“Ideally suited to our needs”

Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront
Ranked #46 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Brooklyn, New York
“Ideally suited to our needs”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Staff friendly and very helpful. When my wife forgot her bag at Wagamama, a quick email to them resulted in a call to our room 45 minutes later as they had the bag for us downstairs.

We took the bus directly from the airport to the front of the hotel in Leith.
By now the new tram line should be ready to get one from the airport to Princes St.

Exactly what we were looking for when traveling , good, but slightly off center location, clean and very attentively run. Interesting local food culture, the Britannia and the Scottish Government building make it a different Leith from my memories of 40 odd years ago.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Grlaham1,
Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and felt that the hotel was clean and very attentively run.
I’m so glad that you enjoyed our location and yes Leith has changed for the better over that last 40 years.
We do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel the next time that you are in Edinburgh.
Andrew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2014

My husband and I spent one night at the hotel as we were going to Tom Kitchen's restaurant just around the corner. Wasn't sure what to expect being an 'Express' hotel, but was not disappointed. Room comfortable and clean, staff very helpful, great location. Would certainly recommend to anyone thinking of staying here for a one or a couple of nights. Long term stay might be difficult as hardly any hanging space but I don't think that is what the hotel is about. I needed to borrow an iron and ironing board and the staff were very quick to provide me with one which worked perfectly. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear Michelle D,
Many thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us.
I’m so glad that you found your room to be comfortable and clean, found our staff to be very helpful and that you enjoyed our location which is close to all of the local restaurants and amenities.
I’m delighted that you would stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
essex
Reviewed May 17, 2014

we stayed at the holiday inn in Ocean Drive for one night due to work. I actually woud have been happy to stay here for a few more days. Our room was lovely and clean and welcoming. It had everything we needed. The TV was an impressive size and there was a nice sofa to relax on and a very accomadating unit in which to store all your clothes etc. A very nice welcoming touch was the choice of soft or hard pillows and what really scored good in my book was the air conditioning unit, i like to be cool in bed although it was much to husbands disdain as he likes it warm (even in summer). the shower area was lovely and there was also a big desk which would come in handy for buisnessman etc. I had a lovely nights sleep on a very comfortable bed i really hated having to get up at five am for work.I really wanted to try the breakfast but we had to leave at 5.30 am so we missed it. The room was really clean and had everything i wanted. Theres nice bar area etc and i would just like to say how welcoming the staff were (my husband is heavily tattooed and we dont always get a warm reception due to this). Im hoping to stay again here soon with work commitments and i would stay here everytime. Thankyou holiday inn.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank countessraven
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear countessraven,
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay.
I’m so glad that you found your room to be lovely, clean and welcoming, that you liked that choice of soft or hard pillows and that you enjoyed the air conditioning.
I am sure that had you let us know that you required an early breakfast our team would have been more than happy to provide this for you.
I’m delighted that you found our staff to be welcoming and we all look forward to welcoming you back the next time that you are in Edinburgh.
Crieff, Scotland
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed here for the second time in 2 months last weekend, and again, it was ideal for our needs.

Each time, we've arrived around midday to take advantage of the excellent local restaurants for lunch, and haven't had a problem with parking, though we could see how stowed the car park was as we left the next morning. It's a pity, as there's masses of empty space nearby!

The room was immaculate, very comfy, and the staff were friendly and efficient throughout. Inclusive breakfast was adequate: nothing fancy - but plentiful!

With the convenient bus stop outside, great eateries nd tourist spots close by, convenient shops etc, we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ZenoAktagamat,
Welcome back and thank yu so much for reviewing your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you found your room to be immaculate and very comfy and that you found our staff to be friendly and efficient throughout your stay.
I’m so glad that you enjoyed our location with it’s easy access to the excellent local restaurants and the local tourist attractions and amenities.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Excellent stay. Staff very helpful, room quiet, breakfast very good, location excellent for Royal Yacht. Buses from stop just outside. You can use them to get to the centre of the city. You need to buy a day pass on the bus and have the correct change ready. At this time it is £3.50 for adults. You can hop on and off buses all day with that one pass. Many shops and restaurants in the Ocean Terminal a few minutes walk away. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room on a low down floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Peter G,
Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you had an excellent stay and that you found our staff to be helpful, your room quiet, enjoyed our free Express Start hot buffet breakfast and felt that our location was excellent for accessing both the local attractions and also the city centre through the use of the very frequent public bus service which runs form just outside the hotel.
We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Culcheth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Hotel is fine, warm, comfortable and clean. Staff friendly and very helpful. Great location for Leith centre which is full of restaurants and pubs to visit. Only problem is parking which can be a pain as there's not enough space.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Giles L,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you found the hotel to be warm, comfortable and clean and that you felt that our staff were friendly and very helpful.
I’m so glad that you enjoyed our location though am sorry that you had issues with finding a parking space within our free car park. There are an extra 6 spaces available for residents between the hotel and the Britannia Spice restaurant and I’m sorry that this option was not made clear to you during your stay.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel sometime in the future.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Stayed at this location as it was right on the waterfront-literally across the street. The only downside is there is not sufficient parking for the number of rooms. During our stay there was an internet service company that had numerous people staying in the facility, so their work vehicles took many of the slots. The staff that we interacted with were all extremely friendly and helpful. VERY pleasant! The rooms are compact but very comfortable. The only complaint I have is that the pillows were very hard. Both my husband and I felt like we were sleeping on bricks. Next morning I asked my sister and mom and both indicated the same! So, I think this must be the type of pillows they like in this particular area???!! We had a beautiful drive (next morning) through this older part of the city and were able to view many historic buildings and architecture. I would return to this property when in the area again, but I think I would bring my own pillow! Breakfast is included in the rate-typical English/Scot breakfast fare. Not a fan of the sausage, so ate rather light--did enjoy the fruit, bread, lunchmeats and cheeses. Ordered a pizza the evening we checked in and was quite tasty. Three of us shared one and there was plenty left over!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear BamTamOK.
Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you found our staff to be extremely friendly, helpful and very pleasant and that you found our rooms to be compact but very comfortable.
I’m sorry that you felt that our pillows were hard. We have 2 firm and 2 soft pillows in each room so that guest are able to make use of the pillows that they find most comfortable. I’m sure that had you brought your concerns to our team during your stay they would have tried their utmost to find an alternative solution for you.
I’m so glad that even though you are not a fan of sausages you were able to sample the other varied choices that we offer in our free Express Start hot buffet breakfast.
I do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel the next time that you visit Edinburgh.