“For free, I could not expect more!”

Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
Ranked #8 of 404 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Botanics offers visitors peace and tranquility amongst its stunning 72 acres in Edinburgh city centre. Founded in 1670, the Garden is acknowledged to be one of the finest in the world.
Auckland, New Zealand
211 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“For free, I could not expect more!”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

In retrospect, these were not the best gardens I've ever been to, however these are the best gardens I've been to for free. There weren't any flowers really when we went, perhaps too late or too early, but the whole place was very lush and green. The lawns are perfectly trimmed and the trees are all nicely kept and growing. It's a bit hard to get around while next to the Chinese hills, but we managed okay. We paid the 1 pound to get map of the gardens which I highly recommend! There aren't many maps around the place and it's easy to get lost. We were expecting them to be a lot bigger than they were based on everyone's reviews. This does not take a whole day!! We skipped the glass house, but even if we hadn't, it still would not have been a whole day or even half a day for that matter. The art exhibit in the gallery in the center was strange, but hey it was free art. Worth a visit here, the Queen Mother's Garden was gorgeous and the large hedge they have is straight out of Harry Potter.

• Czech first
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“lovely palce”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Always a good chilled place to enjoy sun and nibbles amongst beautiful surroundings, I love the Botanics. Such a find in middle of a city.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lovely day out”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Excellent day-worth visiting the glasshouse-excellent. This surprised us there was a lot to see and you can easily spend 1 hour here enjoying exotic plants. Comes close to visiting a few of Kew Gardens glass houses but without the huge crowds.
We had a wonderful time here.
The gardens are lovely and park is very well maintained.

1 Thank Asmita222
Pretoria, South Africa
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Calming”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

This place has so much of fresh air you I felt like sleeping there. The colors of the flowers and the neatness of the garden carried me away. I loved the serenity of the place and peacefulness that it brought to me despite a long and tiring Journey from Dumfries.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank MumoAg
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Peaceful and Relaxing”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Time to sit back and relax and take some time away from the hustle of the city in a garden which can never be to busy due to the size very peaceful and with very good access for people in wheelchairs plenty of places to sit down and let time go by and on the day I visited it was a beautiful day which made it all the better.

1 Thank Fiddybe