“Expensive”

Ranked #20 of 418 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Take a barrel ride as you actually become part of the whisky making process. Experience for yourself our regional whiskies and whether you like fruity, sweet or smoky flavours our experts will help you select your perfect dram.Enter the vault containing the world's largest collection of Scotch Whiskies and enjoy a special tutored nosing and tasting. Explore Scotland's whisky history from the very beginnings through to the global success of today.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Too expensive for the experience in itself. I wasn't impressed and I was most looking forward to it in our group. Whisky was also of poor quality.

2  Thank Charlotte N

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I loved this tour. The little ride at the beginning was fun, made me feel like a kid at Disneyworld, if Disneyworld was full of delicious scotch! The walking part of the tour and then the seated guided A/V tour was interesting and informative and I loved the little scratch and sniff cards that let you help decide which type of scotch to try. The collection of scotch at the end was a real sight to behold and I loved the tasting room where you could relax at the end and taste some scotch at your leisure. If you're really already into scotch, I would recommend NOT doing the tasting which samples a lot of more well known scotches and instead just select your own from their enormous selection of bottles and sip at your leisure.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

The tour starts with a short "barrel" ride which is fun even for kids. We are not whisky drinkers, but thought "when in Scotland", we should find out more. It was interesting to hear about the different regions and to see the huge impressive collection of whisky bottles. I felt we were hurried out of the room too quickly and since we ended up dumping some of our pour of whisky as a result. We were not really encouraged to remain in the bar either.

1  Thank sarahcuse
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Just popped in for a rest on a warm day. Gaelic coffee delicious. A wee dram selected with help from excellent staff. Great cakes for the kids. Good value for money (relatively).

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Only a moderate drinker of scotch and whiskey this was a most informative experience. Learnt a lot about what makes a scotch and the variations within the drink. The guide we had was amazing and knowledgable.