“Average hotel but in a prime location”

Jurys Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #116 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Jacksonville, Florida
“Average hotel but in a prime location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

There wasn't anything special about this hotel. The best part was the location. The view from the lobby was wonderful. From the rear of the hotel, you can climb the stairs and walk right out onto the Royal Mile. There is a Starbucks within walking distance which was great for those of us looking for free wi-fi which is an extra charge at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
DeputyGM_JurysInn, Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear wklima,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

It was great to read that you found our Hotel conveniently located for all your needs whilst in Edinburgh. We do have a great view of Edinburgh from the front of the Hotel, which some of our rooms also offer.

wklima, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Richard_Pearson@juyrsinns.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Staines, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Booked with rail tickets at another website. On arrival room only tariff so paid extra £9 each day for breakfast voucher in advance. (£10 on the day). Invited to clear room account in advance as most do ? Room card validated and didn't work. Second time lucky.
Room spartan but as I am not on bed rest how long do you spend in it? Very unhappy about tea point being face level bolted onto the wall. Boiling kettles etc! Accident waiting to happen. Open plan wardrobe no doors. Room big enough and sofa needs a small table with it. Views from three windows poor, a stairwell and ten ament backs. Waverley station roof the other side. Bed comfy though. Bathroom needs refreshing. Smoke detector outside door so notice says keep door closed. Extractor doesn't work so steam builds up, you can't breath and mould starts on ceiling and tile grouting. Three down lighters on mirror make room dark so you can't see the patches of mould already showing. Toilet seat affixed skew-whiff and it has an interesting flush in that it pleases itself while refilling!
Breakfast is buffet style and coffee etc is machine all self-service. Not worth £9 or even full £10. Better to go to a local cafe if which there are many.
Bar is tidy with all commonly available nitro-beers and bottles. Nothing local which is disappointing given that most have a bottled variety. It is a Costa too so fresh coffees available.
What is good here is the staff welcome and friendliness, even though of four I have spoken with only one was English.
Yes I would stay here again given its location and price (just shy of £50 pn) but that really should be B&B this time of year.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Alun B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your stay with us here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

We appreciate all types of feedback to allow us to continuously improve both our product and service. Following your detailed and constructive review it allow myself and the team to investigate each point raised. We do currently operate a robust preventive maintenance procedure that allows us to identify any issues that may occur and address them before our guests check-in, it is evident that this was not the case in this instant and I shall be investigating as to why.

I was however delighted to read that you found our staff welcoming and friendly as they pride themselves on the service they offer to our guests. I was also pleased to read that you also return to our Hotel.

Alun B, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Booked a triple room for a stay away with friends. The room was OK and clean but don't expect luxury! A little disappointing that we did not have three single beds as we had done so previously (and on calling reception they told us they did not have that formation which they did) and although not ideal, it wasn't a huge problem. Just make sure you request this if it is important to you. The location was good. Walked easily from the station with bags and is not far from Princes Street. My only other grumble would be that the hairdryer is plugged in through a drawer and the cord was pretty short and restricting. Other than that if you want somewhere cheap to stay for the night this wouldn't be a bad choice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear pumpkinmum,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

I was delighted to read that you found our Hotel conveniently located for your needs while in Edinburgh. Unfortunately, we only have a very limited number of rooms in the Hotel which have three single rooms and this doesn't show on the reservation when a guest is wanting this - this is something that we are looking into and hopefully shall be resolved soon. With regards to the hairdryer it is small comments like this that we can use constructively and resolve easily and so we shall look into this also.

pumpkinmum, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Very basic rooms, with limited facilities. My room was on the train station side of the hotel, which meant being woken by the guard's whistle in the morning.

Breakfast was of fair to poor quality.

The location is excellent for the city centre, Royal Mile, and Waverley Station.

But it's no more than 6/10.

Stayed January 2014
DeputyGM_JurysInn, Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear boombangabang,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay.

We appreciate all comments in order for us to continuously improve both our product and service. I was disappointed to read that firstly you were woken up by disturbance from outside the Hotel and secondly that you did not find our breakfast offering of good quality.

We understand that breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, especially for our guests preparing for a day of exploring Edinburgh and we pride ourselves on the product and usually receive excellent feedback as a result.

From this, I would appreciate it if you could contact me on the below email to provide me with a little more detail. I would also greatly appreciate it if you could also let me know your room number to allow our maintenance team to investigate the windows to ensure they are closing properly to prevent any external noise.

boombangabang, I do hope to hear from you soon and also welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.

Blackpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

My wife and I decided on a short break involving two days in Edinburgh, then two days in Glasgow, for which Jury's Inn was offering a special deal (bed, breakfast with dinner on the first night). We started in Edinburgh and, as might be expected, the weather was inclement but we mainly wanted to visit the National Museum of Scotland, which is a fantastic place, and also the museums of childhood and of Edinburgh City, both located on the Royal Mile. We had a really good time and spent hours in the museums and looking around Jenner's, the famous store on Prince's Street. The hotel was ideally located next to Waverley Station from where you could walk to all places of interest and we really appreciated the fact that there were fewer tourists so you could enjoy looking round. Only two small downsides to our trip - parking is expensive at £19 per 24 hours (although staying at Jury's gets 25% off at Waverley Station car park) and the Inn on the Mile where we ate the second night was disappointing.

Room Tip: We opted for a quiet room at the back of the hotel. No view over the city but we could see Arthur...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

There's a lot of noise (some kind of generator thrumming) from the railway station at night and the beds are very lumpy, so if you're a light sleeper, this will be a problem. I did call them in the middle of the first night and they moved me to a back-facing room and I was then able to sleep, though there was still noise. A colleague tells me they gave him a choice of a quieter room or one with a view when he checked in - they didn't make this offer to me, so do make the request yourself if they don't.
Otherwise, a good clean hotel, good breakfast and polite staff, not to mention an excellent location if you're travelling in to Edinburgh by train.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
DeputyGM_JurysInn, Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear bexcat,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

We appreciate all feedback in order for us to continuously improve both our product and service. Firstly, I was delighted to read that you found our staff polite and we offered a good breakfast; our Head Chef understands the importance of preparing our guests with a good hearty breakfast for the day ahead, whether it is for business or a day of exploring Edinburgh.

Finally, our guests good night sleep is paramount to us here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh and I was disappointed to read that you did not sleep well. We are currently in the process of changing our mattresses and I would greatly appreciate it if you could contact me on the email address below and let me know which room you stayed in - this will enable me to get this mattress changed urgently and to also check the window ceils to investigate the disturbance you experienced from outside the Hotel.

bexcat, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future. If you do find yourself in Edinburgh please do contact me and I would be more than happy to assist with any accommodation needs.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had a 3 night stay in November here which we got for good price, hotel is in a great location especially for the railway station, with the Royal Mile just behind.

The room itself was an OK size, with good views across the station towards Princes Street, however as the windows are so large, the room got a bit draughty and as the curtains covered the radiators below the window it was difficult to get the room warm at times. The only other issue was the towels provided in the bathroom were very rough and had a strong smell of vinegar which wasn’t pleasant.

Breakfast was the usual hot and cold buffet affair, but with a good variety of foods and a civilised atmosphere - bit less of a ‘scrum’ as can happen in some hotels. The staff were helpful in finding vacant tables and quick to clear tables away, in fact all staff we came across throughout or stay were polite and approachable.

Overall we were happy with the stay considering the price paid and would consider for future visits to the city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Soldiering_On,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at Jurys Inn Edinburgh.

It was great to read that you found our Hotel in a convenient location for your needs. Our team endeavour to provide a warm welcome and friendly service and it is wonderful to read when this has been reflected on our stay. I thank you for your comments regarding the windows and towels - I can assure you I shall be looking into this further to ensure that this is not a continuous problem in our Hotel.

Soldiering_On, I do hope we can welcome you back to Jurys Inn Edinburgh in the near future.