“A fun day out and better than the average museum attraction”
Review of Dynamic Earth

Dynamic Earth
Ranked #78 of 396 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A visit to Dynamic Earth is like nothing else on Earth. It's a chance to experience the primeval forces of nature as they shaped our planet, to journey through space and time and even go on a 4DVENTURE around the world. You'll be embarking on the interactive adventure of a lifetime - the lifetime of our planet. As if this wasn't enough, Dynamic Earth is home to Scotland's only 360 degree full dome film theatre. We have a variety of films showing throughout the year.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I visited with four wee boys (7 &10) and all enjoyed the experience. The displays were informative and enaging and there was the potential to learn loads. Favourites were the plate techtonics and flight simulator exhibits. The cafe was good with a fair deal of 2 adult and 2 child hot meals, with drinks for £20. Coffee was lovely too. Gift shop full of a good mix of children's day out 'tat' and genuine geological souvineers

1  Thank Sarah M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,285)
All reviews
"couple of hours"
in 45 reviews
"dark side"

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is the ideal antidote to the rather stuffy exhbitions at Edinburgh Castle! Although I agree with some of the contributors that bits of the exhibition need a bit of a freshen-up, our under-10s really loved it - and carried on asking questions for the rest of the holiday. The live science experiments were brilliant; and on a practical level, it was really accessible and the cafe was well-priced and imaginative.

1  Thank Millie230
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Definitely worth a visit. Fascinating experience. We arrived at opening time, very quiet, so could take our time going round.

1  Thank Janet H
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Good value for money. We are two 60 + visitors and really enjoyed our visit. It was informative and entertaining. A good family outing which would appeal to all ages. The 3d effects were good as was the 360% film theatre. The food offered on sale was reasonably priced and a good choice..
Lots of places to eat if you prefer a picnic.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have been here before and I found it amazing! I was so excited to see another 360 degree film and I was so disappointed. The last one we saw a couple of year ago was on space and it was just amazing, this time it was on dinosaurs and was really disappointing. The film was very cheesy and t be honest I was so gutted as I had enjoyed the film so much the first time.

Eilidh M, Manager at Dynamic Earth, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thanks for your comments regarding your recent visit. I was disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy our new dome film 'Dinosaurs at Dusk'. After various comments we have established that this particular film is more enjoyable to a younger audience and as such we have re-introduced two alternative films to offer a wider selection to our visitors this summer. We now offer Dinosaurs at Dusk, We Are Aliens and We Are Astronomers. I hope you manage to visit us again in the future.