“Plush experience”

Ranked #3 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Plush experience”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We've dined before at Rhubarb (the restaurant at Prestonfield House) but this was the first time we had stayed overnight in the hotel. Our room was very comfortable, and furnished richly as you'd expect from the rest of the hotel's appearance, with lots of deep reds - and a large double bed. We did have a view over the hotel grounds to the Highland Cattle but the window was quite small and you needed to be standing to see out properly.

The chilled champagne (part of our overnight package) was most enjoyable and after a couple of glasses each in the room we took the rest of the bottle to the restaurant to accompany our starters, where an ice bucket was swiftly produced. The main course was outstanding with an excellent chateaubriand steak shared between us, accompanied by a generous and well-cooked selection of vegetables - so much so that there was no room for dessert and we concluded with coffee and petit fours in one of the lounges. The wines were quite pricey but there were enough bottles at under £40 to give a reasonable choice. The one aspect of the meal which could have detracted from a lovely evening was the relatively slow service where we had long waits for our starters and main course in particular (more than 45 minutes) to arrive.

Breakfast was made more interesting by watching the antics of the resident peacocks in the hotel grounds and the early golfers at Prestonfield Golf Club, against the backdrop of Arthur's Seat. There was a good buffet selection of cereals, fruits, juice and pastries made by the hotel pastry chef, and an interesting choice of cooked breakfasts, with a note of the suppliers of the various ingredients - always a sign of a superior cooked breakfast, and so it proved.

Our overnight stay, including champagne, a £40 bottle of wine, and dinner from the a la carte menu was not cheap - around £400. I thought the hotel furniture and furnishings were a bit over the top but my wife adored it all. I'd definitely go again - great for a wedding anniversary or similar treat.

2 Thank Colin W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Booked in for a night's break. Lovely setting, gorgeous food, wonderful service. Very much enjoyed, especially the lovely dinner. Loved the decor - especially the books everywhere for a quick browse. Very relaxing.

Edinburgh
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We went for afternoon tea recently and mostly had a lovely experience with a really superb selection of sandwiches, scones and sweets. The rose bud tea I had was delicious and I enjoyed every minute of the food and drink.

Where Prestonfield slightly fell down for us was that we were in the Yellow Room right beside the front door. If it is a sign of how valued you are as a visitor to a house by how far you are allowed in to it, the Yellow Room pretty much seems to be the waiting area and we didn't really feel that welcome. The seats are low and the leather ones not that comfy, and it took a while to warm through from outside cold. We definitely warmed up with the toasty fire going (about 1/2 hour later) but as a first experience in Prestonfield, I wasn't immediately taken with it. I did pop to the ladies to see if I could see anything else of what looks like an amazing building and I think that it could be a wonderful overall experience had you been shown a bit more into the heart of the home.

Ok, I think I sound really picky but I suppose the first impression really does count and mine was only tepid. Having said this, everything really did warm from then on and I would go back to try again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Well the title says it all!, I booked a two night stay as a suprise for my fiance's 30th birthday between christmas and new year 2012, we stayed in another hotel for the first night and at the Prestonfield for the 2nd night, we stumbled across the Rhubarb restaurant the last time we visited Edinburgh and had a meal there, as soon as our taxi turned the corner into the long driveway we looked at each other and said WOW, we were blown away by our first experience of the Prestonfield, the food is divine and the overall dinning experience unforgetable with sumptuous opulent decor and furnishings, the whiskey room and the tapestry room are our personal favourites of the drawing rooms.
I booked the owners suite with it being a special occasion, rang the hotel to advise that it was a suprise and not to mention I had booked a suite when we checked in, just to add to the shock factor when we got to our room, the hotel obliged and she got the shock of her life when we were shown to our room, so much so she couldn't speak for over an hour she was that blown away with it!!!, if you've got a special anniversary/birthday and can afford to fork out just shy of £300 for 1 night then do it, you won't be dissapointed the room was just magnificent with all the opulence you could ask for, incredibly romantic with a huge bath for two, champagne on ice waiting for you in the room on arrival (inc in the price), heated bathroom floor with different coloured lighting, classic FM playing softly in the background of the bedroom (which was just stunning) with ostrich plume cushions etc, there is also a seperate lounge with pictures of famous people who have stayed in this suite, (Sean Connery, American presidents etc). Once my fiance got over the shock of the sheer beauty of the room I informed her I had arranged private dinning in the salon privee, which is like a royal box which you pass on the stone staircase up to the suite and over looks the grounds, again it was incredibly romantic and didn't cost any extra as you can probably guess she was again gobsmacked and reduced to tears!, food and service again was 1st class, special mention to Brian for his attentiveness and his vast knowledge, he really made our night very special. My other half can recommend the eggs benedict for breakfast, but whatever you have will be fabulous (if your a whiskey lover like me then you will be in your element), we couldn't stop talking about the Prestonfield for weeks and weeks after, and still talk about it now, we took loads of pictures of the room and a video, will get round to uploading them soon. Thanks Prestonfield for the best hotel experience ever

Room Tip: Owners suite if you can afford to spoil yourselves!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GlynM537
bedford
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Just spent a lovely afternoon at Prestonfield House enjoying their wonderful Afternoon Tea. We received a warm welcome and were taken to The Leather Room where we remained for a good few hours. Excellent value for money, lovely selection of sandwiches, cakes and teas. We will be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
scotland
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Our friends got married at the stables, prestonfield in March. I was a bit apprehensive that the ceremony, meal and reception was in the same room all day .....but. It was fab, humanist ceremony, nice food, great and the service was seamless all day, they do functions as well there so cant wait for my next visit!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bonny Scotland
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

I was staying here Saturday nite just passed this is my 4th time at this lovely hotel and it always tick all the boxes .
Firstly I would like to praise the new head of concierge a really nice down to earth guy and a credit to the hotel. Always very helpfull and makes sure you get looked after.
Bryan was the other star running about the hotel making sure everyone had a drink , he done a great job and went the extra mile just what a hotel like this needs.
Breakfast was ace again good solid Scottish breakfast just what you need to start the day .
Looking forward to my next stay already .

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple