“Customer Service isn't the best!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh

Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #92 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Scotland
“Customer Service isn't the best!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2009

I'd booked a DBB rate on Laterooms for Valentine's night for my bf & I back in December. Had a bit of a drama before even checking in!!!
I'd been left two voicemails regarding making a booking for the restaurant. The hotel was pretty hard to get in contact. I had called the number which I'd received the messages from, which turned out to be the Birmingham hotel. I asked the lady on the phone for the Edinburgh number, which she kindly gave me. I called up the hotel and a foreign sounding lady answered. I explained to her about the messages and asked to be transferred to reservations or whoever may be dealing with the dinner bookings. She transferred me to a guest's room! At 9am, the poor lady was in her bed and I had woken her. I apologised and hung up. A few days later I went on the website and on the contact us page sent a message basically explaining that I was struggling to get hold of anyone at the hotel and could they please contact me. I think I sent 3 messages, to no avail. I phoned up the hotel AGAIN and asked to be put through to the restaurant. The man was very polite and booked me in for 7pm. The week before checking in, I thought I'd query about upgrading my room. I emailed the hotel and very clearly stated my name to then be emailed back Good afternoon Lisa ( my name isn't Lisa!!!) to which I simply replied that wasn't my name and thankyou for emailing me back. No reply or apology. I work in a hotel myself and understand what it means to use someone's name correctly, it's basic manners! I understand when you are busy, names tend to slip your mind, but not when it's written in front of you. This carry on left me a bit anxious about my stay.

The hotel itself is lovely! Beautiful old building, right at the water. Nice old fashioned cobbled streets and surrounds. The girl on the desk was very polite and efficient, telling us all the info we needed and no more. We were running late so the quick check in was greatly appreciated. The room was lovely, a bit bigger than expected. Massive comfy bed with what appeared to be .. CLAW MARKS!! On the head board. Nice!!!

Dinner was okay, I feel everything was overpriced and there were too many staff members faffing about, didn't really create a very relaxed atmosphere - although that was probably myself feeling all harassed because we were running late! My main course was pan roasted chicken, which to my horror had a bright red vein in it. I asked the waiter if this was supposed to be like this and he checked with the chef. The chef cut the vein out and said it was fine to eat. But seeing the vein totally put me off my meal.

Overall I wasn't really impressed with the service prior to my stay, it's enough to lose business as I nearly cancelled my room. Definetly wouldn't stay again, which is a shame because it's such a lovely hotel and area.

My opinion obviously will differ from anyone else, but I just thought I'd share it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

This was a surprise 50th Birthday treat. The hotel was fine but very different when compared to Glasgow which we stayed in last year.
We were offered a choice of rooms on arrival which was nice and opted for the four poster bed !!! Lovely room but it certainly needed more lights when it got dark. Couldn't see a thing !!! Maybe that is to do with the age !!! We ate out at Fishers next door - fantastic meal - however when we returned to the hoel at 10.50pm the coffee machine in the bar had been switched off which was a bit disappointing. Overall quite pleased with the hotel. Not sure what it cost as I wasn't paying !!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

We've stayed in two other hotels in the Malmaison chain and have been very pleased but this one was very disappointing.

At check-in we were told the lift was out of order but no help was offered with our luggage up the stairs. The public areas are getting a bit tired and shabby.

Our room was uninspiring, with need of an update. There was insufficient usable hanging space in the wardrobe, the oldest telly I've seen for a while, no wi-fi and the bathroom was a bit tatty with brown water.

We had to get out of bed to make it properly on the first night. The next day we returned from Edinburgh to find our room still not cleaned at 4.45pm, just when we really wanted a lie down we had to sit in the bar for an hour. Though there are worse places to be!

The big Mal breakfast was lovely, but the restaurant staff tried to close breakfast 30 miutes early.

Leith has a good selection of drinking and eating establishments.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
manchester, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2009

I have stayed at the Malmaison in Edinburgh on several occasions last year for work and it is my first choice hotel in the city. Malmaison always tries to be a 'home from home' hotel but they dont always get it right and still have the corporate edge in many locations however Edinburgh has a relaxed friendly atmosphere that isnt arrogant like some of the hotels in the chain. As a sole traveller it is a hotel you can feel comfortable in, the rooms are luxurious and the location is peaceful with enough facilities. The only negative is dont stay here unless you drive the hotel is a bit of a walk from the city and even though Leith has cleaned itself up it still isnt the safest area to wander around on a night.

• Liked — friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — some of the views from the rooms are not great
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

My husband and I got a good DB&B deal so decided to spend a night through in Edinburgh for a change of scene.

When we arrived the weather was dreadful and we were cold and wet when we got to our room. Unfortunately the heating wasn't on in the room so it felt really unwelcoming. However, a quick call down to reception and someone quickly came up and showed us to a warmer and more welcoming room without any hassle.

Dinner in the hotel was great the Brasserie had a nice buzzing atmosphere. The bar was slightly quieter but had a good drinks selection.

The hotel is close to all the bars and restaurant in Leith and is also a 8 min walk from the Ocean Terminal shopping mall so it is a in a good location. It was nice a cosy in the winter but I would imagine it would be great in the summer too as there is a nice terrace outside.

We would stay again.

• Stayed January 2008
Cupar, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

My husband and i stayed for two nights in room 118 which was a corner room overlooking the canal, The room was lovely with a comfy four poster bed ,i pod docking station, flat screen tv , soft lighting and a small but adequte bathroom. Check in and out was quick and easy with no charges being made until you checked out. The bar area was lovely, quite dark with lots of candles which gave it a nice atmophere, We had a couple of cocktails which were reasonably priced.The hotel is an impressive building with lots of nice restaurants nearby . It also has good parking facilities at the rear of the building. My only complaint was the room was very warm during the night so we had to turn the radiator off completely , in fact the whole building good do with the heating turned down a few degrees, but we did have a lovely time and i would return.

• Liked — romantic atmosphere
  • Disliked — building was too warm
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Newcastle UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2009

One night stay on way to Loch Lomond.
Room 124 was good size , nicely furnished BUT was above the kitchens and very noisy as they played music constantly . Had to phone reception several times. staff did come up and tried to blame noise on a guest - rubbish- they must known room is above kitchen. I presume other rooms adjacent to 124 may also suffer so request room on high floor, I usually do but unfortunately forgot this time!
Leith has good restaurants. We always go to the Granary nice place to sit and have a drink or meal.
Easy access to central Edinburgh using 24/7 Lothian 22 bus. £2.50 for all day ticket but going up to £3. Bus stop about 100m down from hotel.
Would use this hotel again as got good deal £49 room only. This was their twixt Christmas and New Year deal.

• Liked — location and furnishings
  • Disliked — noise from kitchen
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple