“Good spot for drinking weekend”
Review of Castle Rock Hostel

Castle Rock Hostel
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I visited this hostel earlier this year and found it quite adequate at a reasonable price. The location is excellent being right beside the castle (hence the name I suppose) and also close to the Grass Market. Our dorm was functional but clean. We didn't utilise many of the other facilities that this hostel provided but I would recommend solely based on location and value alone.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in January and had a fantastic time. I was in a 12 or 14 bed dorm that had very sturdy, silent beds with big pillows and clean sheets. You could see the castle from the room window which was great. Lockers were provided so I felt comfortable leaving my valuables behind while I explored the city. Bathrooms and showers always looked clean no matter what time of day I used them. I loved how much lounge space there was and that there were so many options to choose from if you whether you wanted to be very social (in the room where laptops are forbidden) or get some reading/ work done (in the library or upper lounge balcony). Some of the hallways were a tad confusing but I thought it was fun to see all the unique names of the rooms. It also had really fun decor in the main stairway. All the staff I encountered were friendly and fun. I would HIGHLY recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed here recently with a group friends. Highly recommend this cool place. Loved the fact that each room had a different name or theme. Thought this was a very creative idea. Had never seen this anywhere before so found it a breath of fresh air! The wifi is very fast, the staff are pretty cool and so welcoming and the hostel is so clean. Pricey for me, but worth it! Cannot wait to stay again. Good vibe too in this hostel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here with a bunch of friends. 4 of us shared one of the private rooms with shared bathroom. Shower was decent, hostel was decently clean. There was no airconditioning in the room, but it wasn't too hot. I think if it was really warm it would be bad, but very rarely is it warm in Edinburgh anyway. The beds were average, nothing great but nothing bad. This hotel is all about location. It is literately only a few minutes walk from the castle. You are bang smack in the centre of the city, although just off the high street, so no late night noise or boozers. Even though the hostel feels huge, I never felt like it was crammed and many people were around.

Overall, I would recommend this for a short trip to Edinburgh on a budget

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I loved the decoration, sort of Medieval. Each bedroom had a name as well, and ours was Robin Wood and Maid Marion. Loved it! The location is superb: just beside Edinburgh castle, near the city centre/old town, with some restaurants and cafes around. Bedrooms are quite small, but clean.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

That's my second favourite hostel ever!
- I went to Edinburgh for the fringe and the prices wee higher then normal but still a good price
- I stayed in a 12 bed female dorm and it was nice. My bed was clean and I slept we'll there. The is one locker for each bed and they are big enough for a backpacker bag. U dot need to bring your own pad locker. The blankets are thick enough for the weather and they have real sized pillows not those very tiny pillows that hostels usually use.
- the bathroom is for mutual ( male and female together) and there are a bathroom per floor. There are about six or seven cabins with a toilet and 4 cabins with a very good shower. I think they are cleaned twice a day, and one is in the morning for sure because when I went there around 7am the place was really clean but the other day I went later it was a bit wet-dirty like already, I don't blame the hostel for that, I mean we use the bathroom so we get it dirty, if some people doesn't know how to flush the toilet or how to shower without wet the whole place is not the hostel fault as they have lots of things to mind along the day. The showe cabin is small so you might get the button of your jeans wet while wearing it. The cortina need to be washed sometimes haha.
- there is a female only bathroom but I much rather the mutual one believe or not, for clearness reasons.
- the breakfast is €1,50 and u can eat 1 bread ( lots of jam, butter, Nutella and peanut butter to choose ), I glass of juice/coffe and one bowl of cereal. I really liked the breakfast but in most of the other hostels the same breakfast is included in the price.
- I just saw the common areas because I stayed all time out. But seemed cool :) there is one room when laptops are prohibited so you might make friends ! :D
- stuff is great! Helpful and cool! They even helped to go upstairs in the early morning after enjoy the festival.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I landed here 'cause I wanted to do a trip thru Scotland. I was waaaaay over the average age but no worries, it was a great place to bunk down for the night. I was in a shared room, shared bathroom and ignored the general YH activities. I'm pretty easy going, so it's easy for me not be bothered by much. I would NOT recommend this if you were looking for quiet or easy access to power outlets. But for a cheap and clean stay in a perfect location (especially if you're visiting for the Fringe Festival), this place can't be beat.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo