“A magical weekend”
Review of Prestonfield

Prestonfield
Ranked #4 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We loved staying (and getting married here)! What a sensory experience - an amazing historic house, excellent service and wonderful rooms. The staff made us feel really special and were keen to ensure our wedding was a wonderful day. The only things that weren't exceptional were the food (which was ok but given the price and venue's reputation we thought would be better) and also on the day after our wedding, the staff were more pre-occupied with organising a wedding fair than serving us breakfast. That said, we'd still come back and recommend this for a special romantic break.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Prestonfield

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We have been to the Prestonfield several times. The last few have not been so great.

On arrival we were sat in the yellow room. We then waited 20 minutes for our drinks order to be taken.

Our cocktails arrived and were terrible. The mohito i ordered had not been muddled it had simply been all thrown in the glass.A mohito should be be muddled with lime sugar and mint. This was the same for other cocktails we ordered way below par.

My main fault was with the food.

My Partners chair was knocked into continuously by waiting staff she is only small and was almost sent flying by one member off staff. I ordered the pigeon which i usually have. The size of this portion has been reduced. For my main i had venison which was tiny. I know this is the style of fine dining however this was ridiculously small. For £33 pound i at least expect a few mouth fulls.

Overall I find the service and the food very patchy. Sometimes good sometimes rubbish.

For a £500 you would expect it to be excellent throughout. Safe to say we will not be back in the future.

Lewis Crolla.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Lewis C
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife and I went to Prestonfield for our Anniversary, and ordered the Afternoon Tea. Arriving at this splendid 17th Century mansion is an event in itself, and we were met at the door by a very very helpful young man, who led us upstairs to the Leather Room. I had asked for a table in the House with good light, but was overwhelmed by the beautiful room to ourselves with a roaring fire and 17th Century furnishings and wall decorations. The service was discreet and impeccable, and the Tea was bliss. Lashings of leaf tea of our choice, delicious sandwiches, tasty savouries, wonderful scones with jam and clotted cream and a selection of little cakes and tarts. No hurry to leave, and we were able to snoop around the hotel (fabulous) followed by a walk in the grounds where we admired the peacocks and highland cattle. A wonderful romantic afternoon.

1  Thank Bannatynescott
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I attended a dinner held by one of my husbands suppliers.

On arriving at Prestonfield we were met by a gentleman called Jamie who was dressed in full kilt outfit and very polite. We were taken to a gorgeous room with a log fire for a champagne reception then needed to a smallish room for a meal. There was 14 in the group, we were mainly served by a girl Ieva I think, she was excellent. I am vegetarian and sadly did not enjoy my meal but everyone else did.

The hotel itself is absolutely stunning, I would loved to ave stayed there. The settling is beautiful, right next to Arthur's seat - it's quite hard to believe that you are just 10 minutes from the city centre.

I would love to go back!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed at the Prestonfield on 8th April 2013 for 10 days. I was with my mother and two small children aged 3 and 4. I was utterly amazed and bowled over by the kindness of the staff and how they went out of their way to help us at every opportunity.
The children were very demanding from time to time, but the staff jumped into action to help, and made everything so easy for us, which as a real delight. The food was fantastic and the chef was very patient and waited for us, if we weren't in the dining room on time, for both breakfast and dinner, which was a welcome change from most hotels. It wasn't always easy to get the children to bed, or out of the room on time, but the hotel took this all in it's stride, which was lovely.
The decor was so flamboyant, luxurious and homely, we spent many evenings enjoying the log fire in the leather room and sipping a fantastic range of wines and champagnes.

The grounds were perfect for letting the children run around safely, while admiring the hotel's friendly pet peacocks. We also had wonderful cream teas in the quaint sun house, total bliss!

All in all a wonderful piece of luxury, at the foot of Arthur's seat, with a feel of being deep in the countryside, but yet very close to the city centre. An amazing place altogether, we will look forward to returning very soon. I cannot praise all the staff enough for their friendliness, and for making us feel so at home, always so polite and happy to help.
They also made my mother's Boston Terrier feel completely at home, with her own water bowl in the room also offering to walk her while we had dinner. Allowing dogs is a huge plus in my book!
Katie, Sam and Liam were particlarily helpful throughout our stay. Thankyou Prestonfield

Room Tip: Room 2 was great for being near a door to get outside quickly and have enough room for two children...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We've dined before at Rhubarb (the restaurant at Prestonfield House) but this was the first time we had stayed overnight in the hotel. Our room was very comfortable, and furnished richly as you'd expect from the rest of the hotel's appearance, with lots of deep reds - and a large double bed. We did have a view over the hotel grounds to the Highland Cattle but the window was quite small and you needed to be standing to see out properly.

The chilled champagne (part of our overnight package) was most enjoyable and after a couple of glasses each in the room we took the rest of the bottle to the restaurant to accompany our starters, where an ice bucket was swiftly produced. The main course was outstanding with an excellent chateaubriand steak shared between us, accompanied by a generous and well-cooked selection of vegetables - so much so that there was no room for dessert and we concluded with coffee and petit fours in one of the lounges. The wines were quite pricey but there were enough bottles at under £40 to give a reasonable choice. The one aspect of the meal which could have detracted from a lovely evening was the relatively slow service where we had long waits for our starters and main course in particular (more than 45 minutes) to arrive.

Breakfast was made more interesting by watching the antics of the resident peacocks in the hotel grounds and the early golfers at Prestonfield Golf Club, against the backdrop of Arthur's Seat. There was a good buffet selection of cereals, fruits, juice and pastries made by the hotel pastry chef, and an interesting choice of cooked breakfasts, with a note of the suppliers of the various ingredients - always a sign of a superior cooked breakfast, and so it proved.

Our overnight stay, including champagne, a £40 bottle of wine, and dinner from the a la carte menu was not cheap - around £400. I thought the hotel furniture and furnishings were a bit over the top but my wife adored it all. I'd definitely go again - great for a wedding anniversary or similar treat.

2  Thank Colin W
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Booked in for a night's break. Lovely setting, gorgeous food, wonderful service. Very much enjoyed, especially the lovely dinner. Loved the decor - especially the books everywhere for a quick browse. Very relaxing.