Myself and my partner stayed here for a weekend break at the end of May as we were visiting Edinburgh to attend a show at the Playhouse Theatre. Having looked at various options, I chose this hotel as it was reasonably priced and not too far from the City.....I made an excellent choice.
The hotel was clean, comfortable and had all the facilities you would need. Our room was more than satisfactory if small - who needs loads of room when all you are really doing is sleeping there. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable with lovely pillows. I loved the bathroom with the walk in shower which had excellent water pressure and the really cool door which doubled up as a door to the bathroom or a door to separate the toilet from the rest of the bathroom - very funky!! The coconut shower gel/wash gel was also nice and the room had the usual free coffee/tea bags. We borrowed an iron and ironing board from reception which was no problem. The only thing missing in the room was a small fridge which would have been welcome to chill the drinks we bought as it was a very hot weekend - the air con was a God send.
The staff were lovely and friendly and gave advice on bus routes etc. The bar area and breakfast area was kept clean and was pleasant to sit in. The complimentary breakfast was more than sufficient considering there was no extra charge for it. I have noticed that some reviews on here have complained about it but how can you complain about something that is basically free?? There were 3 kinds of cereal, toast, rolls, croissant, marg and jam etc. Cold meat and cheese and a selection of fruit. Choice of juices and coffee and tea and also scrambled eggs, beans and sausages. I think this is a generous selection and those who have complained should check out the prices other hotels charge for breakfasts. It was all hot and fresh and nicely cooked.
The hotel is a bit out of town in Leith but the location was great really - the Ocean Terminal shopping centre is just across the road which has a choice of restaurants and places to eat and also numerous shops and a cinema - we went to the cinema and received a discout voucher with our cinema ticket to go and eat at the Handmade Burger Co which I can highly recommend - gorgeous food and great staff at reasonable prices. The number 22 bus comes by the hotel every ten minutes and takes you into the City for £3 ish for a return ticket. We also managed to hop on the open top bus tour from outside the Ocean Terminal for £12 each and you can get on and off as much as you like within 24 hours. It was lovely on a hot day to do the tour which takes in some great places on interest. We got the train to Edinburgh and a taxi from Waverley to the hotel was £10 but if you are driving there is a free car park.
All in all a great place to stay for a trip to Edinburgh and we will most definately return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Waterfront offering free Wi-Fi, air conditioning, great value rates with an inclusive buffet breakfast. Enjoy free parking at the hotel and its superb location, which is ideal for exploring this charming and fascinating city. The Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Waterfront is located next to Ocean Terminal, Edinburgh's newest leisure and shopping destination, the Scottish Executive, the Royal Yacht Britannia & close to all major business areas. The old port area of Edinburgh-Leith has many atmospheric bars, bistros and boutiques & is only 1.5 miles from the city centre. Alternatively you can relax and unwind in our cosy lounge bar. The Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Waterfront has good parking with 60 spaces available at the hotel on a first-come-first-served basis and there is also ample additional parking available at Ocean Terminal, opposite. There is a frequent public bus service from the front door making it an ideal location for visiting all of Edinburgh's famous attractions such as Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace, The Royal Mile, Princes Street, national museums and galleries. We are delighted to unveil our brand new bedrooms which feature a whole new look. You can enjoy modern décor, irons and ironing boards and brand new hairdryers so that you look your best. Additionally our bedrooms are now packed with even more facilities including a comfy sofa (in family rooms) with a movable table, a wall-mounted TV, USB ports and power sockets next to your bed, nifty reading lights and full-width curtains which will make the rooms even cosier. The en suite shower rooms have also been spruced up with cool, fresh decor. We can't wait for your to experience our cool new look! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, IHG, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront Hotel Edinburgh
- Holiday Inn Express Leith
- Leith Holiday Inn Express
- Holiday Inn Edinburgh
- Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront Scotland