“A real taste of Russia in Edinburgh”
Review of Russian Passion - CLOSED

Russian Passion
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Can you imagine, if you live in Scotland this would be the only place with piroshky - Russian pasty with a choice of fillings, then Borsch, followed by favorite Russian dessert. This authentic Russian cafe in Edinburgh. Call to reserve the place.
“A real taste of Russia in Edinburgh”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Been here about 6 times now for lunch and I love the place! It's fantastic to try Russian food in Edinburgh. All food is homemade to a high standard, the 2 staff are so nice and help you pick what to eat, good hot or cold Russian drinks too! The cafe is always clean with good seating and staff always welcome you! You must visit!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“this is the real Russian food”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The best russian restaurants we've found in UK)))) We were sooooo glad to find such a friendly and really tasty place far away from home. I believe that it all depends from the chef, and this is the place where people truly want to make a good food. And you can feel that it is made with love) Honestly, I can compare it only with my mother's cooking! I
I really wish foreigh people to try THIS KIND of russian cuisine.. not only our drinks)))))
P.S. I advise to try bean soup (delicious), borsh, olivie, uffffff.....ok, try everything)))))

• Visited November 2012
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“A real taste of Russia”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

When I think of Russia, I think of alcoholic men bareknuckle fighting a grizzly bear, people queuing up for 12 hours to buy toilet roll, and Uncle Jo Stalin, my favourite genocidal dictator. I also never had much of an opinion of Russian food and being the ignorant xenophobe that I am I never envisaged myself eating here.
Alas however I was wrong, this place is an absolute gem of a cafe and well worth a visit, its authentic, the food is excellent and I imagine completely different from what many of us are used to. Try the beef borsch its delicious and all dishes are very reasonably priced.
I will definitely be back.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Stu A
Edinburgh
“Different but nice”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Intrigued by some of the earlier reviews on Tripadvisor, we recently had dinner at this little known restaurant on the fringe of Edinburgh’s New Town. The first thing to note is that dinner must be booked ahead. You cannot walk in and expect to be served. First, check the menu and availability from the Russian Passion website and then phone or email them with your choice of dishes and your preferred date. And don’t be surprised if they knock you back. The restaurant is tiny and can get booked out very quickly.

Assuming you overcome all of these obstacles, you are in for a bit of a treat. Russian Passion is run by a mother/daughter combination from Moscow and claims to be the only authentic Russian restaurant in Edinburgh. I have no reason to doubt that although the menu displayed a surprising lack of stodge - something I tend to associate with Eastern European food.

We both opted for salads to start with - partner chose chicken, I went for fish. Both were tasty and well presented. Mains were meat cutlets (partner) and zharkoe (me) - a hearty beef stew. All washed down with a very decent Merlot we had brought along with us. They have no wine list and encourage you to bring your own bottle. A definite plus, in my view.

We finished off with Berry Vareniki, which I can only describe as a sort of raspberry ravioli. Not particularly to my taste although partner seemed well pleased with it.

Overall, a very pleasant meal at a reasonable price from a charming couple who are keen to promote a distinctive style of cooking. And very good it is too. Give them a try if you happen to be in Edinburgh and are looking for something a little out of the ordinary.

NOTE: they are also open for lunch when I think you can walk in off the street and even order a takeaway.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank shug67
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Am hooked!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We vsited this cafe on Friday evening with two friends, and we're all agreed that the food is absolutely fantastic. It's certainly an unusual experience though. The cafe is tiny - it can accommodate up to eight at a squeeze and we were the only people there. You need to plan your menu three days in advance, which is also a little unusual. However, it was well worth the forward planning. Like Maria the owner, I'm vegetarian and there was plenty of choice - the pumpkin and cheddar cheese piroshky was very tasty, while I've never eaten a better mushroom stroganoff. My friends thought the fish dishes were exquisite too. And the desserts are superb. My Medovik Cheese was scrummy. I highly recommend this place and we'll definitely be returning. Maria and her mum do all the cooking and were perfect hosts.

• Visited June 2012