“Can see why Rebus drank here!”
Review of Oxford Bar

Oxford Bar
Ranked #37 of 219 Nightlife in Edinburgh
Reviewed December 8, 2014 via mobile

Have visited this pub many times over the last 3years with previous visits seeing me sit in the back room reading the latest Rebus books for hours undisturbed by the locals or staff. A blazing fire keeps the room nice and warm and the ales are all very well kept. Am looking forward to my next visit at the end of the month.

1  Thank CumbrianReviewer
"whiskey"
in 9 reviews
"characters"

Reviewed December 7, 2014

whilst walking through Edinburgh on a cold wet night we came across this little bar. once inside a welcoming open fire and great pint . a little small but loads of character.

Reviewed November 19, 2014

Visited because my wife knew of the Rebus connection, but for me it was the bar itself. I found the locals and staff all perfectly friendly- not gushing and fake, but civil (and the locals *did* move for me to get to the bar). 2 real ales, and a real fire on the back room. Lovely traditional bar.

Reviewed November 4, 2014

Saturday afternoon visit to this smallish bar that I have been to before. Not very busy but most tables taken in the overflow room. Great choice of beers - One from the town of my birth! Sat near the roaring open fire and could imagine a few more beers and maybe some food (not sure if they do food).
Would recommend a visit for at least a pint

See more reviews
Reviewed October 19, 2014

I suppose like hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Ian Rankin fans I had to make the pilgrimage to the Oxford Bar, to absorb the atmosphere in which John Rebus regularly sulks. The Oxford is dark and woody, warm and friendly. I can image its appeal on a long, dark and blustery winter's eve in Edinburgh. The pints and drams were honest and reasonably priced. I did not have occasion to try the fare. The barkeep, a very pleasant young man, was kind enough to take my picture outside, with the bar's sign in the background, a pose similar to those of Ian Rankin and Ken Stott whose photos are behind the bar. It will be a reminder of my visit to Edinburgh and of the well-etched characterization of John Rebus.

2  Thank DRA1947