“Brilliant value for money!!”

Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront
Ranked #46 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Brilliant value for money!!”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Lovely hotel in all senses. Very helpful staff, amazingly clean rooms, huge variety for breakfast (which is free!), free parking, free wifi, even down to choosing firm or soft pillows!

Even though the hotel is outside the city centre, the 45 min walk to princes street is easy and passes a variety of shops and cafes making it an interesting little stroll. (A taxi only cost £ 8 anyway)

We're definitely staying the next time were up!

• Stayed March 2014
GMexpressedinburgh, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Meghorner,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. It’s great to hear that all aspects of your stay were to your satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel next time you are up.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed & enjoyed holiday inns before we knew what to expect. However the breafast was slightly disappointing compared to others. The orange juice was watered down the beans were anaemic & the egg was runny.
The bar was the most expensive drink we had in Edinburgh but 'good measures'.
The bed was comfy but the pillows hard but the shower was fabulous.
The location was excellent for what we wanted & yes we would stay again!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Kellyandy_11,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you would choose to stay again.

Thank you for your feedback we are always eager to learn what we are doing well and also how we can improve. I am pleased to hear that you would choose to stay again.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Just spent 3 nights here and have to say everything about our stay was perfect.. We had a good deal on our stay through my wife's Nhs discount and on arrival we knew straight away we chose a good hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and always found the time to talk to our 3 1/2 year old daughter. The room was very clean and well equipped with everything we needed. The location is perfect as its a reasonably quiet area and within a stones throw away with a modern shopping centre with lots of restaurants open till late. You will also find a bus stop right outside the hotel where there is a bus literally every 5 minutes to take you to the city centre. All in all we couldn't fault our stay and are already planning another trip to do the things we didn't get around to and will happily stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor at the front and although some people say its noisy then they must be ver...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Dave C
GMexpressedinburgh, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Dave C,

Thank you for this lovely review of your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that your stay was perfect and that our team did a great job of looking after you and your family. I hope that you will plan another visit and if you need any more tips on things to see and do please just let us know.

Manchester
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed here with my partner and hound for three nights on a wonderful deal my partner found on Hot UK Deals. But I would stay here again anyway.

The staff member who checked us in seemed a little like he was counting the minutes down til clocking off, but overall the staff were wonderfully helpful, friendly and made a very positive environment to stay in. As we had pooch with us, he said they had made the effort to place us on the ground floor to help - this was much appreciated and very thoughtful.

Room was clean and tidy and had everything you needed really. hairdryer was there too which was alright actually (most hotel hairdryers are pretty rubbish) but I took my own just to be on the safe side. Tea, coffee etc duly provided however, would appreciate some biscuits (shortbread would have been good, I mean come on. We're in Scotland!) with the other amenities.

Breakfast was good, this comes as standard with your room booking. Wide range of cereals, a whole array of teas and billions of sausages. The first morning I thought I had missed bacon (I do like a good bacon butty, me) so was eager to have some the next morning, but it was a no show. If you like sausages great - but there was a severe lack of bacon. Sad face.
Plenty of orange juice, cheese and yogurts. Great to set you up for a hard days exploring.

Beds comfy, with selection of pillows. Walls are thin-ish. Last night we could hear a bloke's alarm clock go off and pressed snooze from 3am - 4.30am. What. A. Joy. He turned it off though whenever he heard a swift thump on wall from yours truly (a total of 5 times..) So I would come armed with ear plugs if you are a light sleeper, like me. Not hotels fault, just rude guest who love his snooze button.

Location? Great. Short trip to the Royal Mile. Right on the front and next to the Ocean Terminal Shopping Centre with your usual shops like H&M, Waterstones etc and a Vue cinema if you have some time to kill. Also a Tesco round the corner.

Also, a great selection of your usual eateries - Frankie & Benny's (we went one night, it was OK. as to be expected), Bella Italia etc etc if you have an iPhone, or can download VoucherCloud, you can get some vouchers/money off etc for most of the places in here. There is a curry house next to the hotel "Brittania Spice" - we didn't go as couldn't find it on TripAdvisor.. But looked OK.

The place I would tell you you HAVE to go to is Chop Chop, an authentic Chinese just behind the hotel. If you walk down the road in between the hotel and Brittania Spice, it is on the Quays near the bottom. I will be writing a review about here - honestly one of the best meals I think I have ever had.

To reiterate, free parking and pooch friendly. I would suggest mentioning upon booking if you plan to take your pet. Just to be courteous and in case you have any questions etc.

So! Would stay here again for sure. Thumbs up, Holiday Inn Waterfront!

Room Tip: As said before, if light sleeper, come armed with ear plugs in case you're plonked next to a rud...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RachelRS
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear RachelRS,
Many thanks for taking the time to post your very review and thank you also for providing us with a very comprehensive overview. It is much appreciated.
I’m delighted that you were pleased with most aspects of your stay and I apologise that you were disturbed by noise from a neighbouring room.
I’m glad that we were able to provide you with a ground floor room as you had your dog with you. We feel that allocating rooms on the ground floor makes it easier for guests to be able to take their pets out for walks without the hassle of taking them into lifts etc.
Unfortunately the free Express Start hot buffet breakfast does not include bacon though I am glad that you enjoyed the choices that we offer on our breakfast buffet.
There are a huge number of restaurants within a few minutes walk if the local area and these provide a wide choice for guests visiting the area and I’m glad that you enjoyed the restaurants that you visited.
Many thanks once again for your review and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel the next time that you visit Edinburgh.
Rugby
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Just had a weekend there ,can't say enought about the staff all very friendly .The room was clean and tidy And the bed was great with a great shower to.The only thing I would say about our trip is apart from The shopping centre and the hotel the area is a little run down .

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear MaryRugby,
Many thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you found are staff to be very friendly, your room clean and tidy and enjoyed the great power shower in the en-suite bathroom.
Although some parts of the local area do look to be a little run down the Shore area of Leith is only a ten minute walk from the hotel and this area hosts some of the most popular bars and restaurants in Leith and Edinburgh.
I hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The staff were friendly and helpful, The bedroom was clean and we would recommend it. It is in a nice location next to the harbour, Royal Yacht Britannia and a shopping centre but is about a 20 minute bus ride from the Royal Mile however there are buses every couple of minutes from outside the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear mrsmullender,
Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you felt that our staff were friendly and helpful, that you found your bedroom to be clean and that you would recommend us.
I’m glad that you enjoyed our location with it’s easy access to the local amenities and also to the city centre via the very frequent public bus service which runs from directly outside the hotel.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in Edinburgh.
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner had booked to stay here for 3 nights we arrived on Sunday and the staff are very pleasant and helpful.

however... A drink was spilt on the bed sheets on the first night of our stay, now on day 2 the sheets have still not been changed, so we are still sleeping in a bed with dirty sheets?
Also in our room when we arrived on the floor near the bed is a pink clothing tag, this was here when we arrived and has still not moved, proving the room has not been vacuumed.

Although On many reviews the managers advises what can be accessed from reception ie electric heaters, irons, extension cables this is information is not available in your room therefore you wouldn't know.

I have also found a problem similar to many other hotels, there seems to be no plug socket near the mirror or bed... Annoying.

Breakfast is hot buffet but the only options available were sausages (which were okay). scrambled eggs (which were very runny and mushy) and beans (which have been cold both mornings so far). The cold buffet is okay although no one seems to check on the jams / butters being topped up.

The shower is very powerful and the bathroom seems to be clean, bins emptied daily and fresh cups provided for tea and coffee.

The bus service from just outside the hotel is fantastic with buses running every 5 minutes into the city centre, or if your feeling up to It a nice 30 minute walk.

All in all the staff are friendly enough and we feel safe staying here and had a pretty average experience.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Stayceyd1991,
Many thanks for posting your review of your recent stay with us and I apologise for the deficiencies you found regarding the cleanliness of your room. Guest room cleanliness is one of the most important aspects of a guest stay and I apologise that our normally high standard was not provided during your stay.
We do provide a Directory of Services in each guest room and whilst not every provision is included in this we do provide details of how to contact reception who will try their utmost to deal with any enquiries that you may have. There is also a Holiday Inn Express Promise card in each room and these contain my contact details should guests wish to contact me during their stay regarding any issues that they may have.
I know that Fiona the Deputy General Manager had spoken to you on your departure regarding the areas raised in your review and I understand that she has provided you with bonus IHG Rewards Card points by way of apology for the deficiencies that you experienced during your stay.
My apologies once again and I do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.