Checkin was fast and efficient and two room key cards provided without being requested.
Two lifts available to take you to your floor.
The room was fairly well proportioned and although we were only staying 3 nights, would easily provide enough room and closet space if you were staying on a longer break.
A large work surface for a laptop and one double electric socket at desk height. Which meant if you needed to recharge two phones and two iPads you had to hunt for a free socket elsewhere in the room.
Tea/coffee making facility in the room, and just enough coat hangers to get all our clothes hung.
A real disappointment in the room was the old fashioned portable TV. Although it worked, you get used to most hotels providing larger flat screen TVs for improved sound and vision quality.
One door led to the bathroom and when swung round (on 180 deg hinges) also doubled up as the door to the separate toilet. Seems to work quite well. The shower was reasonably powerful but used a shower curtain which you had to make sure was inside the shower tray, otherwise your floor was flooded as I found out on the first shower.
A liquid soap dispenser was available inside the shower and another beside the wash hand basin. I do miss soap bars nowadays.
Even though it was July, the weather was miserable and on the first night we were absolutely frozen. I visited reception and told them the room was very cold, so they manually reset the heating in the room and this worked in heating the room within 40-50 minutes, but later the thermostat went back to automatic and only cold air was being thrown around the room. It was the same on all three nights, however, on night three we requested a small heater just so we could control the temperature.
If this was a problem, I just didn't understand why a repair could not be made. Instead, guests need to have conversations with reception for temperature control.
There are no evening meals offered but that is not an issue as there as so many restaurants within minutes walk of the hotel. However, you could opt for a Pizza which was could be eaten in the bar or restaurant area.
There was a small 'honesty' shop selling waters, juices and snacks. A microwave and an ice machine near reception.
Breakfast was included in all room rates. There was scrambled eggs, sausages & beans and the sausages were excellent, really tasty. Hot fresh croissants or bread rolls. White and brown bread for toast, two toasters. Two fresh ground coffee machines that dispenses americano, capuchino and other types of coffees. The coffee was excellent quality. There was plenty of fruit selection, cheese and yogurts and muffins. Not a bad selection overall.
Breakfast was served through till 1030 each morning and 1100 on saturday and sundays. So really sensible breakfast times when on holiday.
The bar backs onto the reception, so no problem getting service and a drink from the well stocked bar. Some really good wines available and I appreciated it when we ordered two large glasses of red wine the receptionist advised us to take a bottle for an extra few quid rather than buy by the glass.
The location of the hotel is perfect near Ocean Terminal or Leith Waters. Big car park and buses run into the centre every few minutes. We walked to the end of Princes Street and it took us around 30 minutes at a casual relaxed pace.
As mentioned the only negative point was the failure to resolve the heating problem from day 1 of our stay.
The staff were all courteous and professional and helped us with advice when requested so definitely 10 out of 10 to the staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Waterfront offering free Wi-Fi, air conditioning, great value rates with an inclusive buffet breakfast. Enjoy free parking at the hotel and its superb location, which is ideal for exploring this charming and fascinating city. The Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Waterfront is located next to Ocean Terminal, Edinburgh's newest leisure and shopping destination, the Scottish Executive, the Royal Yacht Britannia & close to all major business areas. The old port area of Edinburgh-Leith has many atmospheric bars, bistros and boutiques & is only 1.5 miles from the city centre. Alternatively you can relax and unwind in our cosy lounge bar. The Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Waterfront has good parking with 60 spaces available at the hotel on a first-come-first-served basis and there is also ample additional parking available at Ocean Terminal, opposite. There is a frequent public bus service from the front door making it an ideal location for visiting all of Edinburgh's famous attractions such as Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace, The Royal Mile, Princes Street, national museums and galleries. We are delighted to unveil our brand new bedrooms which feature a whole new look. You can enjoy modern décor, irons and ironing boards and brand new hairdryers so that you look your best. Additionally our bedrooms are now packed with even more facilities including a comfy sofa (in family rooms) with a movable table, a wall-mounted TV, USB ports and power sockets next to your bed, nifty reading lights and full-width curtains which will make the rooms even cosier. The en suite shower rooms have also been spruced up with cool, fresh decor. We can't wait for your to experience our cool new look! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, IHG, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Hotwire and Evoline ltd so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront Hotel Edinburgh
- Holiday Inn Express Leith
- Leith Holiday Inn Express
- Holiday Inn Edinburgh
- Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront Scotland