfect cure after a night out, however we did need to go downstairs to eat at the latest of 9am (painful lol) but this is understandable as the home-owner was very busy and needed to get on with other things.

Overall this was a fantastic place to stay and if I were to visit Edinburgh again then I will defiantly be staying here. These american people don't have a clue what they are talking about so please ignore what they have said!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michael12321
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My three friends and I decided to visit Edinburgh for New Years. After phoning around a number of hotels in the city we came across this one, which was cheap (we are all students and so price was a major factor in picking a place to stay) and close to the city centre.

So relieved were we to find a place to stay that we booked immediately without checking this site. Only later did we check for reviews, and after having seen the reviews listed below we expected the worst, especially since we were a group of four boys basically looking for somewhere to leave our stuff whilst we went clubbing and so could potentially rub a hotelier up the wrong way.

However, in complete contrast to what we were expecting, we arrived to a very warm welcome and all the information we could need to get around. The hotel owner was very understanding of our priorities and even allowed us three hours of extra sleep before we were due to leave on New Years Day, which was massively appreciated after a late night. She also allowed us to keep store our luggage in the hotel all day as our coach back to London wasn't until 10pm. Our experience was nothing like that described by other reviewers, and I'm sure that as a group of four men in our early twenties we were most likely to recieve stern treatment from the hotel owner. However this absolutely was not the case, and she was kind and understanding throughout our stay.

The room was warm and had an impressive view of the city and the castle. It was quite basic, but considering the accomodation was so cheap, this was to be expected. It was also clean and well presented.

The breakfast was traditional bed & breakfast food, with bacon, sausages, beans etc. and was served with fresh orange juice, freshly cooked eggs and tea or coffee depending on what we'd requested the night before. The hotel owner also did her best to work the breakfast times around when we were likely to wake up.

The hotel itself is about a ten minute walk from the city centre and is right next to a large Tesco which is helpful if you want to buy drinks or whatever else.

I have never before felt inclined to write a review for any hotel I've stayed in, but I felt that the experience put forward by other reviews of this establishment so misrepresented the place that I needed to speak up. Our experience was excellent from start to finish and at an amazing price too. We would certainly stay again if we were to return to the city.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Robin P
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This so called 'Bed and Breakfast' was actually a nightmare for my friends and I.
There are so many negatives, but I'm going to first mention the short list of positives.
Because Edinburgh isn't really large, the accommodation seemed to be reasonably located.
The cab ride only took about five minutes to get to The Royal Mile, which was nice.
Another positive was the cleanliness, I really liked the that the thousand stair steps were all well vacuumed and the beds were nicely made. These are probably my only positive remarks-- now for the negatives.

When someone walks into a hotel, hostel, or bed and breakfast, they expect to be greeted and feel welcomed to their temporary 'home', this was DEFINITELY not the case at Elas. Once we walked in, it felt like the owner had a fifty-second script that she wanted to yell at us and then get us going. Wasn't personable at all-- actually, she was extremely rude.

Secondly, the bedroom was made for two...MAYBE three people. There were five beds in this small space--- I felt like I was in a prison cell. The comforter was thin and the room was freezing-- even though the extra body heat should've warmed us up. The towels were stained and the water pressure in the shower was non-existent. There were also a total of two outlets in the whole room- proving difficult to not only get ready in the morning (for five girls), but to charge phones/computers/cameras at night.

The breakfast was mediocre, at best. Most of the food was bread-based....and we all know that that can get old. The meat was cold (even though I think it was intended to be hot) and the beverage options were few and far between. Needless to say, I didn't go to the complimentary breakfast on day two....was worth the extra money to buy it somewhere else.

Overall, I gave this a two out of five and would NOT recommend it to anyone-- unless you really don't care about anything other than a bed to sleep in. It's a pathetic excuse for a bed and breakfast, it was truly at a 'motel' status, if you ask me.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JennaFernandez
Reviewed November 4, 2012

First and foremost, this can't be called a "Bed and Breakfast". An actual B&B has a homeowner that invites you inside, is kind to you, and cooks you breakfast. It's supposed to be an intimate cultural experience that leaves both parties feeling richer as individuals. This is not that. Although it is in a house (sort of), and there is breakfast, please do not think of this as such. This will be concise so you can keep reading other reviews and hopefully find a place better than this:

Good:
Very cheap
Reasonable nights sleep
Hot water in the shower
Toilet / bathroom in the room
Decent appearance
Adequate cleanliness
Relatively close to downtown area

Bad:
Absolutely HORRENDOUS owner. Nothing can come out of this woman's mouth without her sounding irritated / furious / annoyed. Everything bad about the hostel stems around this woman.
- Unwilling to do more than necessary in any way to assist guests
- Short, irritated with customers
- Absolutely unhelpful - does not offer any sort of advice for cool things to do
- Smokes inside
- Three outlets in a room that slept five people. Also, the room was meant for 2-3 people MAX. Not to have five beds shoved into it - but hey, it is cheap, so this gets a bit of a pass.
- One tiny trashcan - not at all adequate for a room with five people

Tips:
If you order takeout (to be delivered), WRITE YOUR ROOM # online or tell the restaurant!! The owner screamed at us and got into an argument for fifteen minutes with me because I didn't do so. So be careful! Apparently, it's "just common sense," as she puts it.
Don't stay here, because it's wretched.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Having spent the weekend taking part in a mountain marathon in northern Scotland we were used to 'roughing' it so thought we'd pay for a night in a B&B in Edinburgh on our final evening before returning home. What a disappointment. I can say that there was not one thing which was right about the place. All communal areas smelt of tobacco and evidence of smoking within the property. Rooms (room 6) stank of stale tobacco, towels were tatty and like sandpaper, shower was adequate at best and overall was fitted out with cheap fittings. Breakfast was awful, I couldn't eat the cooked part, 1 of the marmalade pots was out of date to the tune of 2007!!! Cheap brown sauce disguised in an HP sauce bottle which also had a date well passed on it. Ketchup was from some form of happy shopper store. Overall not a pleasant experience, we had more luxury in our tent. This guesthouse may have been at the cheaper end of accommodation in Edinburgh but a certain level is expected whatever the cost and this fell far below that. Never will I return.

• Stayed: June 2011