We've dined before at Rhubarb (the restaurant at Prestonfield House) but this was the first time we had stayed overnight in the hotel. Our room was very comfortable, and furnished richly as you'd expect from the rest of the hotel's appearance, with lots of deep reds - and a large double bed. We did have a view over the hotel grounds to the Highland Cattle but the window was quite small and you needed to be standing to see out properly.
The chilled champagne (part of our overnight package) was most enjoyable and after a couple of glasses each in the room we took the rest of the bottle to the restaurant to accompany our starters, where an ice bucket was swiftly produced. The main course was outstanding with an excellent chateaubriand steak shared between us, accompanied by a generous and well-cooked selection of vegetables - so much so that there was no room for dessert and we concluded with coffee and petit fours in one of the lounges. The wines were quite pricey but there were enough bottles at under £40 to give a reasonable choice. The one aspect of the meal which could have detracted from a lovely evening was the relatively slow service where we had long waits for our starters and main course in particular (more than 45 minutes) to arrive.
Breakfast was made more interesting by watching the antics of the resident peacocks in the hotel grounds and the early golfers at Prestonfield Golf Club, against the backdrop of Arthur's Seat. There was a good buffet selection of cereals, fruits, juice and pastries made by the hotel pastry chef, and an interesting choice of cooked breakfasts, with a note of the suppliers of the various ingredients - always a sign of a superior cooked breakfast, and so it proved.
Our overnight stay, including champagne, a £40 bottle of wine, and dinner from the a la carte menu was not cheap - around £400. I thought the hotel furniture and furnishings were a bit over the top but my wife adored it all. I'd definitely go again - great for a wedding anniversary or similar treat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prestonfield is Edinburgh's most indulgent retreat and Scotland's latest 5-star hotel. Rated one of the "Best 101 Hotels in the World" by Tatler/Abercrombie & Kent and AA Hotel of the Year 2005, this exceptional hotel is near Edinburgh's Royal Mile. Prestonfield has been lavishly restored by new owner James Thomson of Edinburgh's famous Witchery by the Castle. Now guests find every modern convenience hidden behind the velvet-upholstered walls of Edinburgh's most talked-about bedrooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Cancelon, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Prestonfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Prestonfield Hotel Edinburgh
- Prestonfield Edinburgh, Scotland