“Over priced”

The Bonham
Ranked #53 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Over priced”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and stayed at the hotel for 2 nights on the best of the bonham deal advertised on website. Thought it was a great deal and it was for a relaxed treat weekend. When I first contacted the hotel the reservation staff were very helpful and I was impressed. We arrived and all seemed ok except they couldn't see that I booked 2 nights, we were early to hotel so knew our room wasn't ready yet, we then went out for some lunch and returned to find our bags in our rooms which was fantastic.

The room was very basic no better than a premier inn standard. We were disappointed but they are spotless and housekeeping are great.

Our deal included dinner which was by far the best part! The restaurant staff are FABULOUS! The head waiter Thomas was super he recommended wines that complimented our food, was attentive, knowledgable and showed outstanding customer care. He is an assets to the hotel.

Food was some of the best I have ever had in any restaurant
in Scotland, the chef is
fantastic! This really made our stay along with our yummy breakfast which we had in bed.

Front of house staff don't seem to know what's going on! As much as they are nice they don't know if you've paid or how or how much. This really annoyed me they can come across rude and first impressions count!

Having frequented there sister hotel Blythswood Square Hotel many times I would say the staff at The Bonham could take tips from them in 5* service.

Overall very good
Would and intend to come back to The Bonham for the restaurant and maybe to stay as my husband loved it!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Rachel M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Czech first
Scotland
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Stayed in a double, standard room. Bed lovely and comfortable but the chairs were in serious need of upholstering. Rooms immaculately clean and room service staff attentive and hard working. Prices for the mini-bar were outrageous. Plenty shops nearby so I would advise bringing in your own snacks, water, juice etc rather than paying over the odds. We were only there 2 nights and ate from the hotel restaurant. Again, excellent staff but prices could not be justified. Being vegetarian, there was only one main dish that i could eat. They did make me up a very basic salad the following night after i asked if there was any alternative, but i felt it was definitely not value for money. Lift was not working when we were there which meant a hike to the 3rd floor and would have been impossible for the elderly or disabled. On balance, i wouldn't stay there again. I have given it 3 stars. Good hard working staff, but overpriced.

Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I'll start with the positives:
- The staff are lovely (I received particularly friendly and professional service from a blonde receptionist, who was so friendly on check in and check out)
- The breakfast was nice
- The room is lovely and big
- The décor is traditional, warm and very Scottish
- The beds are very comfortable

Some things I feel need attention to justify the price and the 4 stars:
- Lack of teabags in room - the only ones which were available were cheap and there were only 2! I've stayed in 2 stars which offer a range of herbal teas in the room
- Lack of toiletries - again, even a 2 star Ibis I've been in has had nice toiletries!
- Restaurant (see other review) - too much attention to the appearance of food and not the taste. Yes the Pumpkin and Amaretto soup looked good but it tasted very strange! The price of the food is quite extortionate. I would not mind paying this if I felt the food was worth it, but for a fatty piece of meat (steak) and a small piece of Cod and 2 weird soups I don't think £50 can be justified.

If I stayed here again I would definitely give the restaurant a miss. The friendly staff and comfortable rooms are enough to make me go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the gardens
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed 3 nights friday to saturday. For the price its not really worth it, didn't have much wow to it and could have paid quite a bit cheaper for same kind of hotel experience. Bedroom was spacious and bed was very comfy although general look of room average and basic (expected more for the price £130/night). Staff generally nice and welcoming, although the same cannot be said for the breakfast staff, the service wasn't attentive as was seen on other tables and breakfast was very basic and inconsistent, one day it would be hot and the next cold but burnt? Last morning rudely awoken by the cleaners hoovering outside at about 8:30. Location is good but for the price you can get a better hotel. Seems a little hit or miss.

• Stayed February 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Just had 3 nights in a petit room, extremely comfortable and excellent food, breakfast and dinner. Hotel was in an excellent position for getting into Edinburgh on foot. Room had very little draw space, just 1 small one. Very poor reception on TV unless you left wardrobe door/closet open to reflect signal at all times. Reception told after first day but was told they would look into it.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed February 16, 2014

There's no doubting The Bonham is a beautiful boutique hotel. The decor & Georgian architecture is elegant, tasteful & luxurious.
Used an ITISON voucher for a 2 course lunch. Limited menu, but high quality food. Our starter of pumpkin & amaretto soup was absolutely divine. Silky smooth & full of flavour, scattered with pumpkin seeds. Fresh bread & butter sprinkled with sea salt. Chilled glass of Cava.
Mains, I had the duck, which was one of the best plates of duck I've ever had. Absolutely delicious, just couldn't fault it. My husband had coley, which he said was "incredibly salty". He said the salt totally overpowered & spoilt the dish. Fat hand cut chips ( 11 of them between us! ) & vegetables came @ £3.50 PER PORTION. I REALLY object to this. If you're paying for a meal, potatoes & veg should come WITH the meal & not cost extra.
We decided to pay £4.50 extra for dessert. My husband had the cheese board, which came with 2 types of cheese, celery, grapes, chutney & biscuits, which he thoroughly enjoyed. I had the lemon brûlée with citrus biscuits. The brûlée did not taste of lemon, but the biscuits did. A bit disappointing. We then had coffee which was very good, but @ £3.00 PER COFFEE.
Service was polite, courteous & lovely. Toilets & public areas spotlessly clean.
Although we enjoyed our experience @ The Bonham on the whole, it's the prices of "extras" that really puts a bad taste in the mouth.
Not wheelchair accessible.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Having read the food reviews on trip advisor I knew this place was going to be good. It way surpassed our expectations though, especially with the main course, which was the most incredible pork belly and black pudding we have ever had - and this is coming from two die-hard pork fans.

Service was excellent - friendly and professional yet not ott.

Book us in for our next trip to Edinburgh.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple