“Comfort”

Ranked #15 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Calgary
“Comfort”
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Enjoyable stay, wonderful bed, great location. The staff were friendly, room service & restaurant of excellent quality. The spa is amazing. I wanted a nice safe clean hotel with no hassles for a relaxing stay, and this hotel was perfect on these points.
I'll come back, but do watch for special rates as you can get a deal. The view was amazing!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank CdnSingle
SheratonEdinburgh, Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 17, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a Trip Advisor review following your stay with us.

I’m delighted to read that you were satisfied with every aspect of your stay at the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa. It is very much appreciated that you took the time to share your positive experience with other travelers.

With warm regards,

JP Kavanagh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Just returned from a weekend spent at the Sheraton in Edinburgh and I must say that my husband and I were very disappointed. We stayed in a king club room with a view of the castle. Yes, it technically did have a view of the castle, but our room's position at the end of the hall showed only a sliver of it. We did have an excellent view of the giant TV that's in the courtyard outside. Good for checking the weather forecast, but it's a strange location for a jumbotron and it's quite bright so we had to keep our curtains closed once the sun went down.
When we checked in, we were told we were upgraded (my husband is platinum SPG), but we received the same room that we had booked. The rooms are ok, but showing wear, especially the wood which is becoming warped and beat up. The bathroom is very small and the floor was dirty when we checked in. Nice Bliss bath products though. The bed was very comfortable (as usual for a Sheraton) and aside from the bathroom, the room was clean. We certainly know the hallway was clean as we were woken up on Sunday morning to the vacuum cleaner bumping against our door.
As Platinum guests, we had free access to the club lounge for breakfast. Free or not, this was the saddest breakfast I've ever seen. If it were fully stocked, it would have been fine, but almost everything was running low or completely gone (we arrived with more than 2 hours left for the breakfast so it was not the end of the morning). There were no pastries, bread, orange juice and many of the plates, glasses and cutlery were not stocked either. My husband and I shared a single plate and 2 pieces of toast (all that was on that buffet table) and I had to choose 3 knives before finding a clean one. Most of the tables had not been cleaned and we had to look around to find somewhere to sit. We saw 3 employees working the breakfast area - 1 girl seemed to be doing her best, running around trying to replenish items and checking people's access to the area; 1 girl seemed to be clearing tables, but not doing a very good job considering so many tables were dirty; and the last woman was folding napkins! We couldn't believe it when we saw so many other things that needed attention.
Other negatives: No concierge was ever on duty so we had to go behind the desk to get our own pamphlets, the elevators in the hotel were incredibly slow and the elevators at the fitness complex didn't work at all.
Positives: The restaurant Santini (technically part of the One Fitness complex) where we had a very good and reasonably priced dinner, the location was good - a 10 minute walk to Edinburgh castle.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank freqbustrav
Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to say thank you for taking the time to write the review you posted on Trip Advisor. We do value all feedback from our guests, as this is the only way to ensure we continue to grow and evolve as a business.

I would like to assure you that I do read all reviews and act on any specific comments in them immediately. I’m really sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay with us, in particular with regards to your bathroom, breakfast and the concierge service. Please know that this was well below our usual standards and I have followed up with the relevant manager.

On the other hand thank you for sharing your positive comments about the Santini restaurant and our central location.

I can only apologise that we could not have done more for you during your stay. I would welcome the opportunity to make amends should your travels ever bring you back to Edinburgh.

The Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
kevjane
Reviewed July 8, 2009

We saw a bargain deal to stay in a king room so snapped up the oportunity. We was not dissapointed loads of wood panelling sweeping staircases. The room was great (not a great view) very clean with huge bed and good bathroom complete with fluffy dressing gowns ect. We cannot comment on the breakfast as this was not included but we had such great weather we breakfasted in princess street gardens (2 mins walk) by the fountain looking up at the castle. Location of the hotel was spot on just 10 mins walk through the gardens from waverly rail station and 5mins walk up to the castle and the royal mile. We did not use the swimming pool or the rooftop jacuzi but it seemed popular as we saw plenty of people in there fluffy dressing gowns making there way to the 5th floor. Also looking at spa treatment menu it looked very expensive we compared to what we pay in the Maldives. Please note that upon arrival you enter on the 2nd floor and at first we could not find reception until a staff member lead us to the lift and directed us to the basement?

Dear Guest,

I would like to say thank you for posting your review of the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa.

I was delighted to read of your recent stay here with us. Our goal is to make sure that each visit is a special one and I do hope we achieved this during your stay.

I’m sorry to read that you found the way to our reception located on the ground floor confusing, but I hope that it didn’t have an influence on your overall positive experience.

With best regards,

Glasgow
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Where do I start...Okay, from the web it looks very inviting with a pool, a spa and rooms with castle views...However in reality, be prepared to pay £50 to get a sauna and jacuzzi. The pool itself has time limits for children!!? What? Are you kidding...Its hardly child friendly. The shop does not cater for any swimming aids for children so if your child needs 'water wings' or swimming goggles, be prepared to have to make the trek to the local shops.

The decor of the room was very traditional and a bit tired. We had a suite which looked onto the castle. It was like visiting my Grandmothers' house, although to be fair to her ...even she has a flat screen tv! (TV's the size of a small country!)

The bathroom was poorly finished and hardly to the standard expected from a suite in a Sheraton hotel!!

The suite looks out to the castle, but also to office buildings!! So beware of opening the curtains too quick in the morning!!

They will try and sell the 'Club Lounge' as a place to have drinks and canopies...its very stuffy, same traditional, tired furniture and is as small as a garden shed!

Simple things like quality of coffee served is very disappointing. Half full cups...?! You are paying full prices though. Not of the standard expected from the Sheraton Group.

Anyway, to finish off, if you are after a truly luxurious hotel, a room which has all the electrical mod-cons, somewhere you think...Wow!! this is lovely...I'd come back in a minute....then choose another hotel!! Trust me!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ScoGlasgow
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa. I would like to assure you that I read all reviews and act on them immediately.

I was concerned to read that you were not satisfied with the décor of your room and the club lounge. I’m sorry that the restrictions on children access to the spa gave you an impression that it is not child friendly; however I hope that you still enjoyed your experience there. I trust that if you did decide to use the rooftop Hydropool and our Thermal Suite (an extensive collection of heat and steam experiences), you found the £25 charge per person to be good value for money.

Please be assured that I have followed up on all your remarks with the relevant managers.

Should your travels ever bring you to back to Edinburgh, we do hope you would consider staying with us again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2009

This hotel is impeccable. I loved it. The staff were so so friendly, we arrived extremely early in the morning and they staff made a room available to us within an hour, we just had breakfast is the stunning Terrace resturaunt with glorious food. Our room was on the Executive 6th Floor, but seemed to be the only room that wasnt a Club Room, i did not complain as it was fabulous anyway!! Really clean and everything was there.

I can;t say enough good things about the staff!! The conceirges are so helpful to the reception staff to the waiters and my favourite waiter Andrew, who worked in the resturaunt in the evening, He didnt even bat an eye when my boyfriend had this third dessert! A true gentleman. All the staff at the spa were also so friendly and very helpful.

The location is also perfect, just minutes away from Princes Street, the castle and the gardens.

We had a fabulous time, I would recommend it to anyone and will definatly be back!!

2 Thank Estie-P
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review and rating of the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa.

We continuously strive to meet and exceed our guests expectations of 5-star service and are delighted when we achieve this. It is very much appreciated that you took the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor so that others can be assured of the level of service they will receive when they visit our hotel.

Please be assured that your kind comments about our employees will be shared with all associates at the Sheraton Grand.

As always if there is any way we can be of further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact us and hopefully we can welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

With best regards,

lanarkshire
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We traveled to the hotel on Saturday and got lost with all the road works. Phoned hotel and Stuart stayed on the phone nearly fifteen minutes giving us directions until we reached the hotel. As soon as we entered the hotel we loved it, the coal fire, the beautiful staircase and most of all the welcome we received from the staff. Had lunch (best fish and chips ever), went shopping, went for a swim, visited the club lounge. Dinner was booked for 8 in the Terrace (we were a bit late but it was not a problem) dinner was amazing. Room was lovely and had a great view of the castle, also one of the cleanest rooms we have ever stayed in. Your staff are a credit to you. Cannot wait to come back and have recommended this hotel to everyone we have spoke to since we came back. If you are looking for a relaxing stay don't go anywhere else this hotel is the best. PS the bed is to die for. I had read on other reviews that the hotel is dated, thats a personal opinion and personaly we thought it was FAB.
Regards
Carolyn.

1 Thank carolyn06
SheratonEdinburgh, Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 16, 2009
Dear Carolyn,

Thank you very much for sharing you comments about The Sheraton Edinburgh Hotel & Spa.

I will be extremely happy to share your feedback with all of our employees. Our associates are a true asset to our hotel and I’m really glad that you had such a positive experience with everyone you encountered. We believe that at Sheraton people make the difference.

Thank you ever so much for recommending our hotel to your friends and to other Trip Advisor users.

I hope that your travels will bring you back Edinburgh soon and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Brighton, UK
Reviewed June 14, 2009

I'm often in Edinburgh for business and whilst the Sheraton is not the most luxurious, nor the most modern, it's very consistent. The service is always excellent. I often arrive with camera equipment packed into flight cases, and the concierge team spot these every time and hurry out with a number of trolleys. The are put in my room and it's never a fuss.

The room are large and comfy, again won't win any design awards, but always clean, beds v comfortable and well equiped.

This is a large hotel and lots of communal areas - which i like - can easily sit down with a drink and read a paper, and just generally relax without feeling like you have to do buy a meal, or keep topping up your drinks every 5 mins.

The spa is amazing - ok you have to pay for the real spa, but the pool and gym are free for guests. The outdoor hydropool is the perfect place to unwind.

I'd call this a labradoor. Good, trusted, friendly and reliable.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank DarranUK
Dear Regular Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your review of The Sheraton Edinburgh Hotel & Spa.

It’s great to read that we are able to consistently provide you with excellent service. In our business it is crucial to provide guests with seamless experience and meet their expectations every time, so thank you for sharing your remarks with other travellers.

We hope to welcome you again soon!

Very best regards,