“Everything is extra- wifi £10 day”

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Everything is extra- wifi £10 day”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

The room is nice but when you pay £190/night thes days you expect wifi. Also you will get a much better breakfast @ all bar 1 which is just outside for half the cost. Nothing special for the price and we will not be back. Great city though to visit especially at Christmas time.

• Stayed November 2013
SheratonEdinburgh, Executive Assistant Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations but hope you will reconsider returning when you are next in Edinburgh.
Andre Brose
Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

The husband and I stayed at the Sheraton Grand for two nights. The hotel is a short walk away from Edinburgh's main attractions, but we knew this.I had booked a castle view club room, which are all based on the 7th floor (top floor) of the hotel. Those rooms entitle you to access to a so called club lounge, which offers complimentary soft drinks, cheap red and white wine, coffee and "snacks" throughout the day. Their rate also includes use of the thermal suite in the pool area and continental breakfast. As one reviewer pointed out earlier, it is a bit of a stretch to call the short break biscuits which are offered throughout the day "snacks". Truth be spoken there are some canapes on offer around dinner time, but that's the point: When I am just about to head out for dinner, I am not inclined to add a snack to my dinner. Check in was as clinical as one would expect in such a conference type hotel. What we did not expect was that I had to go all the way back to the check in area on the first floor within five minutes. As it turned out the receptionist forgot to add the club room access to our key card. The room in itself felt somewhat claustrophobic. It comes equipped with a kingsize bed, a desk, and two armchairs that are squeezed next to the window; how anyone would ever contemplate to sit in those, is beyond my imagination. The bathroom is not really a room, but a cell. It consists of a tiny bathtub - maybe a five year old can sit in it, a sink and a loo, which has been squeezed into the last corner of the cell. For the money we were asked to shell out, I would have seriously expected more. The Balmoral had the same room rates, by the way. The pool and spa area of the hotel is probably one of the largest in Edinburgh, but is in need of some refurbishment; towels are at a premium, and are nowhere to be found. We booked in for a massage on our last morning; my massage therapist, though sweet enough, was late. I soon figured out that - contrary to my original perception - it does not make any difference whatsoever, whether it is me or the massage therapist who is late; the massage ends with the allocated time slot, and that's that. The last extra we paid for was the late check out - 15:45 instead of 12:00 noon. We agreed to the extra charge of £35.00 at around 09:00am. When we tried to get out of the spa area at around 1pm we found ourselves stuck, as the key cards no longer worked. After having battled my way back to the receptionist (one cannot get access to any of the hotel's floors without a valid key card), the only comment I managed to extract was a "That's unlucky". Needless to say, I was back within five minutes, as again, the access to the priced club lounge had not been keyed into the card. Check out procedure was without any problems, but i am certainly not rushing back there, and most certainly not at the price we paid. We are quite happy to pay a lot for weekends away and holidays, but would expect the facilities to match the price; and in this instance they clearly fall short.

Room Tip: Just would not
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FerkelSuzy
SheratonEdinburgh, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to learn that there is no doubt that we did not live up to your expectations, or indeed to our own standards of operation, and you have certainly highlighted some shortcomings. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at murray.scott@sheraton.com to discuss this further. Once again please accept our sincere apologies and look forward to hearing from you.
Murray Scott
Front Office Manager
Greenock, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Spent the weekend at this hotel in Edinburgh,payed for club room thinking I was getting a good deal.The cost of this I could have got a week in spain for 2.Club room is very small for the price,snack and drink are supposed to be included,that’s if you call a biscuit and coke of 7 up snacks and drink.We went to the restaurant on Sunday,2 people where in, we got a table at the far left hand side at the window, which was freezing .As for the club lounge I wasted my money upgrading , no snacks all day poor selection of juices and drinks.The amount of money I spent on the room this was very small,in fact I payed less money in London and got double the size room.sPA IS THE ONLY GOD THING AT THIS HOTEL

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonEdinburgh, Executive Assistant Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay with us. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations and sorry that the Club package was not what you thought it was. We do serve an extensive continental breakfast daily in the Club Lounge and every evening from 5.30 to 7.30 we serve drinks and canapes . Throughout the day we offer tea, coffee and various soft drinks with cookies and some savoury snacks. I am sorry that this was not explained to you at the time of booking. On a positive note, I am pleased that you enjoyed your One Spa experience.
Thank you once again for this feedback, we genuinely appreciate it.
Kind regards
Andre Brose
Executive Assistant Manager
Bebington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Great hotel - clean and tidy with nice decor. Service was good and the staff all very attentive. Nice bar and restaurant area and the spa complex is a must with the relaxing steam rooms and the hydro pool. Breakfast in the room each morning was a touch of luxury - especially having haggis for breakfast - great selection to start day's sightseeing and shopping off right.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

I've been to the Sheraton in Edinburgh many times over the past decade and used to hate it. It was like Disneyland in Scotland - corny costumes, tasteless tartans, stags heads etc - possibly OK for the US tourist market but not what I needed. The rooms used to be very dull though functional.
But what a transformation! The lobby and check-in are now near the entrance (good idea that) and the rooms are much improved. The high-tech glass and steel interiors might not be to everyone's taste and the bathroom is perhaps a bit over visible from the rest of the room but it's well fitted out. I'm not sure I actually need to be able to change the colour of the mood lighting in the bathroom and I don't think I've been in a hotel room before where they need a special instruction manual for the lighting system. It's all a bit over the top and isn't really necessary. The big new tv froze as soon as I fired it up and the maintenance man had to come and switch the room fuse off in the hall before he could clear it but other than that the tech stuff worked ok and it was useful to be able to connect my laptop via an hdmi cable to the big screen. Having said that, they charge £12.95 for so-called "premium internet" which was nothing of the sort; certainly not fast and stable enough for smooth streaming. There's a very odd selection of tv channels which needs to be reviewed.
The room service menu is also much improved. It used to read like a take-off of a menu from a diner in the Mid-West of the US but there is now a much better choice of dishes and what I had was of good quality

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
SheratonEdinburgh, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for this review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed this and you like the hotel since the extensive refurbishment. We very much look forward to welcoming you back when you are next visiting Edinburgh.
Tristan Nesbitt
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I liked just about everything to do with my experience in this hotel. The service, from everyone, at all times, was excellent. It's uncommon to find uniformly excellent service across-the-board at a hotel, and I certainly did over the three days I spent there. The rooms are plush, very comfortable, quite spacious, and functional. The bathroom was big and very nice with the shower and bathtub, and "mood lights" that were a nice touch.

I was attending an event at the EICC, so very convenient in that regard - didn't have time for tourism, but seems to be generally well located as well (try the "Red Squirrel" pub close by).

While it is an expensive hotel, I wasn't "nickle-and-dimed" for small expenses that often happens in hotels - for example I wasn't charged for extra copies of a print-out I needed for a meeting, and when we hosted a meeting during breakfast, I didn't get charged for the coffee that some of the participants (besides me) had, even though they weren't staying in the hotel.

Well done, Sheraton, for an excellent, high-quality experience.

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Very clean, good service, very good breakfast and room service, nice lighting system in the rooms, great shower and bath and big comfortable bed.
The location is also good. I would certainly reccomend it to everyone