Definite low point of my trip to Scotland... I'm having some trouble understanding all of the high reviews and the "best in Scotland" labeling. This was the *worst* hostel I stayed in while visiting Scotland, by far. It is even the worst hostel I've stayed at in my life (although I've never had a "bad" hostel experience up until this one).
Still has it's ups and downs...
(1) HUGE public space.
(2) Plenty of space for storage.
(3) Friendly front desk staff (although not ultimately helpful at times).
(4) Relatively inexpensive.
(5) Good location.
(1) My 12 bunk room changed over nearly every night (due to tours), makes it difficult as a solo traveler.
(2) A few personal belongings "disappeared" with the one bed change that occurred after my first night (papers, ~20 quid headlamp hidden in pillowcase, earplugs).
(3) Their direct booking site is garbage, sent me two emails, one stating I paid 13 pounds and the other 58 pounds. In the end, I paid 103 pounds for a 58 pound-priced 4 night stay (although this will likely get sorted out now that I've caught it).
(4) Rats/mice run around the common space when it gets empty at night (saw two).
(5) Management doesn't do anything about unruly guests at night. (A couple alternating eating in the bunk and screwing at 2am woke at least a half dozen of us up. We were pissed, told them so, they continued regardless, a few of us complained to the front desk, who did *nothing*. I ended up giving up on sleeping that night.)
(6) WiFi bandwidth is limited during the day, and long term guests sometimes use apps like WiFiKill to keep people they don't know from using it.
(7) Dish drying towels are disgustingly filthy (would be a health code violation in my home city).
OVERALL: This place had the worst vibe of *any* place I've ever stayed at. Still might work for people traveling in large groups, or people who plan to stay for an extended length.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, HostelWorld, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Castle Rock Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Rock Hotel Edinburgh
- Castle Rock Hostel Edinburgh, Scotland