“Not my kind of place”
Review of Castle Rock Hostel

Castle Rock Hostel
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Definite low point of my trip to Scotland... I'm having some trouble understanding all of the high reviews and the "best in Scotland" labeling. This was the *worst* hostel I stayed in while visiting Scotland, by far. It is even the worst hostel I've stayed at in my life (although I've never had a "bad" hostel experience up until this one).

Still has it's ups and downs...

PROS:
(1) HUGE public space.
(2) Plenty of space for storage.
(3) Friendly front desk staff (although not ultimately helpful at times).
(4) Relatively inexpensive.
(5) Good location.

CONS:
(1) My 12 bunk room changed over nearly every night (due to tours), makes it difficult as a solo traveler.
(2) A few personal belongings "disappeared" with the one bed change that occurred after my first night (papers, ~20 quid headlamp hidden in pillowcase, earplugs).
(3) Their direct booking site is garbage, sent me two emails, one stating I paid 13 pounds and the other 58 pounds. In the end, I paid 103 pounds for a 58 pound-priced 4 night stay (although this will likely get sorted out now that I've caught it).
(4) Rats/mice run around the common space when it gets empty at night (saw two).
(5) Management doesn't do anything about unruly guests at night. (A couple alternating eating in the bunk and screwing at 2am woke at least a half dozen of us up. We were pissed, told them so, they continued regardless, a few of us complained to the front desk, who did *nothing*. I ended up giving up on sleeping that night.)
(6) WiFi bandwidth is limited during the day, and long term guests sometimes use apps like WiFiKill to keep people they don't know from using it.
(7) Dish drying towels are disgustingly filthy (would be a health code violation in my home city).

OVERALL: This place had the worst vibe of *any* place I've ever stayed at. Still might work for people traveling in large groups, or people who plan to stay for an extended length.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jason T
Neal B, Manager at Castle Rock Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are saddened that our hostel did not give you the good experience we hope to give all of our guests. Each issue you have raised will be investigated (your payment issue has since been sorted out). Best wishes for the rest of your travels.

There are newer reviews for Castle Rock Hostel

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here and had a horrible night. The rooms were cold the beds rock hard, the bathrooms not clean. I like hostels that you can meet some people and have a rest there at night. All night the building felt like it was shaking as other hostellers were partying in the building, sirens were going on outside the hostel all night. People were crashing in noisily until 6 am in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Rachel8can

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We try to help all of our guests have a great stay, so we are very sad to hear that you did not have a good experience at Castle Rock. We wish you well for the rest of your travels.

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

would recommend this hostel to anyone looking for a nice, budget accomodation right in the center of Edinburgh. Staff was friendly and helpful and the hostel had a great atmosphere. Rooms were clean and the beds even had funny names

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank xoxoUSA
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Pros: This is a great hostel!! The staff is friendly and always willing to help. There's cool deco all over the hostel. The rooms are very large and the beds are made out of solid wood and are very comfortable they are not the usual squeaky metal frames. Everyone has a free locker space under their beds and assigned bedding. I believe this place is well organized and well suited for one night stops as well as longer stays. It's in a safe neighborhood and great location. I would stay there again.

Cons: wifi does not work in every room (a very common problem amongst hostels) however it works great it common areas like the lounge.
Bring flip flops for the shower (not atrocious by any means just precautionary)

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kaylarose1001
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This hostel had a great location (so close to the castle!) and big common areas. The kitchen was also very big and included ovens.

There were a lot of people having very long stays (I met a guy staying for 3 months while he was working in Edinburgh) which changed the atmosphere a bit because they all knew each other.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Olivia G
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here for one night to see the city of Edinburgh. The hostel is about 5-10 mins walk from the train station and is situated right next to the castle! Rooms are big, plenty of locker space. Free coffee and tea in the social space was cool, nice and cheap breakfast in the morning. Nice chilled out hostel with good facilities.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Max_Henchliffe
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The Castle Rock Hostel was very pleasant, friendly staff and clean washing facilities. We did not take a look at the common room or the kitchen, there simply wasn't time for it. Our room was sufficient, there was nothing to complain about, it was a 4-Bed shared dorm. Also very convenient was the location of the hostel: situated in the Old Town and directly next to the stairs leading up to the Castle.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple