“Incredibly bad service”
Review of The Dome

The Dome
Ranked #3 of 211 Nightlife in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: This large domed structure was once a bank and now houses a classy bar with live jazz on Sundays.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Incredibly bad service”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have eaten and drunk on three continents and this was the worst service I have ever seen. Took an hour to get a round of drinks. The choice of drinks was poor and the various servers we interacted with were downright rude (one was swearing under her breath, for example) and could barely speak English. The food menu was poor and expensive; we decided against getting something to eat as we thought the time and money it would have taken would have been better spent otherwise. We only went in because they allow children but I don't think we will be back.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Guinnog

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeenshire
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 236 helpful votes
“STUNNING PLACE, WITH GREAT FOOD, AND SUPERB SERVICE”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Last year I missed going on a day trip with 10 ladies, and having afternoon tea at The Dome, as my Dad passed away on the day of the trip.

Fast forward 9 months, and while on a trip to Edinburgh to celebrate my husband and I being together 40 years, we chose The Dome for one of two special celebration meals.

The building, once a bank, is very imposing from outside and the interior is just so special – everything is stunning from the columns, balusters, stained-glass windows, striking mosaic floors to the amazing domed ceiling. The palm trees, the chandelier lights, the candles and the dress of the waiters and waitresses....all seems like a step back in time to the Paris of the 1920s/1930s.

We were greeted with a warm welcome in what was a busy place for a Sunday evening – lots of people sitting around the circular central bar, and more at tables, where cocktails seemed to be the order of the day for those just availing themselves of a drink. Diners were a real mix of families, couples – young and old - a group of five nicely dressed-up ladies and 5 business guys. People were smartly dressed, but casual.

Our table booked for 8pm in The Grill Room section, was positioned in a lovely corner of the upper area of the crescent shaped dining area, and I had a super view over the bar area, and my husband was viewing the fellow diners more from his seat.

A very friendly Cockney girl served us mainly, and she was haring around at high speed serving everyone in a really appealing cheerful manner, and a smile rarely left her face – she relished her work, I‘m guessing.

We settled with a G&T and a fresh orange juice while we perused the menu, and then had the offer of no less than 4 different types of bread from a huge service basket slung on her hip.
We chose a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon at £24 and that was a very pleasant wine, along with a jug of tap water.

To start with I chose the Haggis in Filo Pastry with a Whisky, Mustard and Cream Sauce at £7.50 and my husband choseTraditional Smoked Salmon served with Capers, Egg and Red Onion at £9.50. We both loved the dishes, and they were generous portions.

I rarely give Salmon a miss, if that is on a menu, so the description of Honey and Sesame Salmon Fillet served on Wok Fried Greens with a Sweet Chilli and Lime Dressing at £18.50 was a certain choice for me. What wonderful combinations of flavours, and this was the best of two salmon dishes I had in Edinburgh.

My husband meanwhile loves a great steak, so he chose 8oz Fillet of Buccleuch Scottish Beef served with Grain Mustard Mash, Broccoli Florets and a Red Wine Jus. It was a hefty £29.50, but deemed well worth it indeed. He’s not a huge fan of mash, but coped well with the grain mustard potato.

Desserts at The Dome come in at an average of £7, which is becoming the norm in such places. I cannot resist a Creme Brulee and chose the Pineapple and Coconut Crème Brûlée served with a Spiced Pineapple Compote at £7 and my husband – a real raspberry loved selected Raspberry and Lemon Cream with crushed Shortbread and Meringue at £7.50.

Sadly having had a superb meal up until that point, I was disappointed in the brulee. It seemed like someone had taken the favoured blow torch to the top, but had forgotten to put on the sugar first. It also wasn’t as sweet as it should have been – they couldn’t have run out of sugar in the kitchen, could they? The other dessert was devoured and pronounced very good.

A Double Espresso and an Earl Grey tea rounded our meal off well, as we sat on taking in the terrific atmosphere. Our bill with tip came to £125, so not cheap at all, but well worth it for this special occasion.

I was so delighted to see this special place, could not fault the food, apart from the brulee, and the service was very special indeed – from all those who served us, but especially from our super Cockney lady, and she did even utter the word ‘Blimey’, which was lovely. What a small world it is too, as it turned out her Mum and she had both worked for a friend of ours in their business in a really remote area of Scotland!

I would certainly visit again, and next time we’re in Scotland’s capital The Dome will be on my list for Afternoon Tea....and perhaps a cocktail or two.

1 Thank Larsonsmummy
London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We walked in with my friend a on a Saturday night without reservation and the staff managed to arrange a table for us.
The place is really nice, elegant but not too pretentious. Food quality more than acceptable and decent wine list and its not more pricey than many other touristic places in the city centre.

Cheshire
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Less Expensive Than You'd Expect”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Beautiful building. The dome makes it feel very light and airy inside. There's quite a large bar area, the elevated dining area is the smaller of the two "halves" of the room.

Service was first class, attentive, forward-thinking (the waiter warned us our caesars salad contained anchovies unless otherwise requested), the menu (we chose from 5 or 6 starters/mains/puds) consisted of many things I'd like to have tried. I followed the delicious salad with an equally excellent chicken stuffed with haggis.

And oh God I truly wanted the vanilla cheesecake but at seven quid I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Angus, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Great dining experience and the building is really worth a visit”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Had an after show meal . Booking definitely advised. We had a party of 5 with only two people having 2 courses everyone else having just a main course. The menu not very extensive but great quality. Average main course £16/18. Service was first class and could not be better. Wine very expensive the cheapest bottle about £24.