“Excellent hotel”
Review of The Bonham

The Bonham
Ranked #46 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Recently booked a short break at this hotel directly through the hotel website. Arrived to a friendly welcome from the receptionist, who recalled speaking with me regarding parking and dinner reservations- a good start.
Room was good, clean and well presented with twin beds(as requested) Spectacular views from the bay window across Edinburgh to the Forth. A handwritten note welcoming us to the hotel was left on the table as well as two macaroons!
The bathroom was clean and well appointed, but we noticed a slight problem with the toilet. On contacting reception regarding this we were quickly, and without fuss moved to another room, as good as the first room.
We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel,dinner was excellent and breakfast was fine too.
Staff- every member of staff we encountered was friendly, but professional and always offering assistance.
All in all we had a great stay and would be likely to return again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the third floor for excellent views
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Bonham

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Lovely place to stay, the view from my room was fabulous, rm 315 you could see all of leith, deans bridge, very nice watching the moon come up. Room was perfect, staff were perfect. Will definitely come again but with company next time. The bed was divine and slept so very well. So close to everything but far enough away from the hustle bustle of Edinburgh princes street and George street. I had booked a taxi for an early flight home and the taxi was waiting and the staff member on duty was very polite and helped me out to the car in my heels. :-)

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have been meaning to review The Bonham for a year now since we chose The Bonham for our wedding reception last year and I have only just got around to writing this review!
The reason I wanted to write this review was that when I was 'googling' for reviews on weddings held at The Bonham, I could find very little and at the time I was a bit concerned about this because 1. I wanted to ensure that the hotel was going to be able to cope with the wedding on the day and 2. I had no other couple's review to go on at all! I am therefore writing this review for other couples who are considering choosing The Bonham for their wedding reception.

Firstly, my husband and I could not have been happier about choosing The Bonham for our wedding reception. The staff at The Bonham were so incredibly helpful, thoughtful and totally on the ball about everything from the organising and preparation months before hand (taking in orders, organising decorations) to everything on the day (all the little touches like the gorgeous champagne glasses that weren't the standard flutes to having our wedding flowers put into the bridal parties rooms the next day) and the whole weekend where all of our friends and family stayed at The Bonham for 3 nights. Nothing was too much trouble and they were truly a fantastic team, doing everything possible to make our day so so special.

The thing I loved about The Bonham was that it wasn't a typical 'wedding hotel' where it feels like every wedding is the same and it's all a bit of a conveyor belt. Our day felt really unique and we were able to create the wedding that we wanted, not what the hotel wanted.

I have added a few photos to show you just how lovely the restaurant looked set up for our wedding reception. Even the backdrop looking out over the end table where the bridal party was, was amazing! And the food was truly delicious. Again, sometimes wedding food can be quite below standard however, our guests were raving about the delectable wedding breakfast for months afterwards!

For any bride and grooms to be, here are some wonderful suppliers that we used and would most definitely recommend to other couples:

Beautiful vintage cars: Ecosse classic cars
The most amazing florist ever, Lotte and Bloom
Gorgeous wedding cake from Valvona and Carolla (our was a combination of cheese, chocolate and traditional fruit cake!)
Somewhere for the bride to stay the night before - an amazing apartment at The Chester Residence
A fantastic way to get your guests to and from the church :) The Red Bus
An excellent and really fun band: Northern Star

Thank you to The Bonham and the fantastic team for a truly amazing wedding day!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank MatildaElizabeth
Reviewed March 24, 2013

A former dweller of Edinburgh I am always pleased to return North of the Border. It seemed a great opportunity to stay in a hotel in an area close to my business assignment and with which I am very familiar. What a disheartening place. An unfriendly receptionist met me at 1030pm and I almost wondered whether I looked like an unsavoury person given her unfriendliness upon my arrival. Little help was forthcoming about how to get to my room. When i did get there i found a tired dreary place with dim lighting, slightly grubby room appearance and the rest of facilities having seen better days- hardly the glamourous elegance one was lead to believe would be in store. In the bathroom the corner bath made me laugh, and not much else did. Unless I was a giant clambering in and out was like ascending Everest....a health hazard in itself.
The worst was to come...In the middle of the night, at the deadly hour of 3am, the phone rang shrilly. I answered. No-one was there. I put the phone down. 10 minutes later it rang again. No-one there This went on two more times until in despair I got out of bed and crawled around to pull the plug out. I can assume only that someone had set an alarm that had not been turned off. I explained this and the effect on me next morning (not good to put it mildly!) to the duty manager behind reception. He fixed me with a supercilious smile and almost accused me of lying. There will be no more business from me or any other fellow business travellers that I know. Perhaps they are not interested in having individual guests stay there. It did seem that way and it is shame that this will tarnish the Scottish reputation for hospitality.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Liz2009London
thebonham, General Manager at The Bonham, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your experience at The Bonham.
I am so sorry that we did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.
I will be in contact to you personally to discuss all aspects of your stay and will be addressing the areas you have highlighted with my team.

Thank you once again.

Kind regards

Johanne Falconer

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I expected a lot more from this hotel, impressed upon arrival, lovely décor and location. Reception staff slightly snooty, I then went to find my room, in the basement level, window facing directly into a car-park at the rear of the building. The room itself was down a series of corridors, felt very isolated, especially for a lone female. I don't actually believe the room was a usual 'guest' room. The number was velcro'd on, there was no directional signage to get there, I think a staff room was opposite as the door kept on slamming thorough-out the night waking me up, then in the morning I got woken early by the cleaner going through the cleaners cupboard next door. The room itself was a good sign, but made up with random un-matching furniture. Definitely had the feel of an after-thought room that is more than likely used for staff working early shifts. To be fair, I didn't complain, I was up there for work and didn't have the time. This has put me off every staying there again though, which is a shame as the location is good for the office.

Room Tip: Can't remember if it was room 5 or 6. It's the one down a series of corridors in the basemen...
Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed at the Bonham on the 22nd march on their offer """"Friday Girls Night.""" Which included Dinner Bed Breakfast plus wine in room and sweets.There were four girls two rooms between us... Rooms were lovely.. Three course dinner was very good same menu as other diners only one supplement on one of the starters(scallops)£3.00 which was good value which I had....excellent and one on main meal (duck) ... 3rd course desert was anything including cheese and biscuits...we love our meal and wine was reasonable prices...service excellent.... Will go again ... We all loved... And one of my girls wants to go with her husband for there wedding anniversary in may... Well done Bonham...

Room Tip: We had rooms 200 and 203 both great
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank mcminnxx
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I bought an itison voucher for this hotel and having never previously heard of it (neither had any friends and family I spoke to) I didn't quite know what to expect. But it turned out that everything was even better than I had hoped: The hotel is nice and clean, the staff were very friendly whilst maintaining their professionlism and the food was amazing!
Our room was very large with a small table and chair next to big bay windows overlooking the forth. We had breakfast delivered to the room as well which was a lovely treat!
If you are looking to stay in the West End of Edinburgh (there are some excellent bars at that end as well) or you don't mind the 20minute walk to the Royal Mile then I would highly recommend this hotel. The only things I would warn against is the parking is limited, we were lucky enough to get the last space.
Overall we were very happy with every element of our stay and would definitely consider going back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on a high floor. On one side of the hotel is the castle and princes stree...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple