“Not the best...”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was attracted here by the cool retro noodle boxes and the decent reviews on tripadvisor. Being a vegetarian, I was quite skeptical when I saw the cooking preparation here. I asked whether they use separate cooking apparatus for veggies, and despite a positive response, I feel dubious. The food and sauces didn't feel particularly fresh, the interior was quite dirty, and the staff ignored me when I asked for anything after having ordered the meal.

The taste of the noodles isn't bad, though it isn't amazing either. There is far too much sauce and far too little fresh ingredients. I went to soba bar last week and got a really good serving of fresh noodles, which was admittedly smaller, but far more satisfying in terms of taste.

If you want a lot of food for a good price, this is the place to come. If not, I advise you to go elsewhere.

1  Thank abscondita

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This is an absolute gem of a place, noodle box for £5, choice of noodles, meat, 3 veg and a sauce. Presented in a nice box. Found this place when I came out the Pear Tree Pub across the road, so cheap and awesome. Not heard a bad word said about the place.

Wee bit cold in the place if its winter but that doesn't take anything away from it.

If you get the chance, get involved

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I recently visited Redbox Noodle Bar for the first time on a whim; I am trying to plan in now when I get to go back as I was absolutely bowled over by the place!

I had no idea what to expect at all and when I got there I thought the idea was fantastic! You are invited to sample a wonderfully simple menu and 'create your own' dish. First, you pick your favourite of around six different types of noodle, then you pick your meat, you then choose three vegetables and the choose which of the lovely selection of sauces you would like your ingredients to be prepared in. You can add extras too; I added a little more garlic for example. Your bowl then sits in a queue waiting to be cooked by the chef. Meanwhile, you can add one of their preprepared starters to your order and also a drink (which you have to pour yourself). All in all, my main meal concotion, additional dim sums and a Coke cost me about £9.

When my order arrived it came in a novel 'takeaway box' which was absolutely packed full of noodles! Everything tasted so authentic and I have to say, more established Asian restaurants haven't been able to deliver chicken so tender and tasty. Redbox encourage it's customers to use chopsticks, which is always fun however for those who become frustrated, you can grab yourself a fork.

This is a brilliant 'fast food' take on fresh and authentic cooking for a fabulous price. The restaurant isn't pristine however certainly reflects Edinburgh's city culture in being well used! The place was busy the entire time I was there and seems to be the place where those who aoppreciate Chinese cooking most would go.

I cannot wait to return and I would highly recommend it. Well done Redbox; I'm converted!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Although this place could do with some tender love and care in regards to furnishings - it is undoubtebly the best noodle bar in Edinburgh. I am addicted! I get a takeaway 3 or 4 times a month if not more (which is saying alot as i'm a poor student). Cannot recommend it enough - the food is so tasty, the staff are always busy but patient and polite, service is very fast - even at busy times.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I love that you are able to make your own noodle dish....pick your noodle (they describe the different types which is nice), veggies, meat, and sauce (they don't describe these which is not so nice). Mine came to around 5 pounds. You eat it out of a to-go carton so perfect for takeaway. We grabbed the last table in the bar. They do well with students, but its really a grab and go place.