“Perfect location, great value, excellent customer service.”

Edinburgh Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #67 of 215 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Suffern, New York
“Perfect location, great value, excellent customer service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

For travelers on a budget looking to get the best out of the Royal Mile and the heart of Edinburgh, stay here! After an awful hostel experience in London, my boyfriend and I were a little wary of staying here, especially since it is so cheap and had mixed reviews. Within the first ten minutes, we were blown away by the amazing customer service.
Merrick gave us sincere advice and honest information about the hostel, the area, and what sights were worth it and when. We wouldn't have gotten the best out of our experience and our buck if it wasn't for him and the other employees.
The cleanliness isn't the best, but Edinburgh's climate is naturally awful, so forgiveness should be given here. We had a private room on the top floor across the street and it was very quiet (2 rooms and 2 showers, 1 toilet). It was worth the extra £10 for a private room in the middle of a busy, tourist city.
There was a full kitchen on the 2nd floor with complementary utensils, pots, plates, etc. and the other guests were very clean and respectful. There was an oven but no microwave.
The hostel definitely has a punk rock theme going on, it's very relaxed and inviting and the people involved, whether they be employees or guests, are very open and sincere. It has a local, youthful vibe that was a breath of fresh air.
We enjoyed every night we stayed here and will book this place on our next visit to Edinburgh!

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Although this is a rather cheap hostel, in three days I only had the chance to have a hot shower once - when I complained about it in the reception I was told that if I wanted to have a hot shower I had to choose another time...The male showers was dirty and very small and there were only three toilets available. The kitchen was disgusting. I stayed in a 8 people room where there was only one socket available and no extra extensions.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank duartemps

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Jersey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

I don't know where to start the description of my experience in this hostel but will do my best to make a point:
1. I arrive at the hostel and I am told that since I was the last booking of the week, I had to change rooms every night
2. There is no way of climbing on the upper bed other than stepping in the other person's bed (who at the time might be sleeping)
3. The arms of the upper bed were broken
4. The lockers smelled like hell and I puked as soon as I opened the one that I was allocated
5. Its soooooooo dirty and soooo old
6. The windows were open day and night
7. The carpets were sticky
8. The rooms were so messy that u had to watch your every step until u got to your bed
9. There is only a central lamp and if a person needs the light, everyone else will be up
10. There are only 3 female bathrooms
11. There are no doors for the showers (only curtains)
12. The bins were emptied very rarely
13. Everything smelled very bad
14. I was stolen my towel and shampoo
15. Location is very good but with the size of the city, every location will be good
This place needs a proper restoration and improvement of living conditions, even pigs nowadays live better.
The hotel was administered by teenagers who repeatedly said that things did not depend on them.
Worse experience ever and no value for money.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Krakow, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

- location is perfect, it couldn't be any better
- good prices
- from what I read, the opinions vary very much depending on the room, I've stayed in a 14-bed mixed dorm, and was pretty fond of it. The room is on the first or second floor (don't remember exactly), so no running up and down the stairs, kitchen and bathroom are in proximity. The room is spacious, bright, with big windows overlooking the cockburn street. You get a free locker to keep your stuff in,there are many sockets to charge your mobile or camera. The beds were modern and comfortable, with warm, clean and fresh - smelling bedding, It surprised me, but the nights were quiet and I slept well (and I sleep lightly and can't stand noise)
- bathrooms are generally ok, with enough shovers, and watshbasins and are quite clean, although some people may be bothered by a thin curtains that don't provide perfect privacy.
- kitchen equipment is not the most complex I've seen, but can suffice. In my opinion, the kitchen is too small, with not enough space for food, I had to squeeze my stuff in the fridge.
It has no tables or chairs, so you have to take youe meal to the common room.
- common rooms: the games room and "dining room" with TV, didn't use it much, only for eating the meals, but it's ok i think.
- overall cleaness: the building itself is old, so some scratches or stains on the walls or floors can be seen here and there, however nothing really repulsive, and I'm sensitive to such things.
- staff is friendly and helpful

For me, the most important factors are localisation, price and cleaness. The hostel offers good value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

The bathrooms were incredibly dirty. The kitchen is tiny and most cupboards are for 'staff only.' A lot of people staying are work for accommodation people who are often rude and unfriendly. The wifi worked and beds were ok. They give free earplugs because it's very noisy outside. Overall, other hostels seem to offer a lot more for not much more in price.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed in this hostel for a weekend, which was great! The location is perfect, you can walk everywhere (also back to the hostel from the pubs etc). The rooms were clean, as well as the bathroom. The staff is friendly and the breakfast deal with Southern Cross cafe is good. Wifi for free.
The only thing is that the hostel (beds, bathroom etc) is quite old. But on the other hand, for this price you can't expect anything fancier!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

It's affordable, super clean and the staff are as friendly as can be. Edinburgh Backpackers Hostel is located in the heart of Scotland's capital, literally around the corner from the train station making it a perfect location for on foot backpackers. The picturesque setting has great views of surround parks and is just minutes' walk from all the best attractions in Edinburgh and a stones throw from the Royal Mile. This is the ideal hostel for all young travellers.

• Stayed February 2014