“Disappointingly Average”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

My feedback is based on our third visit - which was similar to our first two visits to NK. We gave it the benefit of the doubt, trying 3 times because it gets so many good reviews but our experiences didn't really alter in any way.
The plus points? The staff are friendly and it has that typically Italian hustle bustle about it.
The down side? We find the food to be hit or a miss. Some of it is quite tasty, but some of it just doesn't hit the mark, eg dried out pasta, over-cooked chicken.
It's OK, but in our opinion there are better Italian restaurants than this one.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Had amazing giant prawns linguine and after very good branzino... Food fresh and service make as feel good...! Was lovely experience.

1  Thank giuseppe m
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I had a fantastic value pre theatre menu meal at Nonna's kitchen a couple of weeks ago (March 2013). We were quite lucky to get a table at this popular eating establishment in Morningside Edinburgh as we had not reserved one. It is well known for it's freshly prepared food, especially fish and although the early menu didn't extend to fish, there was a good choice at a very reasonable price. The service was excellent and we were well looked after by the very friendly owner.
Will certainly go back.

1  Thank RobbieJ0106
Reviewed March 26, 2013

As a lover of Italian cuisine, I was devastated when the Patio (the Storniuolo family's last venture) shut down. Nowhere else in Edinburgh could satisfy my hunger for a seafood pasta like the Patio and I was having withdrawal symptoms from a lack of contact with head waiter Jimmy. Then, opening the Scotsman one morning I was delighted to see that they were back with young Gino at the helm of their new restaurant Nonna's Kitchen. I managed to get a table somehow among the fellow Stornaiuolo fans and it was as good if not better than the Patio. I have been a regular visitor ever since and couldn't recommend it highly enough. My favourite restaurant.

3  Thank Ryan23Slaters
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had lunch here yesterday and the food was lovely, beautifully presented and most of all we were made felt as if they were glad we were there - an uncommon feeling nowadays.
Ok, perhaps lunch may not have been for the intimate meal as it was noisy and there was a party but even so, it was happy and jolly.
We will certainly return, perhaps the most enjoyable lunch for many months. Highly recommended - most definitely book as it seems the restaurant is constantly full. Lovely.

1  Thank Heather R