The Bonham Hotel
Ranked #48 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 5, 2012

It's about 8 years since I've stayed in the Bonham. Staying there again I can report nothing at all has changed. On the whole this was good - the quality of the hotel is very good indeed. However, if nothing at all changes in years to come, the hotel is going to become tired - something it's possibly already in danger of. I think it could do with a bit of a facelift in some respects. the reception area with its ice cream cone shaped chair has been a centrepiece for a decade - surely time for a change. The main attraction though is the bedroom. Mine was enormous, with a spacious bay window area with luxurious velvet curtains. The bed was a four poster and was perfectly comfortable. The bathroom was also very spacious but lacking in accessories. They were Molton Brown but no moisturising cream. Also thought that shower curtains were a bit mouldy and smelly - a proper shower unit rather than shower in bath would have been much better. Also usual Edinburgh hotel problem - no Radio 4 after 5pm - why is this? It's nuts. I was only here for one night on business. If you're staying for a few days leisure, you'll adore staying here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,396)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This 49 room hotel located only a few minutes walk from the shops of Edinburgh is in a nice Georgian street looking onto a triangle of trees. The staff were very friendly and informative particularly the Portuguese woman at reception and the Spanish woman who was standing in as temporary barman during our stay.

The room was spacious and bright (room 300) with lots of space to put our things. The view was good from the window over the square (triangle). No faults here at all. Comfy. I live in the country where it is quite, so for me the traffic starting to flow from 6am onwards woke me up a couple of times. The tram works in Edinburgh has temporarily altered traffic flows making the street outside the hotel have more traffic than would be normal.

The restaurant had good food. The reason for the four stars not making it to five is that the menu was restrictive in that there were not many choices per course. The food itself was excellent, well cooked and presented. The staff were good here also. Breakfast was well cooked with a good spreaqd of fruits, meats, breads etc. The orange juice was freshly squeezed real oranges. A treat.

Worthy of a visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if like me your are not used to traffic noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sheena59
Reviewed November 4, 2012

They call themselves a boutique hotel, although I'm never quite sure what that means. I guess it means don't expect a pool, gym etc, which is fine, when I was in Edinburgh on business all I really needed was somewhere to crash for the night.

I got there at 6pm, reception staff were very polite. Got my key, up the stairs to my first floor room at the back of the hotel (very quiet) and straight into the shower. It was a shower over the bath, but perfectly good all the same. A quick change of cloths and then out for dinner. Back at midnight and straight to sleep (very quiet).

Breakfast the next morning was fabulous, none of this buffet rubbish. Cooked specifically to order and my "well done back bacon" was excellent.

Overall, if you need a quick overnight stopover in Edinburgh then I'd thoroughly recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2012

six of us met here for afternoon tea and wow we had a fantastic afternoon. We were shown to a small private room up some stairs which was set up just for us and our waiter was amazing given that two of us had special dietary requirements. It was clear that our afternoon tea was freshly prepared for us, The sandwiches were plentiful with a variety of fillings and the cakes and scones were light and freshly baked. Our waiter was attentive but not intrusive and we were not hurried at all spending some three hours here. such a good experience we have all agreed to return and some of us will stay next time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed here the night before I got married and was greeted by really friendly staff and offered an upgrade but was a little disappointed that they wanted to charge me for it, only £50, but a little mean all the same.
However, the upgrade was well worth it as the suite was steeped in luxury, spacious and comfortable. The butler service was fun and I made the most of that with my friends as we sipped champagne.
The bar area is a little small, if not disappointing so best head into Edinburgh if you want a little more life and entertainment.
The decor is plush and the staff keen to please but the little things, for example charging for an upgrade the night before your wedding and offering a glass of procesco rather than champagne on the house, takes away from that luxury feel and makes you feel like they are counting the pennies rather than wanting to indulge their guests.
The breakfast offered a wide range of food from continental to full Scottish cooked breakfast and anything you wanted in between; the service was excellent.
This hotel is good if you want it within walking distance or a short taxi ride into the city centre but desire peace and quiet and night. It is also good if you want a taste of luxury at a reasonable price. It doesn't match up to its sister hotel The Howard but it is really trying to!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2012

my wife and I stayed here during the festival and managed to get a pretty good room rate for 4 nights. location is good, a short stroll from the city centre.
rooms were decent, nothing spectacular and quite small. A special mention for the restaurant, it is fantastic, especially the breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank acart787
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for my birthday morning. Had a meal here last night best meal I've ever had. Staff are unbelievably friendly and attentive. Just about to check out breakfast in bed was amazing too. Had the beat stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
thebonham, General Manager at The Bonham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

I am so pleased that you had such an enjoyable experience at The Bonham.

I will be passing on your comments to all of my team, especially the kitchen brigade and restaurant team.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to The Bonham very soon.

Kind regards