“Malmaison Edinburgh” 3 of 5 bubbles

Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #92 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Malmaison Edinburgh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Hotel Malmaison Edinburgh and added the romance package for Valentines Day.. I don't think we will be back! Rooms were ok, but sadly in need of some renovation. The bathrooms were the worst. The toilet would not flush properly, window was very stiff to open and close, you could not turn the temperature gauge down on the shower if you wanted a cooler shower and the lock didn't work on the bathroom door. When you are paying £255 for 1 night, these are some of the basics you expect.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Staff very helpful and friendly, my wife and I stayed on the northern lights deal. £20 voucher for bistro was made available for the bar where we had some nice food. Breakfast made the trip, cooked to order the eggs benedict were amazing.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie R
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I booked the Edinburgh malmaison hotel for me and my mum for a girly night away after I stayed in the Aberdeen malmaison a few weeks previous with my partner and thought it was amazing. I had heard from reception staff in Aberdeen that Edinburgh was meant to be the 'mother of all Mals' but unfortunately I wouldn't agree.

We had a superior twin room, which was lovely and big, two double bed which was great, a seating area, TV, dressing table, mini bar, toilet and shower over bath. Everything was clean and tidy which was brilliant. Unfortunately - the rooms don't seem to have much soundproofing! At 00:30 we were awoken by the room next door coming in, heard everything from the toilet flushing, water running in bathroom, the wardrobe doors shutting and then lastly the faint chat of the voices. I don't think the occupants of the room next door would have realised this... And we didn't feel the need to complain but it was a pleasant weakening. Throughout the whole night you could hear people up and down the corridors, just the footsteps, doors closing etc. We went for a meal and cocktails which were AMAZING! No complaints there. Staff were most helpful too! When arriving back at the room we fancied digging into the huge bar of diary milk chocolate that was in the mini bar.... But we found it was out of date!!!! Was best before 25.01.2013. As it was late, and it was only chocolate and wasn't something we 'needed' to have we left it and said we would tell reception at checkout. The next morning we were woken with no electricity in the room, tried phoning to reception but of course the phones weren't working.... Went to get dressed quickly to go down to reception and it came back on.... Then went off again. We decided to just quickly get ready whilst it was still on.
On checking out, we were told that we could not pay our room charges etc due to them having had a power failure the systems weren't running properly... I said 'oh yes we did notice... Wasn't sure what was going on' and they just said they didn't know! I realise it wasn't there fault, and probably was something out of the hotels control but a simple polite 'we hope this didn't Inconvienance you too much' phrase wouldn't have gone a miss. We then told them about the out of date chocolate.... And was told we should have phoned to receipt in when we saw it and they would have replaced straight away.......

I don't mind paying that bit extra to stay in nice hotels such as the malmaison's however I don't think I'd choose to stay in the Edinburgh one again. Don't get me wrong, rooms were clean, spacious and all staff were generally polite and helpful, but just wasn't a comfortable nights rest.... And don't expect to be kept up all night with general 'living' noise! I'd rename Aberdeen the mother of all Mals so far.....!!!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Clzkm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights in feb in room 321. Friendly staff who also made our little dog very welcome and he even had his own bed supplied. Clean room, location good, close to the Royal Yacht Britannia. Our weather was terrible so we spent a lot of time in the hotel. The windows were very draughty and the lighting in the room could be brighter. It was a stylish hotel however this did not help with practical issues. E .g. The kettle and tea and coffee making facilities are in a cupboard with no light. Had an evening meal which was lovely and a good selection of whisky in the bar. Free parking at the back of the hotel. All on all we would still return to the Mal.

• Stayed February 2013
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

nice ambience and décor, great food and friendly service very good location with good pubs and restaurants to hand. Fairly near lots of venues in Leith etc. down side is no air con, in summer really too warm to be comfortable, but as Scotland summer not too long!

Room Tip: take a fan with you if warm
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank theepilgrim
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Both myself and my partner enjoyed our stay at malmasion over the weekend the room was clean spacious and the mini bar was always re-stocked, however our room was very cold, even with the heater full up.
Staff were lovely and helpful but after having dinner in the brasserie on our last evening we were shocked to pay £35 for a fillet steak which was small, over cooked and served just with half a tomato and chips!! Not £35 worth and not what should be served in a 4* hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just home from a lovely couple of days at the Malmaison Edinburgh. The hotel really lived up to my high expectations. The ambiance of the hotel, the fab location and the superb suite we stayed in all added up to provide my fiance (yes my fiance not sure I'll ever get used to calling him that) and I a fabulous engagement celebration weekend!

The rooms were luxurious and warm without being overpoweringly hot. I've read on here that the beds were too hard but I found it to be perfect and being a super king size I had a tendency to lose my other half in it on a night.

The location of this hotel was exactly what we wanted. Be warned it's not in Edinburgh as the website states (it's in Leith) however there are lots of bars and restaurants all around the hotel meaning we were able to have a wander around during the day but eat and drink close to the hotel on an evening. Apparently there are three Michelin star restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, although we didn't bother with them and instead went for the mid price range options close by. Last night we had a fabulous meal and cocktails in The Granary which I would most certainly visit again!

In terms of things I didn't like about the hotel I'd have to really nit pick to come up with anything noteworthy. Our rooms wasn't ready until 3:30pm (30 mins after check in) which was no big deal
as it gave us an excuse to try out the bar. The suite, whilst fabulous, didn't have a feature bath like the one on the website which I'd hoped for. This was compensated though by the monsoon over bath shower and standard high end Malmaison toiletries that were provided. Finally the front door as you walk into the hotel is a bit heavy and swingy ( if you stay there you'll see what I mean by that). The second set of doors you walk through are quite heavy and have a tendency once you've walked through them to swing back on you at quite a rate, My other half got clattered by them and I saw a small dog get wiped out whilst being led into the hotel. Like I said nothing major but if I did have to pick out improvements to the hotel that would be my list.

All in all we had a wonderful weekend and I have now caught the Malmaison bug. We are now planning on doing a little Tour de Mal with our next destination being a suite at the Manchester Mal! Can't wait!!

Room Tip: The suites are well worth the extra money. We were really lucky and got one overlooking the water wh...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple