“Lovely Place”

Jurys Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #117 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 29, 2007

Myself and my boyfriend went to edinburgh paddy's weekend and stayed in Jurys Hotel. it was lovely and staff were very pleasant. rooms were lovely and we had a great view from our windows. the hotel is a great location and is always very quite. the only downfall is been a smoker you have to go outside to have a fag. all rooms are non smoking. but other than that id stay there again.

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank LaosLady
Barry_Rowland, General Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2007

Dear Trip Advisor,

Thank you for your great review. I have passed your comments on to the staff who were very pleased with the positive feedback. Feel free to contact me direct the next time you are traveling to Edinburgh, barry_rowland@jurysinns.com

Regards,

Barry

Write a ReviewReviews (4,194)

Reviewed July 10, 2007

I stayed at this hotel during a 15 day trip with CIE Tours. The hotel is in a spectacular location. We were right of the Royal Mile, or the main street in town. This hotel was in walking distance to all the sights, including Edinburgh Castle. It also had great views from the room windows. The rooms were very basic, but clean and neat. The hotel was a bit noisy due to a few drunk kids partying on the street and a bachelor party that was kicked out of the hotel. I think that was not the norm. Basically, you won't be disappointed if you want a decent hotel in the heart of town. The staff was friendly and the food was decent. I would stay there again for the great location.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank llama8
lennyh, General Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2007

Dear Tripadvisor,

Many thanks for your good review and I do hope you enjoyed your 15 day trip with CIE Tours.

My sincere apologies that you found things a bit noisy, but I am very glad that this did not spoil your overall stay.

Thanks again for the review and if I can be of any further assistance, please contact me on 0131 200 3300 or at lenny_hughes@jurysInns.com

kindest regards

Lenny

Reviewed July 7, 2007

We stayed here 3rd - 5th July 2007 as a 2-day break, 2 adults and 2 children. We decided to stay in Jurys partly because of the very central location and partly because of the great value room rate which does not penalise for having children staying in the room - most unusual for city hotels!

We arrived from Belfast very early in the morning and we were able to leave our luggage at the hotel, safely stored away in a designated room. Check in later was hassle-free and the room itself was very clean and warm. A minor gripe would be that the 'single bed' turned out to be a pull-out sofabed, and that the room was a little on the small side for 4 of us. For 2 people it would have been perfect.

Tea/coffee making facilities, plenty of clean towels/hot water etc. Staff were friendly and helpful.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel (a bit pricey), however we did eat in the restaurant on one of the evenings where the food was reasonably priced.

Location could not have been better - the hotel is a stone throw from Waverly Bridge and backs onto the Royal Mile.

Overall in terms of location, cleanliness and value I would thoroughly recommend it and would have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Tori69
lennyh, General Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2007

Dear Tripadvisor,

Thank you for the great review, which I have passed on to the team here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh.
I have also noted your comment on the sofa bed- and sorry for the minor disappointment there.

I am very pleased that overall you rated us so highly.

We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the near future.

kindest regards

Lenny

Reviewed July 4, 2007

The hotel is in a great location, close to the Royal Mile and Princess St. The rooms were clean and suited to our needs. However, the airlines lost our luggage. When we tried calling the airlines our phone did not work. The desk could not understand why. They placed the call for us but to no avail. All we asked for was 3 toothbrushes..They charged us 1 pound each !!! Then they said my credit card wasn't accepted. So I treid calling the number on the back of the card and again our phone didn't work. When I asked the desk to do it, she said she could not because the first 3 numbers were 302 and they never heard of such a calling number. She said try calling from an outside phone booth!!!! I did and I got through and straightened the problem out without their help. One morning, (8am) we were sleeping and I heard one knock and the door opened. It was the maid !! When I asked for directions one morning to a local spot, the attendant at the desk could'nt help me. I found it myself!! My family stayed at the Jury's Inn in Limerick and they were all great to us...this hotel should learn something from them

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
lennyh, General Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2007

Dear Tripadvisor,

Thank you for your positive comments about Jurys Inn Edinburgh but please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you experienced during your recent stay with us.

I am very disappointed that you found our staff unhelpful, but please be assured that I have passed on your comments to all of my team and we have taken action to try and ensure that none of our guests experience similar problems.

I would be most grateful if you contacted me directly if you would like to discuss any points of your stay in further detail.

Please contact me on 0131 200 3300 or at lenny_hughes@jurysInns.com.

yours sincerely

Lenny Hughes

Reviewed July 3, 2007

I am a great fan of basic, conveniently-located accommodations. When booking my travel, I thought the Jurys Inn would be a perfect travel solution. It could not be better positioned for quick access to the Royal Mile, Princes Street and Waverly station. But be warned -- instead of basic accommodations, you are more likely to find seriously substandard levels of cleanliness, apathetic staff and a decidedly non-family-friendly atmosphere. Housekeeping is practically non-existent. The sheets and towels are sometimes changed -- but often not until 4:30 p.m. if at all. The unresponsive front desk did not seem to care if our room had been made up or not. Because of the lack of housekeeping attention, our room was quite dirty on check-in. I had to clean a significant level of scum build-up from the bath fixtures. A prior occupant had helpfully left fingernail and/or toenail clippings on the rug in front of the nightstand that had not been cleaned by housekeeping. I thought housekeeping would take care of it the next day. They did not. Nor did they over the next five days. I finally had to clean it up myself. The hot water brewer in the room was a quarter full of scummy brown water and the heating element was flaking off pieces of some indeterminate substance into the reservoir -- not a healthy or appealing option for in-room tea brewing. As for the environment, be aware that Jurys appears to be the destination of choice for the hardcore party crowd -- probably because of its proximity to the Royal Mile. I don't mind some noise and frivolity. But here's what I do mind: (1) drunks who knock on my door at 4:00 a.m. because they can't remember their room number; (2) drunks who call my room several times at 4:30 a.m. looking for "Paul;" (3) drunks who use obscene language in the lobby and lifts in front of my young son; (4) the constant smell of stale beer and the sticky floors and furniture in the elevator lobby. If you are planning a trip to Scotland's fair city, be aware that Edinburgh has fantastic public transportation options. It is not necessary or even desirable to stay on the Royal Mile's doorstep -- particularly if you are traveling with children or like the idea of staying in a clean room that is regularly serviced. My advice is to scout out the many lovely B&Bs and small hotels throughout the city, buy a Lothian bus pass and enjoy all of Edinburgh. I'm afraid the Jurys Inn seems to rely on its convenient location to get away with substandard conditions.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank JBW614

Dear Tripadvisor,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the various problems you experienced during your recent stay at Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

I am very disappointed that you had such an experience and I would be most grateful if you contacted me directly to discuss these issues further.
Please be assured that we are taking action to ensure that the issues you experienced do not happen again.

Please contact me on 0131 200 3300 or at lenny_hughes@jurysInns.com.

yours sincerely

Lenny Hughes

Reviewed June 29, 2007

This hotel has a fantastic location, practically backing onto the royal mile.
The hotel staff were pleasent and informative. We asked for a front facing room to enjoy the view towards princcess street and beyond.
Rooms were clean and presentable. The room was also very quiet at night considering there is a train station close by.
We didn't bother eating at the hotel as there are plenty of restaurants and cafe's on the royal mile.
A recommended hotel for a break in this beautiful city.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank CityhopperCardiff
Reviewed June 27, 2007

The location of this hotel could not be better! We were less than a five minute walk from the Royal Mile, which is packed with historic sites and great pubs. Our room was comfortable and was very quiet at night. We had a leak in our room, but the management dealt with it immediately. I highly recommend if you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel in a premium location.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple