“Tatty”

Jurys Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #117 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I do not know what has happened to the Jurys Inn brand. It used to be a fine hotel group but in the last 2 weeks I have stayed in 2 Jurys hotels and have been disappointed with both.
Jurys Edinburgh is in a convenient position for all the sights and that is probably the problem, its to busy for maintenance. Our bathroom was like a throwback to the 70's. Taps that were difficult to use, sink and toilet which had seen better days, a cheap thin toilet seat that didn't fit, an excuse for a shower that dribbled out a pathetic stream of water. Cleaning wise you have to question things when you find a big safety pin laying in the bottom of the toilet, and a toilet roll which is just about to run out in the holder.
I cannot believe I have just paid £338.02 including a buffet breakfast for 2 nights in a hotel that is so far below the standards of a Premier Inn for instance.
The breakfast room/restaurant has tables and chairs which must be 30 years old and the bar is like a working mans club. Give this place a wide berth if travelling to Edinburgh, it needs a total refit.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rob S
David_Seed, Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you for leaving feedback for the hotel, we always appreciate guests taking the time to inform us of their stay, to either hear good comments or let us know areas to improve. I am dissappointed to hear that you were unhappy with the hotel, we strive to keep all of our rooms to a high standard so allow me to apologise if your room was not up to our usual standards and please contact me on the details below so I can address this. As a hotel chain we are always investing in our product having recently completed refurbishments in Leeds, Birmingham, Glasgow & Newcastle although I will pass on your comments.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if there is anything else I can help with.

Kind Regards
David Seed
Deputy General Manager
David_seed@jurysinns.com

Write a ReviewReviews (4,194)

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at that hotel. The staff were really friendly. The room was a standard room and we enjoyed the breakfast. No complaints at all! It is perfect for walking distance to pretty much everything. It is a 3 star hotel with a superb location. We would definitely stay here again as you can walk to everywhere so easily. The room was clean.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We booked this hotel based on reviews of former guests, the hotel itself was very nice and the staff very pleasent but the plumbing in the rooms were less then favorable. We had a lovely room with a great view, but the fact that we had to pump the toilet to flush and was not informed of this when we booked in. I had a shower that evening getting ready for a dinner reservation and when I went to turn off the water, the hot water would not turn off! we had to call the front desk and have them come up to turn it off. The young girl that came up had trouble turning it off but did manage, we were then moved to another room one floor up. This room the toilet had to be pumped about 15 times to get it to flush and water was going every where! then my husband had a shower and there was no water preasure for the hot! The hotel did give us complimentry wifi, and when we checked out the manager did offer us free lunch. I can't say I would reccomend or stay again especially when the Saturday night charge was 369 Pound and only 69 pound for the monday, had I paid the 369 for the Saturday I really would have been choked.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yeakail
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I chose the hotel as it had parking. I called to check. But when I arrived and told it was only for disabled people, even though there were many cars parked which were clearly not disabled. On last day I brought my car to the car park to load my bag. I was blocked in by a car which turned out to be an aggressive member of staff who refused to move his car until I had listened to his tirade about parking which is for staff only. Never experienced anything quite like that, so guess to avoid verbal abuse you keep away from their car park at all costs

Stayed: March 2013
Claire L, Manager at Jurys Inn Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you for leaving feedback for the hotel, we always appreciate guests taking the time to inform us of their stay, to either hear good comments or let us know areas to improve. I would like to apologise if you were spoken to in this was by a member of staff, this is not what I expect from anyone working here and I am disappointed that you were spoken to in this way and will be following this up with the team here. We always recommend using the Waverly station car park located in front of the hotel on new street as we offer a 25% discount here; we do have limited space at the hotel although this is usually just used for disabled guests. As an apology I would like to offer you a discount should you wish to stay again and I would like to pay for your parking at the Waverly station.

Please contact me if you would like me to arrange this or if there is anything else I can help with

Kind Regards
David Seed
Deputy General Manager
david_seed@jurysinns.com
On Behalf of Claire Livingston

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Perhaps not the fault of this hotel, but we arrived around 9pm and there was next to nothing open where food could be gotten. There weren't even any vending machines so we could get some much needed water. Not good after a long coach ride from Dublin.
Otherwise it was a good clean hotel. Great breakfast was served and included in our cost.
The location was great, even though we were situated at the bottom of the hills.
I would have given this a 5 STAR if there had been food and drink available.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel is a great location for downtown Edinburgh. We spent 2 nights here and really enjoyed the central location. A short walk through the alley and you are on the main drag with shopping and great pubs. The pubs just around the corner are the best.

Rooms over looking the train station have great views, we really enjoyed our view. The breakfast was nice also, not as large of selection as other Jury's but nice.

Room was clean and nice. Biggest complaint was the shower curtain, still have an old cloth curtain that sticks to your body as you shower. Very gross when you are taking a shower, other guests said they had glass doors which I would've preferred.

Free Wifi would've made this a 4, but would've been $10 for 24 hours.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the train station! There are a few corner rooms which are nice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed two nights with a large rail tour group. Hotel selected by the tour company and very convenient for Waverley rail station. Sited between the rail station and the Royal Mile but not directly adjacent to either, so reasonably quiet.

Intriguingly a public pedestrian walkway of way runs through the ground floor from front to rear, separating the Reception from the lifts & restaurant. The hotel building forms a "bridge" above this pedestrian access.

The reception staff were very efficient and helpful. Our groups bags had been sent in advance and already placed in allocated rooms. Having crossed the public walkway (sliding doors both sides),we found that we had to insert one of our room card "keys" into a slot by the lift call buttons before a lift could be summoned. This was very tempremental, and it took me several attempts before gaining entry to the lift. But a necessary security precaution. .

The room and ensuite were comfortably spacious. I use a CPAP machine to help me breathe at night, but there was not a 13 amp socket near the bed. A quick call to reception, and an extension lead was equally quickly brought to the room.

The shower was ;powerful and hot. The water on/off control was a little stiff to turn. No problem for me but perhaps a guest with eg arthritis might find it challenging. (room 406)

We opted for a bar meal the first evening, although the bar was very crowded and noisy from two large screen tv's in the room. The adjoining restaurant had a much quieter ambience, and the staff were very willing to let us eat a a bar menu order in there. Full marks to them. I did notice a high pitched and almost continuous whistling in the restaurant,,which may have been wind,or electrical equipment in the kitchen. It seemed to increase in volume when any door was opened between the kitchen and restaurant dining area.

Not apparent whether either the phone or TV offered a "SELF SERVICE" wake up call facility.

I avoided the £5/hour or £10 per day internet access fee by using my own 3g dongle. Free wifi is becoming more commonplace and I hope that this modest size hotel group can move in that direction.

We had not prebooked breakfast but enquired at Reception whether we could still arrange this. They helpfully advised that we could still buy a £9 prebooked voucher after arriving, as opposed to a £10 "walk up" payment on the morning. There was an excellent choice of breakfast items.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple