I'd booked a DBB rate on Laterooms for Valentine's night for my bf & I back in December. Had a bit of a drama before even checking in!!!
I'd been left two voicemails regarding making a booking for the restaurant. The hotel was pretty hard to get in contact. I had called the number which I'd received the messages from, which turned out to be the Birmingham hotel. I asked the lady on the phone for the Edinburgh number, which she kindly gave me. I called up the hotel and a foreign sounding lady answered. I explained to her about the messages and asked to be transferred to reservations or whoever may be dealing with the dinner bookings. She transferred me to a guest's room! At 9am, the poor lady was in her bed and I had woken her. I apologised and hung up. A few days later I went on the website and on the contact us page sent a message basically explaining that I was struggling to get hold of anyone at the hotel and could they please contact me. I think I sent 3 messages, to no avail. I phoned up the hotel AGAIN and asked to be put through to the restaurant. The man was very polite and booked me in for 7pm. The week before checking in, I thought I'd query about upgrading my room. I emailed the hotel and very clearly stated my name to then be emailed back Good afternoon Lisa ( my name isn't Lisa!!!) to which I simply replied that wasn't my name and thankyou for emailing me back. No reply or apology. I work in a hotel myself and understand what it means to use someone's name correctly, it's basic manners! I understand when you are busy, names tend to slip your mind, but not when it's written in front of you. This carry on left me a bit anxious about my stay.
The hotel itself is lovely! Beautiful old building, right at the water. Nice old fashioned cobbled streets and surrounds. The girl on the desk was very polite and efficient, telling us all the info we needed and no more. We were running late so the quick check in was greatly appreciated. The room was lovely, a bit bigger than expected. Massive comfy bed with what appeared to be .. CLAW MARKS!! On the head board. Nice!!!
Dinner was okay, I feel everything was overpriced and there were too many staff members faffing about, didn't really create a very relaxed atmosphere - although that was probably myself feeling all harassed because we were running late! My main course was pan roasted chicken, which to my horror had a bright red vein in it. I asked the waiter if this was supposed to be like this and he checked with the chef. The chef cut the vein out and said it was fine to eat. But seeing the vein totally put me off my meal.
Overall I wasn't really impressed with the service prior to my stay, it's enough to lose business as I nearly cancelled my room. Definetly wouldn't stay again, which is a shame because it's such a lovely hotel and area.
My opinion obviously will differ from anyone else, but I just thought I'd share it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It's the mother of all Malmaison's. The former house of ill-repute now has a reputation that's second to none, and it's also just a short taxi ride away from Waverley Station. Malmaison Edinburgh bides at Leith (as they say up here), just a stone's throw from the Royal Yacht Britannia, but offering far more funky luxury. Yes, when you want exciting hotels in Edinburgh, this is the King, not the castle. Our Edinburgh hotel puts you close to all of Edinburgh's cobbled splendours, incredible shopping and famous galleries. Then it's back to Mal for Scots dining with a twist, a fine selection of single malts and mojitos in the bar and then back to the slinkiest and most spectacular rooms in the Scots capital. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Edinburgh Malmaison Hotel
- Malmaison Edinburgh
- Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh Scotland