Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront
$167
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$125
Travelocity
Fraser Suites Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
$152
  • Restaurant
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$136
$126
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$225
$119
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
1,524 results
All reviewsocean terminalthe royal yacht britanniahi expressbus stop right outside the hotelfree wifibus serviceday ticketthe sofa bedfrequent busesminute bus ridebreakfast was includedbudget hotelnumber busyogurtshort staytea and coffeebars and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Spent a couple of days at this hotel. £60 per night very reasonable for Edinburgh.
Very comfortable room, well apportioned. Complimentary buffet breakfast had tasty hot food(Great sausages!)and plenty of choice for all tastes.
Only comment - weak orange juice.
Big shopping centre at Ocean Terminal opposite with good shops and restaurants and plenty of small eating places all around the hotel ( They also gave us discount vouchers for these)
Bus terminal opposite the hotel with services to centre of town and airport.
Overall - a pleasant base for visiting the capital

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AllanMorag
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear AllanMorag,
Many thanks for posting such a lovely review of your recent stay with us.
I’m glad that you found our breakfast to be varied and tasty and your room comfortable and well apportioned.
As you have stated the hotel is ideally located for shopping and eating in the local area and handy for transport links to the city centre and the airport.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Kind regards,
Andrew Leonard

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We checked in on 27/11/12, the hotel is in a good position on the waterfront, and we parked in the hotel car park, there is a large shopping mall almost opposite, which incorporates the entrance to the yacht Britannia. We were given room 306 on the 3rd floor, the first thing we noticed was A) there was a strange musty smell about the room B) it was freezing cold.
I contacted reception about the room temperature to be told that the heating only works when the key card is inserted into the slot just inside the door, no warm welcome then! I put the card in the slot and the ac/heating unit spluttered into action, clanking and making a hell of a racket, but blowing out precious little in the way of warm air. We had to go out and meet someone, so again reported the problem to the receptionist who said she would get the maintenance man to sort it, but when we returned late at night the problem remained. Yet another call to reception brought forth some extra blankets and a plug in fan heater which didn't work!!!
Breakfast was a lacklustre affair, the hot offering of sausages, beans and scrambled eggs looked sad and dejected so we steered clear and went for the (stale) croissants and (stale) rolls, with jam. The cereals and muffins were pretty good though.
One thing that really gets my goat with hotels(this one being no exception) is that after you have paid well over £100 for a cold smelly room for the night, they have the effrontery to try and charge you £5 per hour to use their Wifi.
Did it not occur to anyone, that people arriving in a Scottish winter might like the bedroom to be warm when they get there? Pretty fundamental I would have thought. Needless to say we will not be rushing back.

Oh I nearly forgot, the TV only worked intermittently too, all in all totally unacceptable.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
3  Thank John W
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear John W,
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to our hotel and for the constructive comments that you have provided.
The air conditioning units in our guest rooms are set so that the temperature of the room is kept at a temperature of 19 degrees during the day and this temperature is also programmed to rise to 21 degrees between the hours of 4.00pm and 6.00pm when the majority of our guests check in. I apologise that you were given the incorrect information that the units do not work unless the key card is inserted into the slot in the room. It is only when the key card is inserted that the guest has the option to increase the temperature of the unit to 25 degrees using the in room controller. Once the key card is removed from the slot the unit will then revert to the programmed temperature of 21 degrees. It is our standard practice to provide guests with two key cards and to inform them to leave one card in the slot if they are leaving the room for any length of time and I apologise that this procedure was not followed on your arrival. I have taken your comments regarding the ‘warm welcome’ on board and as of last week we have now left key cards in all of our rooms so that a consistently warm temperature is maintained throughout the day.
I am sorry that you found both the croissants and rolls on the breakfast buffet stale. Both of these items are cooked from frozen first thing in the morning and throughout breakfast service as needed.
Whilst there is a charge for wi-fi access in the guest rooms we do offer free access for 6 hours per day in our public areas and this service is widely used and appreciated by our guests.
I apologise for the issues you experienced with the television. I am pleased to inform all of our guests that our guest room televisions are being replaced with brand new 36 inch flat screen freeview televisions in week commencing the 10th December.
Many thanks once again for providing your thorough and constructive review. I hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Kind regards,
Andrew Leonard

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, Edinburgh Waterfront on night of 20th November and could not fault the very comfortable room, the service or the public areas. The staff were polite, friendly and efficient (the phone charger I left behind was in the post before I e-mailed to report it missing) and the small room I booked for a meeting was laid out as I had requested with no cause for complaint.

The only niggle I had, one which could apply to most “budget” hotels (£79.99 a night including taxes), was that there were no restaurant facilities. Apart from a basic breakfast buffet, you could only order hot food (a choice of three or four pizzas) when the bar was open from 4pm to 2am. Bar prices were reasonable and they had my favourite malt whisky (it may have been the only one they had!). No Scottish beers which was disappointing.

There was plenty of free on-site parking at the back and front of the building for the folk attending the meeting I hosted. That’s a big bonus in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: If you want a waterfront view ask for a room at the front.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jack R
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Nice quiet location. Shopping centre across the road for most needs.
Bus stops at the centre to most locations in the city.
Breakfast was very good and there is an excellent Indian restaurant right next door.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel is well situated for Leith and North Edinburgh. It has free parking in a small but welcome car park. We stayed here in November and it was a brilliant stay! Staff were friendly and very helpful spotlessly clean hotel, great location for transport into the centre of the city.
Limited parking however side street next to the hotel to park in if car park full.
breakfast could off been a bit more variety but can't really complain.