“Lovely rooms and great location”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #94 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed here in August for a 3 night break in Edinburgh.The hotel is very conveniently located, near to the train station, city center and the tourist spots. The room was lovely, little small but neat and modern.The breakfast was good.The restaurant food wasn't all that impressive but overall we had a lovely time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,027)

Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Malmaison for a weekend break in Edinburgh as we found a good deal on the room rate. I have stayed at Malmaison hotels before & the room was slightly less modern than what I was expecting and also pretty small but comfortable enough for our stay as we didn't spend a lot of time in the room. The staff were friendly & helpful particularly at breakfast and the free parking was an added bonus. Leith is a nice part of the city with some lovely restaurants & pubs so I would recommend checking out the local area during your stay.
All in all we had a pleasant experience but I think if we coming back to Edinburgh we would probably stay in the centre of the city

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner for 1 night at the end of November, and our stay was very good and the room was lovely but there were a few things I felt were missing considering the price we had paid for the room.

The receptionist was not very warm or welcoming and barely explained what the £25 extra being added onto our bill was for! He just said it was for extras, no explanation.

We had a superior double room, which was lovely but I had expected a bath and there was only a shower. The room was far too dark, with just a few tiny windows and not enough lights to brighten it up. The malmaison bath robes were not soft and fluffy like expected, but more worn and rough feeling! The mini bar didn't have everything in it that was stated on the price sheet and the shower leaked also.

Overall, it was a lovely stay but I think there is room for improvement.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kk262811
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for a two day/one evening break and had a fantastic time.

We arrived earlier than our check-in time, and were allowed to use the parking facilities, leave our bags to be taken to our room and were able to complete the check-in process, so that when we returned from a trip into the city centre, we could collect our keys and head straight to our room.

As well as this, I mentioned upon booking that it was for our wedding anniversary - we were not disappointed! We were upgraded from a deluxe double to a suite, which was absolutely huge and very luxurious!

In the morning, we had our breakfast delivered to the room at no extra charge, giving you the benefit of a lie in, and breakfast in bed.

The staff at the hotel could not be more accommodating and helpful, were very friendly. We shall defintely be returning in the future, and I can't recommend the hotel enough.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kris D
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Just got back from malmaison Edinburgh had a fantastic time hotel was fantastic and staff very friendly. Stayed in a superior room was fantastic leith is a great part of Edinburgh right next to the docks with some amazing dis restaurants and pubs on your door step

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
2  Thank Pamela P
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

The Good Points: The hotel is very nice indeed, the public spaces are very well presented and the rooms are fantastic, comfortable and very smart. I've stayed here three times now and would happily stay again.

The Bad Points: We've always eaten out previously so have not tried the restaurant. It's not cheap and we expected a good meal. Unfortunately we had to send two of the three mains back. The waitress made a big thing about the kitchen cooking the meat properly (i.e. rare) on my colleague's steak and my lamb rump. However, despite asking for medium rare steak and rare lamb neither had any trace of pink at all. We then waited 40 minutes for new mains to arrive and were on the point of leaving when they finally turned up. My colleagues steak was rarer, if not actually medium rare, and my lamb was SO rare it was barely cooked.

My starter was lovely though, Thai pumpkin soup, delicious, and apart from the toast breakfast was also very good. Note to the kitchen - toast does not bend, if it bends it's not toast, it's hot bread.

There will definitely be a next time, but we'll eat out again...

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Philmet1
Reviewed November 28, 2013

My husband and I had occasion to stay one night at Malmaison in Leith recently. It is some years since we first stayed here but it seems to have retained its standards. We got a very nice room at the front of the hotel overlooking the water of Leith. It was very spacious, probably one of their larger rooms, and nicely decorated but I would have to agree with some of the other reviewers that the lighting is a little subdued. The bed was comfortable and there was a couch and chair for sitting. The only thing that let the room down was the bathroom. It was quite small with a shower (a very powerful one) over the bath. It looked as if could do with a bit of redecorating and there were some ants in the sink area. We ate in the brasserie in the evening as part of a larger party and have to say that we all found the food to be very good and the service was friendly and efficient. Breakfast in the brasserie was OK although I felt that the buffet was a little limited compared to some other hotels that we have stayed in.
If you are not too bothered about being in the centre then Leith is a really nice area to stay in with lots of nice restaurants and pubs for dining in the evening and only 5 - 10 mins walk from Ocean Terminal shopping centre. There is also a very regular bus service to and from the city centre with a stop only a few minutes from the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends