“Excellent location for short breaks in Edinburgh.”

Jurys Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #114 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Hotel staff friendly and willing to help. Bathrooms a bit tired looking. Room basic but for a short weekend ok. Breakfast was ok, enough to choose from. Evening meal in restaurant was a let down. Wifi not available, Internet access £5 per hour or £10 for 24 hrs! Positive: location and pillows!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank essexlady1
There are newer reviews for Jurys Inn Edinburgh

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Jury's Inn is the epitome of a corporate chain hotel, though before you think this review will be a hatchet job, that is not necessarily a bad thing. I have stayed in other hotels in the chain and while they are not the last word in character or luxury, they usually represent decent standards and reasonable value for money. So it proved with the Edinburgh hotel.

I travelled there as part of a large group and the reception staff already had the rooms allocated and keys ready which made check-in a painless experience. The lobby is separated from the rest of a hotel by an alley that leads to the Royal Mile which seemed a bit strange but there were adequate security measures in place. The room was simply decorated in a modern style but was not hard on the eye and was quite large, though storage space for clothes - open shelves - was a bit on the short side. The bathroom was adequate but the shower cubicle was a bit close to the toilet - anyone over average height has to sit at an angle to avoid pressing against the cubicle and our room had the cistern from hell that started off like a bull elephant and then an airplane engine for about five minutes after flushing. This was not a huge problem during the day but out of considerate for other guests I did not flush the toilet during the night. I did not report the problem as it would be a major piece of work and I would be amazed if no else had done so before. This was unique to our room. None of our fellow travellers made any complaints about the plumbing. The shower head was high enough not to have to duck.

I ate in the restaurant both nights of my stay. The food was average - Salade Nicoise should never have canned tuna!!! but there are plenty of restaurants nearby. The breakfast was an all self-service affair, which I didn't mind - there was a restricted but adequate choice and a quick turnover so the cooked items were fresh.

Overall, Jury's Inn is not very good hotel but it is not a bad one either. There were no major flaws that would have me storming the reception counter and it is fine for a short city break. It's location - just a few feet from the Royal Mile is excellent and the beds were very comfortable. My main complaint is the bar prices which I thought were a bit steep; £6 seems to much for a glass of wine but I could not compare them with other hotels in the locality - perhaps the management may wish to comment on that, but again there are plenty of bars nearby as alternatives.

If you want character and luxury go elsewhere but if you are on a budget and want a hotel with a good central location at reasonable cost Jury's Inn might be for you. Finally, yes, I would stay there again.

1  Thank SamThompson
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Hotel is easily walkable from Waverley Station. Room was basic and felt a little tired. Asked for a room on top floor at back of hotel but got a front facing room. Although on the top floor you could still hear rail and street noise. Bathroom had a bath with shower over with one of those horrible shower curtains that clings to you, yuck!! Didn't try breakfast as it was £10!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Jibbsy1
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Location optimal from any train if you can find the shortist way (construction work at Wavely station made us to walk 9 minits instead of 4 ). Building is from 70's ? but uppgraded to modern functionality. Djuring the heavy snow / winter storm Windows / ventilation system did give "a good blast". Next day less windy and the room was more than ok. Mainly because the heating works. Also service seems to bee 24 hours.
According to the hotel's own feedback form they like to belong to the group " next from the budget hotels", which is quite ok.
On planing time we compared this hotel against the "Easy hotel concept at Edinburg". After the visit we think that the few extra pounds spent here was a vise choice.

Room Tip: Look also the hotels own booking - for us it turned out the cheapest, simple and gave opportunity se...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank travellsometimes
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having spent two nights in this hotel I am pretty sure that I will not go back.
I do not feel that I got value for the money I spent to stay there.

The lobby was cold and dark with little to no atmosphere.

The bedroom, although large enough was cold and a throw back to times gone by, with a bathroom that could easily do with some alterations. The sink had a great big crack and the tiles on the bath had some make shift grouting which obviously was added in pieces over time.

The bar area was old and tired looking.

With all that being said I will give the staff a great big 9/10 as they were the only thing that made my visit to this hotel pleasing.

Room Tip: Do not know how to in this hotel
2  Thank jolychas
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed in a Jurys Inn hotel, I chose this location as I was visiting Edinburgh University with my daughter. We were a short taxi ride from Waverley Station we could have walked but had too much luggage. We were greeted by a friendly and efficient receptionist who let us in our room earlier than stated on the checking in time which was greatly appreciated.

The room spacious and clean with a double and single bed and well equipped, we were close to shops, bars and restaurants which was ideal for us.

We booked a taxi to the University the next morning which took around 25 minutes due mostly to the time of day and the amount of traffic.

Our room was very good value, the staff were great and good location would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Samanda D
Reviewed March 13, 2013

A few minutes walk from Waverly Station, the reception area was dark with no atmosphere at all, booking in was straightforward. Rooms were fairly basic for the price we paid, quite dark and cold, the windows gave a good blast of cold air, I don't think they were fitted properly, this was the same in the bar area, if you sat next to any windows you certainly felt the chill breeze. The showers were ok if you didn't mind the plastic curtain wrapping itself around you, no little niceties like shower caps, makeup remover pads, all soaps and shampoos were in bottles attached to the wall, I expected a few customer friendly touches in the bedroom/bathroom. We could hear the trains and traffic from our room on floor 2.There were two lifts, one broke down the day we arrived, this caused queues and long waits, it was still not repaired after 4 days stay. Breakfast had the usual selection of hot & cold foods, the waitresses were very efficient, so no dirty tables left unattended. The bar staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient, bar food was pretty good for the price. If you wanted to take advantage of the Jury's points system, you had to put all spend in the hotel on your room, not ideal to end up with a big bill at the end of your stay, if you're going to issue Jury cards, they should be able to swipe them at the tills at the time of purchase. I'm not sure I would stay in another Jury's, I really didn't feel I had value for money.

Room Tip: I didn't see any information about swimming pool or fitness centre.
1  Thank GreyNomadBerks